Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this remote at Costco today for $140. I currently have a garage of remotes to run my system. What are the chances that this universal remote can do it all? How long will I spend programing it? I have the following equipment:

Toshiba HDTV
Bell ExpressVu 6000 Receiver
Sony Home Theater System
Sony VHS VCR
Sony DVD

All are about 8 months old.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Ron, please review the list of forums as Harmony posts go in the harmony forum.

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hugh, give me a break. This sub forum is buried a mile deep and has all of 19 threads in it. I was hoping to get some views and responses. I did a search on the whole site and did not even find this whole sub forum. I posted it in the home theater section because the issue is that I need a remote that can control a home theater set up.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ron AKA said:
I saw this remote at Costco today for $140. I currently have a garage of remotes to run my system. What are the chances that this universal remote can do it all? How long will I spend programing it? I have the following equipment:

Toshiba HDTV
Bell ExpressVu 6000 Receiver
Sony Home Theater System
Sony VHS VCR
Sony DVD

All are about 8 months old.
Here is the link. I use a Harmony 659 and would never go back to anything else. Very Very Happy with it :D :D

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help on this. In chasing down some of the links, and the other forum, I have concluded it is highly probable the 628 will do what I want. The only flag I saw was that the 628 may have fewer physical button controls (meaning I would have to do more with menu choices??). I see in an on line manual that I found they group the 628 in with the 655 and 659.

http://images.harmonyremote.com/EasyZapper/Downloads/User_Manual_600_English.pdf

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ron AKA said:
Thanks for the help on this. In chasing down some of the links, and the other forum, I have concluded it is highly probable the 628 will do what I want. The only flag I saw was that the 628 may have fewer physical button controls (meaning I would have to do more with menu choices??). I see in an on line manual that I found they group the 628 in with the 655 and 659.

http://images.harmonyremote.com/EasyZapper/Downloads/User_Manual_600_English.pdf
Have a look at the factorydirect.ca site as they have the Harmony 659 on Sale with a Mail in Rebate which brings the units down to $89 cdn. As well they also have free shipping.

If you really want to verify if the Harmony remote in question will fit your bill, you can go on-line to the Hardmony site, register and set-up a profile with all the equipment you have listed. When you do acquire the remote, you can login in and your profile is ready to be downloaded into the Harmony remote.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have a 628 controlling my

9200 PVR
Sony HDTV
Sony A/V
JVC VCR
Panasonic DVD player
GI 450 C Band receiver
DSR-905 4DTV sidecar
Windows MCE 2005 computer

There's nothing this little baby can't do. :tup:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I got the 628 at Future Shop. I'm no expert, in fact just the opposite. My 628 replaced 4 other remotes in less than an hour. Been working fine for two weeks now. I'm going to add a VCR, (already have DVD player) and upgrade my speaker system and am not worried I'll have trouble adding everything.

Just don't rush into buying,,wait for a deal somewhere. I found the deal here at Didgital because someone alerted us that Future Shop was having a sale at X-Mas. I paid 89 or 99, sent in a coupon and will get 10 or 20.00 back.

I looked and looked, I took the 628 because of the deal but others here swear by their model as well.

This 628 is so good I can do stuff with my receiver I could not figure out before. Like I said, I'm useless at this stuff, Harmony makes it easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts