Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am currently with Rogers internet, tv and home phone bundle. My discount is up next month and Rogers does not do anything for me, so I have placed a cancel order for next month. Now I have a month to find an alternative. Googled and found GTA Telecom which has internet, tv (basic bundle) and voip. It seems to meet my needs. Are there any member here knows about this company and their quality of service? Any other providers you can recommend?
TIA.

edit: found Carrytel which have even better pricing.

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
While I have no experience with either of those, bear in mind there's more to the service than just price. Some companies have developed a poor reputation for service, cancelling, etc..

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know. That is why I stayed with Rogers for 32 years. This time they do not give discount, and practically 45% increase for me.

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
That's unusual. I've been with them for over 28 years at my current address (actually with McLean Hunter for a brief period when I moved here) and a few more years elsewhere. I have never seen such an increase, unless I made a significant change. I'm currently paying $186.94/month + HST for Ignite Flex 10, which includes TV with a few extras, Crave, 500/20 Internet and home phone with unlimited Canada wide calling. I also have 3 TV boxes.

Some have said you can ask to speak to "retentions" to see if you can get a better deal.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the ignite bundle 500u, popular tv, homephone, for the past 2 years paying $110, now they want $160 with 1 tv box. I believe I was talking to retention. I am surprised they did not offer anything.

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
So, you got a better deal than I did. That may be because to moved to Ignite earlier than I did. However, there's another thread here, comparing Rogers and Bell and it appears Rogers may be better. However, you have to consider how the service is delivered. Many use ADSL, at whatever Bell will give them, which can cause issues. The nice thing about Rogers is cable is a much better medium for this than ADSL, even with fibre to the curb. However, both companies are now offering fibre to the home. Any other company is at the mercy of whatever Bell or Rogers provides them.

BTW, I used to see lot of ads from Comwave (AKA Conwave), but not for quite some time now. Are they still around?
They were apparently one that didn't quite deliver what was promised.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
It looks like Rogers is scaling back their discounts. It's probably a result of the CRTC's reversal on wholesale rates last year. TSI and Start are as expensive as Rogers now so Rogers does not need to provide retention deals to keep internet customers. The only way to save a significant amount of money is to get a much slower internet plan than those Rogers offers. Their prices on TV are not much better than Rogers either and there are other factors with them like having to buy the modem/router and no bundle discounts. Our Internet and TV with Rogers went up significantly last time around but there aren't enough savings to switch providers at this time.

Don't have a clue how good GTA Telecom and Carrytel are but Carrytel's prices seem too good to be true. The TV packages with both are quite basic as well with no mention of PVR and limited lineups.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the explanation. I will talk to them again, and scale down my service, ie, slower speed, and just basic tv channels (we only watch news channel, and everything else is on smart tv), and see how much I can save.

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
In that case I would cut out the TV service entirely and watch the news on a local OTA station using an indoor antenna. The GTA area has lots of available TV stations. There are apps for major news providers as well.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
CBC NN available using Gem, Global has 24 hour news on their app and CNN has app and many US news stations have free apps.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, but some of these apps ask to sign into your isp. I also tried to sideload cp24, but never succeeded in watching live.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Just an update. Rogers did offer me a $35 discount on my existing Popular tv bundle. But I want to reduce further. So I have signed up for 150U and Flex 5 and home phone, with a $20 discount. I think 150U is sufficient for the 2 of us, and flex5 offers better flexibility. This is still a 15% increase for me. GTA Telecom offers 300U and more channels for tv for $20 lower. I will still consider that. Thanks to all for your help and opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts