Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Guide For Subscribed Channels Only?

29K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  ae_collector 
#1 ·
Hey people, just got Optik installed today, and wow, very nice. I remember reading some where you can set the guide to only show the sub'd channels. Am I right or wrong.

#2 ·
There isn't an automatic way to do that, however you can customize your guide to only show the channels you watch.

Press Menu, Settings, Television, Customize Channel Guide

This is done on each STB and can be different for each one. For example, you can customize the kids' TV with only the channels they watch.

#3 ·
There is information to assist you in customising your guide, it's found in the Help section as well as the book you should have recieved at installation. To view the help section for Optik goto VOD/help/Optik. There are a number of sections to assist you in basic questions for Optik. The VOD help section will show you exactly how to do most things. The images of the screens you will use are current, so it's a very good format for new users to get help.

There is also information in the help section to assist customers with their ADSL and wi-fi questions.

All of the VOD Help content is free.

- another TELUS tech

#4 ·
You can also set up a Favourites list with just the channels in your lineup. I do that as I'm a new subscriber, and I like to look at the guide occasionally to see if I'm missing out on something and possibly need to update my channel package.
Normally I just use the favourites list to look at what's on and schedule recordings.

#5 ·
old TTV

It was only with the old Minerva network TTV that you could select only the channels you were subscribed to.
The bad part about the mediaroom one is that if there is a free preview channel you might not know it if you only look at your favorites list, as opposed to the old setup which auto added the preview to the subscribed list.

Maybe there is a way, but I haven`t figured it out.

#6 ·
Use the `Customise Your Guide` feature. When new channels are added they still show up so you won`t miss them. The info on how to do this is in the manual and the VOD help. You can also take off all the music channels and radio stations and just leave MusicRoom (260) or take off 260 too and access MusicRoom through the menu, this makes the guide a lot less arduous to go around. Favorites is intended to be where you group your favourite channels so you don`t have to scroll through 200+ channels to find something to watch.

The BEST way to get rid of channels you aren`t subscribed to, or don`t want to watch (like the French channels or other non entertainment channels) is the customise your guide feature.

- another TELUS tech

#14 ·
I have everything in an Excel sheet that I can sort by channels that I am subscribed to. This makes it relatively easy to delete the others via the Customize Your Guide feature. This would also make it easy do drop out the SD versions of HD channels.

A way to broadcast the guide to the other boxes after you customize the first box would be a nice feature since there is no easy way to block out unsubscribed channels at this time.

#15 ·
As much as I missed the Subscribed Channels filter at first, I now like the Customize your Guide feature better as you can unselect all the crap as well. With the Only sho Subscribed channels guide I'd still have tons of channels I don't want to see, IE French or Radio Stations etc. Heck I'd prefer an Only HD guide.

#16 ·
Absolutely correct. There are positive things about the way Telus does it. The ability to broadcast the customized guide from one box to the others would make it much nicer. Still, starting by blocking the unsubscribed and then further blocking with favorites or by setting parental filters allows you to goon the remaining crap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.