Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I feel like a blockhead, but I can't find any advice on how to do what I want. I've read the manuals, scoured the web sites and forums -- but no luck.

I'd like my Harmony to do this on the "Watch TV" activity:

1. Turn on AVR
2. Wait 3 seconds
3. Turn on TV
4. Turn on PVR

I have fiddled with "Power-on" delays, and various other timing and delay parameters.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
You are on the right track. The power-on sequence for the devices must be AVR, TV, and then PVR. Change the Inter-Device Delay for the TV to 30000ms.

The Power-on delay is used with a specific device to specify the amount of time that is required AFTER the device is turn on before another command is to be sent to that device.

This is one solution, but can you explain the reason for needing the 3 second delay as there may be an alternate solution.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See "Goofy Colours" Thread

Hi Bplayer:

Thanks for your help.

I've set the TV intr-device delay to the max (2 sec) and this makes no difference.

Any other ideas most welcome.

I've been having endless power-on problems -- doubtless related to HDMI handshaking between PVR - AVR - TV. On power-up of activity "Watch TV", I get about equal numbers of "no picture", "goofy colours", and "all is good".

TV -- Samsung LN46C610
AVR -- Pioneer VSX-525-K
PVR -- Motorola DCX-3400M

All have the latest firmware.

More detail at this older thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=133846

In the Harmony Remote software (V 7.7.0), only Inter-key delay and Input Delay can be set. Power-on delay and Inter-device delay can only be set on the Harmony remote itself. Inter-device delay cannot be set above 2 sec.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Call Logitech Customer Support and they can add a larger delay in you profile. There is no charge if you are still within the free support window.

The alternative is to define a dummy device with fake power on codes and set the Inter-device Delay to makeup the difference. Place this device in power on sequence between the AVR and TV

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Note: Since the Inter-device delay is also invoked during normal operation, make the dummy device(s) (use 2 if needed) absorb most of the delay to allow for a smaller Inter-device delay for the TV.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great Logitech Service

Hi All:

I called Logitech support today, and after a few transfers, spoke to a sharp and personable tech in Mississauga. He was able to modify the XML programming behind my troublesome "Activity", and ensure that the AVR turned on first, and then no other devices turned on for 4 seconds.

This seems to have been the solution, and I am in Harmony heaven.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Good to hear. Note: This is a Logitech custom setting, so make sure you don't touch the option "Review the order in which devices are powered on".

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right You Are

Hi jlet:

I agree with you.

I should have asked the tech how to "archive" the Activity. But I didn't.

As of now, I'm glad it worked out; but I'm also apprehensive about making any changes to the Activity.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
As of now, I'm glad it worked out; but I'm also apprehensive about making any changes to the Activity.
Good to hear that it has been properly configured. There are two other cautions:

1. I have seen a report that the change was lost after a firmware change. If your remote is working perfectly you may want to avoid doing a firmware change.

2. Not sure what will happen when you add or change devices, but keep this in mind when you are planning any replacements.

There will be a charge when your free support runs out. I think the free period is 3 months after purchase, check the web site to confirm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts