Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I doubt it. The Playbook is kind of like a test run for QNX (like the iPod Touch was for the iPhone), and RIM has too much invested in QNX to discontinue the Playbook already.....
TC: maybe you're forgetting that the first iPod Touch came out over a year after the first iPhone.

As for RIM, they may have some success with QNX in the BB and survive a couple more years on that but I don't see any long term success.

... 4 OS's for tablets is too much...
But it's really more than that as we're seeing the handset (i.e. phone) and tablet app markets merging. As in Universal IOS apps and similar functionality in ICS. So for somebody who really wants their apps on all devices, there's iOS, Android, QNX, Blackberry OS, and let's not forget Windows Phone 7. Even with WebOS gone, that's 5 platforms and maybe 6 depending on the version of Android.

From everyone's perspective that's a nightmare. So sadly we also need to see BB and QNX go and leave only iOS, Android ICS, and WP7/8.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
May end up with 2 version of Android for smartphones - depends if ICS will be made available for phones like the Galaxy S line or whether they will have to eternally remain at Gingerbread.

·
Registered
772 Posts
In case anyone is interested, these are now priced at $99 for the 16GB and $149 for the 32GB at most major Canadian retail stores (FS, BB, Staples, Source). I got mine price protected......

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Definitely just ordered one. Order online for ISPU tomorrow if you want one!
They're selling out fast, by the sounds of things.

Even if support is discontinued, it's good for basic browsing.
And it's probably inevitable that someone hacks linux or android onto it :)

Edit: just got notification my order will not be filled. Too slow :(
Only store in the list with availability is Peterborough, and I'm sure that'll go quickly, if not gone already, just a lag in system.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hp touchpads now $99 and $149 at futureshop and BB

Wow. Makes having a second tablet feasible.

16 gig - $99
32 gig -$149

How is the video store for Canadians? Can we download movies and tv shows?

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I wonder how long the eco-system for the touchpad will last. HP has pretty much already given a "screw you" sign to consumers.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
True. If they kill the app store fairly quickly I would feel buyer's remorse even at $99. It's tempting to go grab one now though since a future shop store is on my way home.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
They seem to already be all out of stock at all Calgary future shops. At least according to their web site. Shows Red Deer as the closest one with stock.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Yep, both my online ISPU were cancelled, too.

Though there are a lot out there, so if BB/FS refresh their stock at this price (maybe not, they could have just been clearing it out)

Or we may see them in places like xs cargo :p

For $100 it's a good media player/browsing device.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
My thoughts too.
$100 can be well spent on non-impulse purchases :p

Who knows. If FS/BB/HP's webstore restocks, I might still bite.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the info, BCScott, placed an order for one.

I would assume HP will automatically adjust the prices or provide refunds, With so many people ordering I can't see them waiting for the call centre to be flooded with calls to get the price adjusted.

21 - 40 of 320 Posts