Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, out of nowhere my Harmony 880 which I've had for over 4 years stopped controlling everything. Everything on the actuall remote appears fine (screen working and battery fully charged) but all of my equipment is unresponsive. I did a little poking around and eventually isolated the problem to defective IR LED's (at least that's my best guess) after performing the digital camera test outlined on this web page.

http://hubpages.com/hub/HowToFixaLogitechHarmony880Remote

I don't want to get a new one as money is tight so I am contemplating replacing the IR LEDs myself. ANybody know a place in the GTA (or online) where I can get the replacement IR LED's for my 880, similar to the Radio Shack ones referenced on the website above? ANybody else tried this?

As an aside, I'm a little ticked off at the quality of this remote. Some of my hard buttons are becomming less and less responsive (volume up does not work at all) and now this.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It could also be the electronics driving the LEDs. Considering the overall condition of the remote, replacement might be the best option. TigerDirect has refurbed Harmony Ones for $135.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Before you try anything, reset it and reload your program. Then, if that doesn't work, call Logitech customer support. They just might surprise you ;) NOTE: make sure you have rated your remote "five stars" in your program set up before you call.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Quote "Some of my hard buttons are becomming less and less responsive (volume up does not work at all" My 880 remote is 3 1/2 years old and about a month ago I blew the dust off and started using it again. Volume up is a non starter on my unit also. I usually use the inner oval up/down/left/right button for volume up or down. My sympathies. sailmaker

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. I'll take you suggestion jayoldschool and call logitech support. See what they have to say, alhtough I'm not expecting much since it is well out of the warrenty period.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote "Some of my hard buttons are becomming less and less responsive (volume up does not work at all" My 880 remote is 3 1/2 years old and about a month ago I blew the dust off and started using it again. Volume up is a non starter on my unit also. I usually use the inner oval up/down/left/right button for volume up or down. My sympathies. sailmaker
For the buttons that started to give me trouble, I had to start mapping them to the soft buttons. My entire family loves the functionality of the 880 but I have real reservations about the quality of the unit, enough to make me think twice about spending $150+ on another Harmony remote if necessary.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had similar issues with my harmony remote. I opened it up and found that one of the legs on one of the two IR LED's was no longer connected to the PCB board. I ended up re-soldering all 4 connections (2 per LED) and everything started working again. When removing the LED's make sure you resolder the anode/cathodes to the correct solder pad.. you cannot reverse the polarity or the LED won't work.

I also took the button overlay off, and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol. I did the same thing to the PCB board.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'll take you suggestion jayoldschool and call logitech support. See what they have to say, alhtough I'm not expecting much since it is well out of the warrenty period.
My 880 was out of the warranty period and had the exact same issue. Logitech support was great, they deactivated my old 880 and sent me a brand new 880 (in retail packaging) with the stipulation that there was no warranty on the new device.

I didn't need to send the old remote back so I kept the battery and still have the brand-new battery that came with the replacement remote.

My dad's 880 volume up button is not responsive either so like others I just remapped two softkeys for volume up/down in all his activities.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts