Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all... I'm a bit of a noob who could use some help.

I have a Sammy HLP6163, an old PS2 , GT4 and Monster component cables.

Trying to play the game in 1080i... when I select the 1080i option... the screen goes black for 15 seconds and then reverts back to normal mode. The resolution looks the same as it did when I had my S-Video hooked up instead.

I must be doing something wrong as I 've read in other forums that other Sammy owners are at least seeing the game in 1080i (although they seem to have centering problems).

Is it possible that my old PS2 is the problem or am I just 'tarded?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
if your ps2 is a first generation like mine, it doesn't do the high def stuff. the later versions of the ps2 do progressive and high def. you might have to bite the bullet and get a newer ps2 to play the high def games with your tv.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just have to clear things up. The progressive scan option you are talking about is for movies. I have a PS2 from launch and it can display progressive scan games. Should not have any trouble with displaying the 1080i image.

I have a launch PS2, GT4 and Sony brand component cables. Everything works as it should. Make sure you have the component cable option set properly in the PS2 options. i.e. start the PS2 without a DVD or game in it and go into the set up options.

later,
mk

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
eclipz said:
I just have to clear things up. The progressive scan option you are talking about is for movies. I have a PS2 from launch and it can display progressive scan games. Should not have any trouble with displaying the 1080i image.
i was wondering if you have tried switching from the component setting to the regular setting and got any picture difference.

and M POWR, if this works for you and the picture quality is significantly better, drop me a line on this forum so i can go pick up some component cables. i didn't know that the p-scan feature was for movies only. sorry about that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
To see what resolution your Samsung DLP is displaying, just press the "info" button on your Samsung remote. It will bring up a menu showing the current resolution ie: "1920x1080i" or "1280x720" etc...

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
just played GT4 in 1080i using a component cable. It didn't look even close to anything the xbox has in 720p... Even most 480p xbox games look better. The PS2 just doesn't have the processing power to do 1080i

·
Registered
104 Posts
eimaj said:
if your ps2 is a first generation like mine, it doesn't do the high def stuff. the later versions of the ps2 do progressive and high def. you might have to bite the bullet and get a newer ps2 to play the high def games with your tv.
That's not true.
I have a ps2 from day one - and I can play 1080i.
Are you using component cables for your ps2? (Five plugs, not three)

·
Registered
213 Posts
dave374 said:
That's not true.
I have a ps2 from day one - and I can play 1080i.
^he's right, I have a gen1 PS2, it won't do 480p, but 1080i is a SIGNIFICANT improvement over the standard cables, or S-Video.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
dave374 said:
no not yet. my ps2 is starting to crap out (taking a long time to load or "disc read error" popping up. often it takes multiples resets to get a game going) so i'm thinking of waiting till ps3 comes out before i put anymore money into this one.

and what do you mean by the five plugs? i thought component was just the red, green and blue, and the other two were for audio?

·
Registered
104 Posts
eimaj said:
and what do you mean by the five plugs? i thought component was just the red, green and blue, and the other two were for audio?
That's what I meant - sorry for the confusion.
Red, green, blue plugs for picture.
Red and white plugs for sound.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
try best buy, eb games or maybe even wal-mart. if not, you could order one in or online.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was in A&B Sound today armed with my Slim V12 ps2, Sony component cables, and Gran Turismo 4. I tried Toshiba DLP, Sony Rear LCD, Hitachi Rear LCD, and JVC HD-ILA (???), all were 48"-52"... and on all TV's I ran GT4 at 1080i, 480p, with the ps2 set to 16:9 & full modes (all of these configurations took quite a while to go through, heh), I tried everything I could think of... but the picture still looked like crap imho. Really noticable aliasing, not crisp at all.

In fact, between "normal" and "1080i", you could barely notice a difference.

On these same TV's, and HD signal coming in at 1080i was very clear, but the signal coming from the PS2 on 1080i looked like crap on these tvs. And when a movie dvd (lotr: rotk) was ran off the ps2, it all looked like crap compared to a normal dvd player as well.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I've read all these posts about people saying GT4 in 1080i looked amazing, and in my experience it didn't. Tried in every permutation & combination of ps2 settings, in-game settings, and tv settings.

Anyone have an idea what is going on?

And when I tried a normal ps2 game through the components, everything was a bit blurry and pixelled at best.

Any help in this thread?? PLEASE?!?!?!???? :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
ghettoiam said:
I was in A&B Sound today armed with my Slim V12 ps2, Sony component cables, and Gran Turismo 4. I tried Toshiba DLP, Sony Rear LCD, Hitachi Rear LCD, and JVC HD-ILA (???), all were 48"-52"... and on all TV's I ran GT4 at 1080i, 480p, with the ps2 set to 16:9 & full modes (all of these configurations took quite a while to go through, heh), I tried everything I could think of... but the picture still looked like crap imho. Really noticable aliasing, not crisp at all.

In fact, between "normal" and "1080i", you could barely notice a difference.

On these same TV's, and HD signal coming in at 1080i was very clear, but the signal coming from the PS2 on 1080i looked like crap on these tvs. And when a movie dvd (lotr: rotk) was ran off the ps2, it all looked like crap compared to a normal dvd player as well.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I've read all these posts about people saying GT4 in 1080i looked amazing, and in my experience it didn't. Tried in every permutation & combination of ps2 settings, in-game settings, and tv settings.

Anyone have an idea what is going on?

And when I tried a normal ps2 game through the components, everything was a bit blurry and pixelled at best.

Any help in this thread?? PLEASE?!?!?!???? :)
Yea I'm not seeing the amazingness of 1080i in GT4 either. I bought the component cables specifically for this game, I probably should've saved my money, because I don't see much difference between 480i and 1080i on my 47" Panny CRT RPTV. I guess I had high hopes, I played Tony Hawk Pro Skater in 720p on my old 30" Toshiba CRT and it looked a lot better than this. Good game though, but I doubt I'll ever buy another Sony system, considering this is the only game i've played on my PS2 over the 2 years i've had it. Chalk one up to xbox and my Nintendo DS :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
ol post but my thoughts:
got a GT3 release PS2 and the sony component kit
- PS2 setup sets the 16:9 mode and component option , but nuttin bout 480p, 720p nor 1080i
- in GT4 under graphics options I can select 16:9 as well as 720p or 1080i and when I select either one screen will blank for a second and show some slightly distorted screen with confirmation window which I confirm and it will revert back to the previous screen.
- turns out the navigation screens will remain 480i but when in gaming or replay mode I will see a lot more details and my HDTV will show 1080i mode!!!!!
- dunno what you are talking bout but it has sooo much more detail it's not even funny!!!!!
- have an Xbox as well, loving it and still trying to find a game or way to test the 720p or 1080i mode on the xbox since the experience with GT4 1080i mode!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts