Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 55" Haier LED HDTV that I have owned for probably 5 years now. Warranty is obviously expired by now.

Occasionally when I power it on it will have a section of the screen that is rather dark. Previously it had been the upper left corner, and this went away gradually over time. Recently, it has been the right quarter of the screen. Sometimes it goes away on it's own after a short period of time, yet the other day it was still dark throughout most of the day. Now...some days it's fine (normal).

Is this a common thing that happens over time with these TVs? I assume there is no feasible fix, as the cost to get a tech out to diagnose and repair would likely cost more than a new TV.

·
Registered
9,315 Posts
I had this happen with an LCD monitor a few years ago. It had a calibration option (or something to that effect) that appeared to be simply displaying a bright white screen for several hours. Maybe the TV could be hooked up to a device that displays a bright white screen to fix the issue. I don't think it's a common issue but pixels in LCD screens can fail or get stuck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE - I asked around and I don't think this is a calibration issue.

Here is what I suspect might be the problem, other than Haier not being a quality set. Are they even on the market anymore? Could it be possible that this is a result of handling the screen, like when moving the set? As you can see by the pic, the right half is dark, and there is a "normal" thin strip on the very rh side. This is a pic of the TV with whatever inputs shut off. It's not this bad when viewing, as it's the RH side that is darker.

Anyone come across anything like this before? Pardon the flash on my phone's camera!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I edited the title of the thread to reflect exactly what it says on the back of my set

·
Super Moderator
56,682 Posts
The thin strip on the right and left side may be due to your flash reflecting off the cabinet? You can turn off the flash. With an all-black or all-white screen up, try adjusting the contrast and brightness (white level, black level) to see if you can get the sides leveled out a bit. Black Level (brightness) is probably more important...

With black level (brightness) on a black screen, you turn it up to make it not black, then turn it down until it doesn't get any blacker... There's a point where this happens.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thin strip on the right and left side may be due to your flash reflecting off the cabinet? You can turn off the flash. With an all-black or all-white screen up, try adjusting the contrast and brightness (white level, black level) to see if you can get the sides leveled out a bit.
That lighter strip on the right is always there, but not so much as in the pic. I'll try taking a better pic, maybe when there is a show on the TV, and post it, without the flash.

You can see just under the TV on the right the bottom of my Cogeco modem. It's the only place it fits. The stand is the old stand from my old projection HDTV I had. If I ever have to (and I do more often than I should) reboot or unplug/plug back in my Cogeco modem, I have to move my TV to get at it. Black board up top is to prevent my cat from trying to jump over it.

I was wondering if maybe in attempt to move TV to get at modem and moving it back, if handling (inadvertently putting pressure/squeezing) the TV could have caused this, or maybe it's something else.

I think this pic is showing an exaggeration of how bad it is. When watching something it's not that crazy, but still quite dark on the rh side.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had that with my toshiba tv like 5 yrs ago,was under warranty they sent me a new one .It never went away for me .

·
Registered
9,315 Posts
It looks like the backlights on the right side may have stopped working. Don't know what the bright blob is about, damaged panel? In any event, LCD panels cannot be serviced as they are a sealed unit. Replacing the TV is probably the best option.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like the backlights on the right side may have stopped working. Don't know what the bright blob is about, damaged panel? In any event, LCD panels cannot be serviced as they are a sealed unit. Replacing the TV is probably the best option.
That's what I figured. It's just such an odd thing to come up.

I've been shopping around, might wait until the 2021 models come out, as in my other post. I can't afford to go crazy high end, but I am leary of going too cheap with RCA or Westinghouse.

·
Registered
9,315 Posts
I wouldn't purchase anything bearing the RCA or Westinghouse brand. They both ceased to exist as separate companies in the 1980s as did many other US brands. Since then, they are simply brand names licensed to other companies. Many of the consumer items are cheap generic products relabeled to take advantage of brand name recognition.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts