Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Telus Optik TV. The router that I have has wired connections for a fast ethernet 10/100. I would like to put in a gigabit switch for my LAN and then connect it to the Telus router box.

Is there any issues that I should be aware of before I start changing things?

·
Registered
129 Posts
It will likely be fine, if the TV boxes are running through the switch then it will need to pass multicast traffic - which most switches should.

Which modem do you have from Telus? The current Actiontec already does Gigabit ethernet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

The router I have is the D-link DVA G3810BN.

I was going to leave the TV boxes as connected since they are connected using coax from the Telus modem.

Thanks again for your response!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you sure that the coax is connected to the modem and not to the D-Link?
I have a similar issue, but the TV coax is connected to the D-link. There is no coax connection on the modem.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The Dlink is a modem/router. Some people still have the Dlink all by itself, in which case it will have the phone, ethernet and coax cables.

Some people still have the ALU and Dlink, in which the ALU connects to a phone jack, then runs ethernet to the Dlink to handle the rest.

All of those should eventually be upgraded to an Aciontec, replacing both configurations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts