121 - 140 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Called in yesterday. Got a very nice rep who was able to move the box from the closed account to mine. My gamble paid off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a Cisco 4642 Box from someone on Kijiji (unfortunately before reading this forum!!)
Got it home, called the Rogers number that came up on my screen and discovered it is in Roger's system as an unreturned rental on a closed account.
I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I got scammed.
Nonetheless, I have communicated with the seller a few times via texts and he says that he paid for it.
Assuming:
i) he is not a serial liar
ii) did pay for it (upon receiving a bill after he closed his account),
iii) didn't steal it
(I know, a lot of assumptions)

is there any way of getting this activated on my account. He says Rogers has made a mistake and he will call them correct the problems..
(i.e. can the "unreturned rental" designation associated with this STB's serial number ever be removed or does Rogers have a policy that once a rental always a rental?

·
Super Moderator
56,561 Posts
I always do my research before purchasing, but a weird thing happened the last time. I called Rogers before purchase with the Seller's name and Serial Number and they said it was clear. When I got it home, I called to activate it and the CSR said the box was in the rental pool, despite my earlier call to check - very weird situation (step 5 in post 1). I called the seller and he called Rogers to clear up the matter. Rogers then activated my STB no problem.

Nothing much you can do other than to ask the seller to help you with the situation by straightening out the matter with Rogers. If he has records of the purchase, then it should be straight-forward.

That's why I outline all the necessary steps in post 1 of this thread. If you cannot get it to work, perhaps the seller will take it back and refund you the $.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
The key is to ask Rogers to make sure they put a note in your file that they checked the SAB# of the box and it was clean... I once had the same situation, the rep said it was a rental, I said WTF look at the notes on the file and then suddenly he was able to get it working even though it was a "rental"...

·
Registered
26 Posts
It would seem that rogers system is having trouble keeping track of their boxes.. This is the second time that i have called in to release a purchased box and was told all was clear but ran into problem when my brother tried to activate it and required a second call. During the call I was told that my purchased netbox 3 didn't exist while I am looking at it working at the time. It then took 3 weeks to determine that a rental box linked to my account was never activate on mine or any other account. I had never had a rental box and was not been charged for one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cisco 9865HDPVR Nextbox UNLOCK??

Hello All,
I am new to the site and forum and am totally out of the loop on much of the terminology you use so please bare with me. I bought a used Cisco 9865HDPVR Nextbox from a local used goood store and I want to know if anyone can help me unlock or reset it or whatever it is that needs to be done to get it working. I am a cable subscriber but Rogers isn't about to help us because they won't be getting any revenue from it in doing so. They would prefer we buy or rent theirs obviously but this one is paid for and now we need help in getting it working. Hoping someone here can step us through it and has lots of patience for us technically inept....lol. Well..not totally usless just don't understand much of the terminology used in here. Thanks very much for any help and we are more than happy to donate if if we are succesful in getting our box working. Cheers.:D
Lost in Space

PS- I looked amongst the controls to see if we could start a new thread but did not see that option so searched our box and were dirrected to this thread so we hope we are in the right place and if not we apologize and perhaps someone can tell us where it i best to post for the best results.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi Icebrood. Do you mind me asking you how much you paid for you PVR?

PS: Toronto just got the new 105 firmware this morning (after getting 'quick updates' almost every day for the past 2 weeks.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I bought a used Cisco 9865HDPVR Nextbox from a local used goood store
PRVs have to be registered to your account. Without that, it won't work. One problem with buying used PRVs is the original owner might not have released it from their account. Only they can do that. Or it might be Rogers owned equipment that someone sold.

·
Super Moderator
56,561 Posts
I bought a used Cisco 9865HDPVR Nextbox from a local used goood store and I want to know if anyone can help me unlock or reset it or whatever it is that needs to be done to get it working.
Please see the procedures outlined in post 1 of this thread, to which your post was moved. As mentioned in the posts above, it could be stolen or a rental. In any event, you may have wasted your money. You'll need to call Rogers to activate it, and/or return it to the store if Rogers won't activate it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
how to test 4642HD without live cable connection?

Hi, I own a 4642HD STB which I want to sell because I'm no longer a Rogers customer. The box has not been powered on in a few weeks, and when I plug it in the display says boot, then --:-- then spinning dashes as though it's trying to update. My new house doesn't have a live Rogers cable line so I don't know how to test the box or get it out of this mode so I can be sure it's functional and can be sold and activated. Worst case I'll ask a friend who has Rogers to try the box in his house, but is there something I can do locally?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
56,561 Posts
No, the STB requires a valid cable connection to boot. Also, it'll probably be deactivated by now, so the display will likely show "----" if you boot it even on an active cable and you'd need to call Rogers to "hit" the unit to activate it, which may not be possible at a friend's place. I've moved your post to this existing thread on the topic of buying and selling. Check out post 1 of this thread and the links in post 2.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
If your friend has a Rogers cable tv account you can activate it on his account and see if it works. After that you can deactivate it from his account and sell the equipment. Unfortunately, there is not way to get the box to boot at all if it's not attached to an account.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Further to post 101 in this thread I picked up a lot of boxes a few weeks back and one of the units was a SA 3250. Rogers allowed me to activate the box onto my account without hassle and it works fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
next box 2.0 qustion

Hey everybody just got a next box 2.0 from my mother in law as she has no idea what it is and it was free for 6 moths with her package and I got it home and half of my channels don't show up just wondering if rogers will have to to add it to my account to make it work right or if it is just easier to get a new one from rogers.

·
Super Moderator
56,561 Posts
bernm3863: Your post was moved to this thread on the topic. You must follow all the items listed in post 1 when transferring/purchasing. Your mother-in-law needs to take it off her account and you need to add it to yours, but that may not be possible since she doesn't own the box and it probably should be returned to Rogers, otherwise you could both be in trouble with Rogers. Of course you could get one from Rogers.

Useful Post for those new to the forum: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Super Moderator
56,561 Posts
Post moved to existing thread on the topic. Per post 1, the answer is no.

Even if you could activate the hardware, Rogers' firmware would be downloaded to the device.

121 - 140 of 176 Posts