Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there is not much discussion here about this but existing customers who are on the old bell mobility tier where you renew your agreement and get a new handset and keep the same monthly price plan are going to run into a bit of a situation here. Everyone is now forced onto the NEW Bell Mobility pricing where the phone plans are all one standard price which is the BYOD price, and you finance the handset over 24 months and add it to the cost of your monthly plan. Under the old pricing structure, I am able to get a plan for my self, with sufficient data which is shareable, and get a nice "mid range" handset every 2 years without impacting my price plan. My wife was able to get a plan wihch has calling only, no data, and share my pool of data. This was good for us because we both work hard long jobs so we are almost always at work and do not need to use much data, and when we do use it, we most certainly use it when we are at home with the kids.

I looked around and can not fault just Bell Mobility alone for the new pricing structure, since Everyone is doing it, and all their prices are nearly identical, so its everyone who has done it, and it kinda sucks cus if im not happy with Bell Mobility, everyone is like "well just leave and go to another company" the problem is, all other companies have the same pricing structure so it does not really pay to shop around any more

now myself AND my wife have to both get plans with voice AND Data, theres no way for me to get the data and her not to and share mine so it adds up the cost, plus 10 gigs is now the min so if i want less, tough luck, so basically they can get away with saying they are giving me MORE value for my money but I want the SAME LESS value I was getting,for hte same lower price but they all said NO so im now stuck, no body in their right mind unless you are a spoiled rotten bratty kid who has no sense of financial literacy would want to pay $45 dollars more per month to renew their plan and get a mid range nothing especial handset that we need, plus no body has a grand lying around to buy a phone outright, we are NOT rich, we are middle class citizens but we dont have that kind of money to blow on phones

·
Registered
462 Posts
My wife has been on a $40 4GB plan with Virgin Mobile for a couple of years now (their BYOD plans now are at $50 for 5GB data with unlimited Canada-wide calling).

When she decides to get a new phone (which is rare for her), we just buy one outright (mine is handled by my employer). The Motorolas are very good mid range phones, snappy, and come with a decent price point.

We're by no means rich either and I agree with you that spending over $1000 on a phone is ludicrous. BUT - that's a personal decision for the people buying them. I won't fault others on their decisions.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The above post says it all. Easy solution., If you don't use much data etc. almost any cheap BYOD device will work. Unlocked Samsung excellent phone for 248 save 150+ at best buy for example just by searching unlocked phone best buy. Try any retailer.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That unlocked samsung exelent phone for 248 may be excellent for someone like you but its a step downwards for someone like me its like going from a mid range down to a beginner phone. Does this make sense? Not really. Does the providers care if ur bill goes up? Simple answer no they dont. Its a scam but because lots of people are addicted to phones we are trapped under their rules.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
I find the best deals for phones are from independent phone stores, some of which sell through Best Buy. Amazon and eBay occasionally have some deals from Canadian stores. A lot more caution is required with those sites due to the number of overseas phones that may not work well in Canada. Some money can be saved with Latin American phones which often work with most Canadian networks just fine. Wait until the new versions are released or Black Friday and they can get a lot cheaper.

I would never subscribe to the big brand name phone services unless there is no choice. They charge too much money. They all have cheaper alternative brands and are also resold by other companies at a hefty discount. The company and plan is very dependent on individual needs. WhistleOut might help.

The bottom line is to shop around for a discounted phone and a discounted BYOD phone plan. Buying a phone at full retail and an expensive plan from the big phone companies is a waste of money.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
...never mind. Don't want to insult a "heavy' user with my comments. :)
I consider my Moto G7 4GB + 64GB plus microsd + 6.2-inch LCD (2270 x 1080) for $300 a fairly high end phone and my public mobile service unlimited pretty good!

·
Registered
462 Posts
...never mind. Don't want to insult a "heavy' user with my comments. :)
I consider my Moto G7 4GB + 64GB plus microsd + 6.2-inch LCD (2270 x 1080) for $300 a fairly high end phone and my public mobile service unlimited pretty good!
My wife is running a Moto G7 Play - it's snappy as hell. Paid $250 direct from Motorola. The only thing NOT making this a "high end" phone is that there is no NFC. Otherwise, even for the above average user I would pit this against ANYTHING you can get from any provider.

Are the big three also the most expensive for plans? Absolutely. There is very little "loyalty" protection anymore. "I don't want to pay that - lower my price or I'm leaving. Sorry, we can't do anything for you". The somewhat good news is that if you don't like what you're paying or don't like what their plans are, you are free to switch. Even if you stay with the parent company and move to a flanker (ie - Bell's is too pricy - move to Virgin, their plans are a LOT cheaper).

Probably close to 90% (if not higher) of the people with cell phones don't really care what phone they have. It's the "free upgrade" model or the one they see advertised most. "Oh, I want the Samsung Galaxy S20 because it's a great phone!!!" (then proceed to only text and post to Facebook).

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No NFC? then no thanks. I use NFC like very often especially with my RBC Wallet and Presto Card App, so not having it is a big blow

I get it I am NOT insulted by your comments about phones. I often bought a phone outright back in the day before phones were "smart" and saved a ton of money, yes. But I don't think you guys understand what I am saying here so let me try and explain. I have a price plan which is really good, I will not go into details here but Lets say I am saving a ton of money and having moderate usage. I also renewed for 2 year agreement, paid ZERO DOLLARS, yes paid nothing out of my pocket. AND received 2 phones worth approx $700 each for myself and my wife, that is 1400 worth of phones. and my monthly rate was the same unchanged. NOW I have to PAY an extra $45 a month x24 months which is an extra $1080 out of my pocket for 2 phones or buy 2 phones outright for $1200 and keep my monthly plan the same. where did the extra $1080 or $1200 come from? it wasn't there 2 years ago, I might even be fine with even buying a $200-400 dollar phone outright well it would have to be two, i need one for my wife but another con is getting those phones serviced if you have issues. Good luck trying to get your international phone serviced here in Canada under warranty. but my real question is where did the extra $1080 or $1200 come from? it was not there 2 years ago its called GREED.. Even to get 2 new phones elsewhere like best buy or online the extra $400 x2 = 800 is not an easy pill to swallow for some.

Most of the people you hear on these forums are electronics enthusiasts you hear from, you don't often hear from the real world scenario of a hard working family man with 2 kids who him and is wife are NOT rich and do NOT have high paying salaries, but we live comfortably in the middle class. Sometimes that $800 - $1200 that I can use to buy a phone has to be used elsewhere like to fix my car, or to do a important repair around the house or to pay for Day Care (once the Covid pandemic is over) or even towards one of our Bills we had to defer cus of financial struggles this time of the year. Yes Cell phones are important to have, no it does not have to be top of the line S205G capable phone, but a decent mid range phone is important it helps because i use it for online banking, for shopping purchases, to keep in touch with families, for transit aka the presto app, so you want something that helps with every day life so that is why a entry level phone wont always cut it.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
I see getting new, free high end phones every two years as an issue. It inflates phone plan prices for everyone. It's nice for the people who get the free phones. They can also sell the two year old phones for a good price or avoid buying a new phone for family members. The only issue is that everyone else is subsidizing those people's free phones. It sucks for the people no longer getting free phones every two years but maybe it's time to think about keeping phones for 3 or 4 years and switching to a cheaper carrier.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
the people who were getting the free phones were already paying an inflated plan Price, that is why BYOD plans existed and some were a good $20-$25 cheaper. you wanted a phone subsidized you went with the regular plan, if u wanted to buy your own phone you went with the BYOD plan and lowered you rmonthly fee, why? cus you arent getting a handset subsidy. it honestly worked and it made sense, but i guess they weren't making as many record profits from it as they hoped so they changed it and now are sucking MORE money from us and claiming they are giving us MORE value by these unlimited plans. I am even fine with non free phone as long as its affordable

while im normally for keeping a phone for a good 4-5 years, back in the older days this made sense and phones would last a good 4-5 years or more of good use out of them, todays modern phones become obsolete so fast with internal batteries that can not be replaced by the user, and software updates which stop after 2 years, also repairs of an older phone can sometimes cost as much as the phone like cracked screens or physical damage, the industry pretty much wants everyone to hop on board to get a new phone every so often they actually design phones to be obsolete and disposable, not just that its all electronics are following suit.

found an older phone for a bargin? well it might be a cheap priced phone but it will have older software on it with no security patches which cant be upgraded to todays standards and you are limited to what apps and tools you can use and as i said before, its already obsolete

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I've been retired for 20 years, living on savings, so not exactly high end couple. My Moto G7 is not a "power" or a "play" but a G7 and not "international" but North America, so should be easily serviced. I tried a G7 with dual sim but realized it was "international" and not serviced and not the right bands so returned it. One does have to shop carefully! :)
Perhaps 2 years ago was the "bait" and now we are in the "switch" mode. They may just be patient! ;)
We love those "free"phones, zero interest car loans, no down payment home purchases, etc, but being in the business it was pretty apparent who was paying for it. But yes if you shop carefully it may be a real saving compared to the not so careful shopper or the supposed deal last month.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So to answer my question, where does this extra $1200 come from? my pockets unfortunately. So a normal customer is going to NEED a new phone every couple years because they break, they wear out, they become defective, they have young kids who pick up the phones and throw them around, crack the screens, drop it in water,, we all accepted that phones are wear and tear items they are not made to last and we very much NEED to replace them every so often.

The carrier sells phones and as I said before, Im NOT all about the Zero Dollar phones, I would even pay a small amount for them, but to add an extra $1200 on my bill over 2 years, is insane.and thats just the mid level one, imagine if i got the top of the line, that would mean an extra $4000 over 2 years which im quoting for 2 people husbnad and wife. I am glad they came out with this device financing but they did it in such a way that they PURPOSELY removed the lower priced less expensive price plans and forcing everyone to spend a minimum $75/mo this definitely increases their APRU. If you can not see that the carriers are all in this together to suck money out of you even if you dont buy the phone from them look at their price plans my friend, they removed lower Price tiers. So even new customers getting screwed

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I cancelled the handset upgrade that was suppose to happen, I'm keeping my existing phone and price plan. My wife is also keeping her existing phone and price plan. Her phone is a bit broken so we will have to take some time out of our day and go to the Samsung Repair Centre, leave it there for a day or so and have it repaired, and pay what ever it costs, it could be $100, or more or we can go to a Flea market (once they are allowed to open) and repair it for cheaper and take a risk because they could use aftermarket parts but this is a risk everyone takes.

I will hold off for now and use my phone and when a new offer comes I will do my homework again and see if its worth it. but for now I can say BYE BYE to the extra $1200 over 24 months

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
Part of the problem is that phone prices are increasing at ridiculous rates. A top of the line phone was US$600 retail a few years ago and now they are 2 or 3 times that. Just check out Samsung's folding phone or their new 5G phones. The falling Canadian dollar hasn't helped either.

I recall going to Best Buy or Future Shop and getting a free phone with 3 month's service included. It wasn't quite free because I had to pay $50 and got a $50 gift card. Then I used the gift card towards a second phone which made that one truly free. Then that gift card went toward something else. They made great gifts but weren't the smartphones we have today though. At the end of the free 3 months service I downgraded to a cheap PAYGO plan.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
, and software updates which stop after 2 years, also repairs of an older phone can sometimes cost as much as the phone like cracked screens or physical damage,
Samsung provides updates for their smartphones for at least 3 years. Google and Apple for longer. Buy too cheap a device and support will be short or missing. Screens and batteries can be replaced by third parties for reasonable rates. Apple phones have had issues with non-OEM parts though. I wouldn't buy an Apple phone under most circumstances.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bell taught to to save hundreds of dollars.

In 2012 I was with Mobilicity with unlimited Canada/US calling, unlimited 3G data (at 3mbps or so) for $40/mo.
When LTE came out Bell offered 6GB LTE, Canada-wide calling (with Fav 10) a Samsung Galaxy S3 for $60/mo.

So I reasoned that $20/mo covered the phone and $40/mo was the same cost for the plan which gave me LTE and 6GB was more than I needed.

After no complaints for 3 years the contract ended but Bell still wanted the full price when the phone was paid off. If I wanted a new phone I had to get a new higher priced plan. And to top it off they wanted $50 to unlock my S3.

Lesson learned.

Coincidentally Staples had an unlocked $700 Moto Z Play on sale for $370. and Public Mobile had 4GB LTE data, province-wide calling for $40/mo. So I ported.

The rest of the story involves Koodo, Walmart, a better plan for same price a $300 gift card, a $100 credit and a free LG Q6.

Thanks Bell - oh yes - I unlocked the S3 online for $10. It still works.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had some delays trying to get a return waybill but once I got it, I sent them back asap. A lot of family and relatives said to me, have you tried shopping around to other phone companies to get this phone? to answer that YES I did look at other companies, and guess what? the monthly rate and handset financing is exactly the same with 3 different providers I shopped around with, what does this tell you? before it used to be okay to shop around now it means nothing. Secondly, I am not going to be "THAT" guy who changes phone carriers because he WANTS a phone so bad. I learned that having a GREAT price plan is more important than a must have handset

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
17671. When you say you are looking at different carriers, are you looking at just Bell, Telus and Rogers? What about Public Mobile, Freedom or Fido which are all subsidiaries of large carriers. You can get an 8GB/Unlimited Talk plan from Public for $50/month, Freedom offers 10GB/Unlimited for $50. Yes, these are BYOD plans and you would need to purchase your phones up front but the monthly savings of $25+/month is $600 savings over a span of a 24 month period. I have an iPhone SE that is nearly 4 years old. Had the battery replaced about 8 months ago and it still works quite well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts