Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5900 PVR that my buddy gave me. I been using on my boat for about a year and it has worked great. I have a smaller RV dish that I use.

The other day I got a small amount of pixallation, then lost the signal. I went to the check switch, ran it and was getting great signal on the even transponders but nothing on the odd. Ran it again and lost signal on all transponders. Now when I'm searching for the signal instead of the screen saying EV91, it says Default Satellite. I can't seem to lock on anymore. Used to be a snap.

Also, I got a full checkerboard green screen a couple of times with a line across the screen moving from top to bottom.

All of my recorded shows are there and work. The cable is good. I replaced it just to see. Skies are clear, no rain, no snow.

Is it possible the LBNF on the dish has packed it in?

I'm stumped!!:confused:

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Well if you replaced the cable, it does not leave much more to check. The LNBF would be my next try. If you have a volt meter, see if there is 13v/18v coming out on the coaxial connector "SAT IN" at the back of the receiver.

Or if you can borrow a working receiver, you could try that to help prove what has failed.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Humidity or Dish Alignment

I would suggest trying to reboot the receiver, with the receiver on, first by holding the power button down for a few seconds until the unit starts to reboot.

If that makes no change, then next would be make the receiver reboot by pulling the smart-card out which will take the receiver to the receiver information menu and wait for it to populate 1 thru 8. The reason I suggest this being on a boat I would think humidity may be a issue and it will ensure good contact with the chip in the card. Do you get a green status under the satellites you get? Then replace the card and it will reboot.

When it reboots, go to menu, and press 6, 1, 1 for signal strength. Are you receiving any signal and what is the strength. (note) You mentioned you have a small RV Dish, I assume mounted on a dock and it maybe subject to being blocked or bumped. If signal is less than 50%, the meter will drop off to 0% even though you may be receiving 45% and you dish would require realignment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts