Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Seeing as this pc is running 100x faster I ordered a cheap video card to use Instead of the chipset. Its crazy the difference a new HD will make. Thanks for all the help fellas

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok, allocated the unallocated space to drive d: now but I dont know how to merge it to c:

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
The problem is probably that there are now 5 partitions which is incompatible with a basic disk layout (MBR) and/or the COMPAQ partition is incompatible with Windows. Windows either does workarounds to get around it or refuses to work with it. You don't want either to happen.

Use the following instructions. Use a disk utility as suggested above. You may have to create a boot disk for the disk utility but try it from Windows first.
1. If it was created, delete the *new* D: partition at the end of the drive. There should again be 633 GB of unallocated space.
2. Delete the FACTORY_IMAGE partition. It's probably what's causing the problems.
3. Move the 450MB recovery (disk 0 partition3) partition to the end of the drive. There should now be a continuous unallocated space of 643GB directly following the COMPAQ C: partition.
4. Expand the COMPAQ C: partition to include the unallocated space on the drive.
5. Commit the changes. The utility will probably need to reboot to make the changes.

Optional:
1. Shrink the COMPAQ C: partition by moving the start 250MB.
2. Expand the 100MB SYSTEM partition to 350MB by including the newly freed space.
3. Commit the changes.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Susan:
Cheap Windows 10 licence keys from the web are definitely dubious. MS charges full price for a licence. OEM licences are supposed to be used for clean installs on new machines only.
Upgrades from Win 7 may well still be free (opinions vary) - I did this recently using a "MediaCreationTool 1903.exe" from September 2019. Seems to authenticate using the Win 7 licence. Offered me a choice of a clean install or retention of existing programs and files (I chose the latter).
Clone backups to a new SSD or HD seem to work fine so long as you don't change the mboard and video card at same time.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Clone backups to a new SSD or HD seem to work fine so long as you don't change the mboard and video card at same time.
Didn't for me about three years ago (cloning a laptop HDD to SD). Windows activation failed - called into their support (yes actual phone support!) and explained what I had done and the guy happily reactivated it for me.

Now maybe their policy and how they calculate the "fingerprint" of the system has since changed to not include the HDD. I sure hope that's the case.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
Last I read they had a point system. Changing the HDD or SSD will add points. If other things have been changed recently, such as a video card or motherboard, it could cause deactivation. A new motherboard and CPU will almost always cause deactivation. Microsoft counts that as a new PC. I've noticed that Microsoft has relaxed the rules a bit with Windows 10 and digital licenses. If you change the registration to a digital license using a Microsoft login it seems to always work, at least with retail licenses. The automated system where license key activation fails and you ask for a call back seems to work almost all the time as well. It's just a nuisance to type in all those verification characters.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I just replaced my daughter's HP Envy 27 1TB hard drive with a SSD. I logged in with a different MS account and it activated OK. The PC just screams now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is very possible to fix it because Windows 10 comes with some native tools that helps us to to fix the majority of the problems that we face on our PCs. The most of the issues I fix by the help of YouTube, usually I copy the problem that is shown on the screen and paste on the search bracket, then I do the same thing as that programmer guy and everything gets fixed. The most of the problems I met when switched the operating system from MacOS to Windows with the help of BootCamp Assistant and I needed a lot of drivers. The idea is that not all the drivers that were downloaded were able to work, sometimes I was downloading old drivers and then driver update software in order to make it work.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts