Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

"Hacking" shaw boxes

46K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  doogie 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've grown tired of the absolutely terrible software on Shaw's tuner boxes and am looking for some way to replace/bypass it.

I'm not looking to not pay them for services but rather am looking for some way to access their digital (not analog! - there are a lot of tuner cards I could just use) content using some kind of hardware/API package that would let me write, use, and potentially sell software (guide, etc.) that gives you an experience more suitable to 2011 rather than 1989.

Is there anyone out there that is aware of some kind of package like this?

Thanks,

Doug

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Thanks, tux. I'll look for some more info on that.

57, I had searched when I first came to the forum. I'm a long time software developer so I had looked around for a bit ("hacking" "shaw" and the shaw forum topics) as we constantly have to do it when looking for software solutions, code snippets, etc. I initially didn't remember the name CableCard so hadn't searched on it.

Anyways, I may have to compose a letter to the CRTC and describe the problem as I see it. See if I get any reaction.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tip, tux.

It led me to this thread, a discussion of Bisonnette's comments and info about the upcoming hardware release in May of an Arris made box that looks really promising and interesting, even containing modern software.

It looks like the system is based on a kind of local client/server model where the cable co connects to the "server" box in your home and then there are small local "client" boxes that connect to your different TVs.

This would give you the capability to easily play, pause, move and restart your watching somewhere else in the house.

It lets you easily tie into local storage (e.g. a NAS) too so that you can access stored video (DRM-free probably required) and audio through your client boxes (allowing one to watch movies or listen to video through their a/v setups). I'll have to look a little deeper.

If there is a wireless component to this, then there is the possibility of ipad/iphone/other apps that could also tie into the server for TV watching, movie watching, or listening to any bit of one's entire audio collection on their portable device.

It probably would also (bell has this and the Arris box probably has this capability) allow remote programming (from your portable computing device [i.e. phone]) while you're out.

Maybe I'm guessing a little too much but I'm excited. Welcome to the 2000's Shaw!

Sounds like Telus' Optik TV advances was the kick in the ... that Shaw needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.