Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ESPN has dropped Hank Williams Jr. from opening Monday Night Football tonight after Williams' controversial comments Monday about President Obama.

I guess he won't be ready for Monday Night Football.

Williams, perhaps best known for his "are you ready for some football?" lead-in to ESPN's Monday Night Football, Monday compared this summer's so-called golf summit between Obama and House Speaker John Boehner as "one of the biggest political mistakes ever."

As Williams put it on Fox News' Fox & Friends: "It would be like Hitler playing golf with (Israeli leader) Benjamin Netanyahu."

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hanks for the memories, but I prefer Beyonce's mammaries!

They might eventually bring Hank back, but only if he promises to appear on Dancing With The Stars.

Not to be outdone, Faith Hill recently announced that The History Channel bores her to death because Hitler is in too many shows. At least that's what she might have said if anybody cared enough to ask her.

For now, let Beyonce replace Hank ...

Now that you are out of our lives,
We're so much better,
You thought that we'd be weak without ya,
But we're stronger,
You thought that we'd be broke without ya,
But we're richer,
You thought that we'd be sad without ya,
We laugh harder,
You thought we wouldn't grow without ya,
Now we're wiser,
You thought that we'd be helpless without ya,
But we're smarter,
You thought that we'd be stressed without ya,
But we're chillin'
You thought that you could mention Hitler,
But he killed 'bout 6 million
And your career!

[Chorus]
I'm a Holocaust survivor,
I'm not gonna give up,
I'm not gonna stop,
I'm gonna work harder,

I'm gonna make it,
I will survive,
Keep on survivin',

I'm not gonna give up,
I'm not gonna stop,
I'm gonna work harder,

I'm gonna make it,
I will survive,
Keep on survivin'.

Are you ready for some football?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When your an employee, you sometimes need to keep your mouth shut.

The NFL trys to portray itself as patriotic family friendly entertainment which cares for the community. They don't want to be perceived as political.

Having a person who is identified with your product liken your commander-in-chief to Hitler doesn't look good on the league.

Probably a smart business decision to get rid of him.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey I wonder what it would be like to have Mel Gibson and Hank Williams Jr. play golf together ;)

·
Registered
828 Posts
Just an hour earlier, Fox and Friends co-anchor Gretchen Carlson was bemoaning the attention given to Roseanne Barr over her behead the millionaires comment. "Why do we even listen to these celebrities?", she asked.

Then they invite Hank to give his analysis of the Republican presidential nominees. Where he launches what appears to be a drunken tirade.

YouTube the clips or the Daily Show skit.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Strange, word is Madonna is being hired to play the SuperBowl halftime show. The same Madonna, who while on tour a couple of years ago, compared John Mccain to Hitler thru images on her tour big screen.

Double standard, NFL.......hmmm?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The difference would be that ESPN chose to get rid of Williams, the NFL chooses who does the halftime, which is broadcast on NBC this year.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Its about time that someone shoved a sock into the mouth of celebreties who may sing or act but lack anything between the ears.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw a bit of the interview on youTube and in the minute or two that I watched his voice and demeanor appeared unusual. Was Williams intoxicated?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I'd say so. Which is amazing considering it was about 6:00 in the morning when it was recorded. He seemed like he felt bad about what he said. Hitler was just a poor choice of comparison.

The look of disbelief on the faces of the anchors said it all. You know, its one thing to say politicians have better things to do then golf. But to compare any politician to Hitler, just stupid.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Barry Sanders is ready for some football !

Goodbye Hank ... hello Barry (at least for this Monday's game intro)!

Barry Sanders will narrate a preview package before Monday night’s Lions-Bears game, replacing country singer Hank Williams, Jr. and his “Are You Ready for Some Football?” opening.

http://www.businessinsider.com/barry-sanders-monday-night-football-2011-10

After ESPN parted ways with Hank Williams Jr. this week, everyone is wondering what will replace his "Are you ready for some football?" song as the opening for MNF.

It looks like Barry Sanders will do the honors, but not in the form of a country song. Instead, MNF will open up with a video preview of the game, and Sanders will be featured.

ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz told the Detroit Free Press:
"This is the format we'll likely use the remainder of the season. We haven't made any decisions beyond that."
------------------------------------

A wish come true:

In the Sept 8th, 2011, National Post article written by Scott Stinson, one section of the article dealt with the "Five Things We Don't Want To See." One of those things concerned Hank Williams Jr.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/09/08/high-fives-and-low-fives-for-the-nfl/

FIVE THINGS WE DON’T WANT TO SEE

Free time for Peyton Manning:
Yes, the Manning-Tom Brady debate is tiresome, but no one wants to see Manning go out this way. Plus, you have to assume the league’s quarterback savant is driving Ms. Manning crazy around the house, sketching out plays with his vegetables and whatnot.

Rick Perry in the private box of Jerry Jones:
Sports is one of the few partisan-free zones, but if the Cowboys owner invites the Texas governor and would-be Republican presidential candidate into his suite for some free TV face time, the Internet might just explode in outrage.

Hank Williams Jr. :
It’ll never happen, but isn’t it perhaps time that Williams’ "Are you Ready?" opener is retired from Monday Nights? It’s been 20 years. He has rowdy friends, and they are coming over. We get it. Please stop.

The same theme song on Sunday nights:
Yet another opener that confirms (1) what day it is and (2) a football game is about to played. So helpful. Alas, Faith Hill has confirmed she is reprising the song for the fifth year in a row, saying “I wait all year for Sunday night.” That doesn’t even make sense.

The return of Brett Favre:
He seems well and truly retired, but he seemed well and truly retired before, too. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But to compare any politician to Hitler, just stupid.
Not just any politician but the president. While many Americans hate Obama, they still respect the Office of the President.

Actually looking forward to a new opening. I thought they should have retired it when MNF went to ESPN from ABC.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
He's a blowhard and toes the line of the racism-inspired segment of the tea baggers.

However I do believe his assertion that the Hitler-Netanyahu reference was highlighting the idea of polar opposite enemies spending time pal'ing around doing elitist recreation. That's the most obvious interpretation, so I don't believe he was trying to call Obama a Hitler. I'm sure he hates Obama for other invalid reasons, but that isn't really the direct point.

Didn't know how to interpret his first apology... it was one of those passive ones that's not really an apology e.g. "Sorry you got offended." But at the same time he did concede his comment was 'dumb'. So for me it was a toss-up of what to think.

Now I see he's claiming that ESPN letting him go is a violation of the right to free speech... sheesh.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I've been following this a little, I have to agree with Neild. It is fairly obvious if you listen to what he really said, he was basically pointing out the absurdity of the two playing golf together.

What makes me wonder the most though, is why anyone really cares what this guy says or thinks? Having listened to him try and get himself out of this mess, it's fairly obvious he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. When I'm looking for political commentary and insight, HWJ. is going to be one of the last people I look to. The people we should be running out of town for all this, is the folks at Fox and Friends for asking this idiot for his opinions in the first place.

Asking Hank Williams Jr. to give us the low down on the upcoming presidential race is like asking Hitler how he thinks Jesse Owen was going to do in the 36 Berlin Olympics.;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts