Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I travel a lot with (and without) my RV (fulltimer) I currently have a Shaw HS connection and phone this will be changing. I have used Skype for several years but am still annoyed they do not provide Canadian numbers so have just created a voip.ms account. 90% of my communication is online but the other 10% I need a number for incoming calls (just got a toll free and iNum on voip.ms)Skype does the rest for me.

I use a laptop and headset. My question is-without a dedicated internet provider account what do I need to set up an ATA? ie I am in a campground that supplies internet but normally just use my laptop and do not have my own router for x provider. Obi100 + wireless router? how would that work in a campground RV park where I stay for 6-8 months and change locations.
Maybe I do not even need a phone and should just stick with a quality headset? My Microsoftchat 3000 headset works fine with Skype. I just got a new HS after 2 years and lots of use with my last set and it is crummy on voip.ms ..a LOT of breakup/crackle. Seattle router/premium rates.
If anyone uses only a softphone can you recommend a better quality headset? or any tweaks for better quality?
Thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
I'm often on the road too (not RV'ing, regretably) and use the softphone provided by my provider (Phone Power) the headset I use is a Sony Bluetooth one, noise cancellation excellent sound and mobility is un-paralleled. I do not know if the break-ups you experience is b/c of your headset, softphonr or voip provider.
I know other people that are on the move cross-country and they often use nettalk duo or majicJack for exact same reasons as you had mentioned
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have decided to stay with the softphone and the breakup seems to have improved. I will look at some other headset reviews and I do like Sony so that may be an option. thanks for your response :)
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top