Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please note. This thread is designed for some very feedback and is not for "discussion". Use this thread to discuss the information presented here.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Background

Recently, I was on the phone with Sirius satellite radio. I had purchased a Sirius Streamer GTR (Replay) in Canada but it was not from an "authorized" Canadian dealer. An authorized dealer is simply a store that has paid the company additional money to be able to sell the product in Canada. Being authorized has no legal authority; it simply is a designation that is used by marketers to convince consumers they should spend more.

The only issue with my Grey market unit, which is NOT available in any authorized stores and is much cheaper than comparable product from authorized stores, is that I can't get Sirius Channels 185 - 189. The inability to get these channels was not important to me so I chose to save money and get a better product while giving up a few Canadian stations.

Recently, when I was on holidays up north, I thought that I would like to received the Canadian weather channel which is 185. Since I had some time on my hands during a rainstorm, I thought I would undertake a little investigation and find out if there had been any updates that would allow my unit to now receive these channels. (as discussed in other threads, the official explanation is that the Chipset in U.S. units are an older chipset than Canadian units and ONLY Canadian units are capable of receiving channels #185 to #189. This explanation never made sense to me so I thought I'd ask first hand)

I called the Sirius Canada toll free number and told them that I had bought and activated a unit online and couldn't get channel #185. The CSR informed me that the Sirius Streamer GTR (Replay) I had purchased was a grey market unit and that it would NOT receive these Canadian stations. I asked why. The CSR told me that it was because it was NOT a Canadian receiver and didn't have the latest chipset. I replied that I had bought it in Canada. The CSR told me that although I had bought it in Canada, it was not from an authorized dealer.

Inquiring further, I asked why Sirius would sell me a lifetime subscription if they knew my receiver was grey market product. The CSR confirmed what that Sirius Canada will authorize grey market product but would not make all Canadian channels available to grey market products.

I suggested that the Sirius website never makes mention of the fact that it will authorize Grey market product or what the consequences of doing so would be. I commented that it seemed wrong that Sirius would take a consumer's money and fail to inform me that the unit would not work "as per advertised" in Canada.

The CSR told me that when I activated online, there was no way that Sirius could have known that it was not an authorized recever, however, if I had of signed up over the phone, I would have been told that it was a grey market receiver. I have no idea how they would have known over the phone versus online activation. The CSR said that even if they knew it was grey market, they would still sell the consumer a subscription.

Intrigued I probed a bit further and inquired whether a refund would be given to any unsuspecting buyers who might be disappointed at learning this information "after they had subscribed"

I was told that under no condition would a refund would be issued.

Grey Market is Okay for Satellite Radio

To date, I was well aware that Sirius and XM would authorize Grey Market product, but perhaps naively, I believed the company was doing so because some Canadian customers may have unknowingly bought receivers in the U.S. and not realized that only Canadian "authorized" units could receive all Canadian channels.

After my phone call, it's clear that although Sirius and their counterpart don't like the "grey market" when it works against them, they don't have a problem engaging in grey market authorization with it benefits them.

By not warning consumers on their website about the pitfalls of grey market receivers or notifying consumers of the "missing stations" when signing up, I believe the company is trying to have it both ways.

Therefore, I think if Sirius Canada is knowingly benefiting from Grey Market receivers and failing to inform consumers when they unwittingly sign up with them, then in my opinion they have accepted that Grey Market satellite is okay.

Result

Until Sirius and its counterpart XM, stop grey market activity on their systems by refusing service to U.S. satellite receivers, I believe its fair to say that they are profitting from the Grey market and legitimizing it therefore why shouldn't consumers also benefit from it?

Therefore until further notice, grey market satellite radio discussions are allowed on the Digital Forums.

Please note that Grey Market satellite television discussions are NOT allowed so don't use this thread as justification!

Purpose of this thread

A quick review shows that a Lifetime package with Sirius U.S is $499 while a Canadian Sirius membership is $549 (plus taxes where applicable). This suggests that Canadians buying grey market product would receive considerably more station in the U.S. than the 95 available here in Canada.

I am also aware that some grey market units from the U.S. will get all the Canadian channels.

The purpose of this thread is three-fold.

1. Comprise a list of U.S. Grey Market receivers that Sirius Canada has activated and what stations are available when activated here.
  2. Detail how consumers can sign up for Sirius U.S. with a Canadian unit.
  3. Detail how consumers can sign up for Sirius U.S. with a Grey Market (i.e./ U.S. unit)
Please feel free to present the above information although any discussion should be on the thread listed at the beginning of this post!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The S50 is not available for sale in Canada from authorized vendors.

I activated my S50, that I bought in Canada, with Sirius Canada.

Upon activation, I received all of the Sirius US channels. I did not receive the Sirius Canada lineup.

On June 19, 2006, Sirius Canada updated all receivers. I consequently lost the Sirius US lineup and received the Sirius Canada lineup (minus channels 185-189).

·
Registered
940 Posts
Sportster 4

The new Sportster 4 is the first radio that Americans can purchase and receive all the 11 Canadian channels. I assume that if a Canadian purchases this radio in the grey market and activates it with Sirius Canada, you will receive the full 11 Canadian channels plus the usual US based channels which Sirius Canada offers. Is there a Canadian out there who has purchased a Sportster 4 and activated it with Sirius Canada?

The Sportster 4 is not available in Canada from authorized dealers, so any S4 is a grey market radio.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My add on tuner the 902 for my kenwood deck only goes as far as 184 bought off ebay ... and I am paying the can. sub and i have all the us chans including 101. I cant get Playboy as I dont go up to 198 :(

·
Registered
940 Posts
phone?

Kevin007 said:
My add on tuner the 902 for my kenwood deck only goes as far as 184 bought off ebay ... and I am paying the can. sub and i have all the us chans including 101. I cant get Playboy as I dont go up to 198 :(
Did you call Sirius Canada to have it added? You do not get it automatically.

·
Registered
13 Posts
HUGH SAID:
The CSR told me that when I activated online, there was no way that Sirius could have known that it was not an authorized recever, however, if I had of signed up over the phone, I would have been told that it was a grey market receiver. I have no idea how they would have known over the phone versus online activation. The CSR said that even if they knew it was grey market, they would still sell the consumer a subscription.

I can tell you that Sirius was not being truthful here. As a relatively early Sirius adopter, I chose to purchase a receiver in the U.S because at that time NO current models were being sold at "authorized" dealers in Canada, only the older Gen1 units.

Not only did I subscribe with Sirius Canada on the phone, but I even purchased my receiver from Sirius.com (are they really going to try to tell me that they are not an "authorized" dealer) using my Canadian billing address. At NO time did anyone ever mention that there was even such a thing as "grey market" units, let alone tell me that I had one and that it wouldn't be able to receive all of the channels. I feel particularly insulted because I felt that I was doing "the right thing" by subscribing to Sirius Canada, rather than the U.S. version. As well, it was there marketing decisions, not mine, that kept the modern hardware out of Canada at that time.

I also purchased a lifetime subscription as well as the home AND car kits, AND a boombox for my radio; a significant investment for a partially disabled radio. It would have been nice if Sirius had devoted even a small space on their website warning of the fact that radios do exist that cannot receive all of the channels.

All of this being said, I would probably be satisfied if they would just allow us to activate replacement radios without penalty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Sportser 4 purchased a few months ago at Future shop which I believe is authorized though they do sell some gray market electronics. Authorized on line and it receives all Canadian channels including 185 and above . Am I missing the point of this discussion or is this on topic? Also it is Sirius Canada that I subscribed with.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to close this thread because some of the information is outdated and it really wasn't meant to be a discussion thread rather it was meant to be an announcement!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.