Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By any chance does anyone know of either a company or private individual that will build and sell a DBGH for outdoor use in the USA? I do not have the right tools or experience to build one of these or any kind of TV antenna for that matter. I'll gladly pay for materials, labor and shipping to my home.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Billiam, if you're going the purchasing route, I highly recommend just going with one of the recommended commercial brands. It will likely be the far cheaper route and you'll end up with an antenna best suited to your needs which proven reception results. See Stampeder's Antenna Chart below, find which fits your requirements best, then search the forums here for others' results with that antenna.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=97121

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems to me there will be a market for these antennas. People are going to be cutting cable and satellite services to save a buck and will rely upon local signals for their viewing entertainment. I've done that and I know several other people that have or will be doing this.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Many people (myself included) have looked into the economics of producing GH antennas and were not able to make a strong business case. Perhaps it would work for someone.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Seems to me, for most people, the difficult part of building the antenna is the support frame(s) for the elements. ie. the plastic parts. Sourcing them, fastening them, drilling them etc etc. into a proper GH frame.

Wondering if it might be possible to find a plastics manufacturer to supply, build / mold / some standardized bits and pieces of good strong, UV resistant plastic ... For self GH construction.

... idea ...

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
The double stacked 1483 claims 11dB and claims up to 60mile range, usually manufacturers claims are overstated. I think a DYI would do better than the manufactured antenna. I may be worth building/or having someone build one to DH specs rather than buying these antennas. Does anyone have any first hand reception results from a 1483?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Those Antennacraft G1483 and Super G1483 antennas are NOT Gray-Hoverman antennas!

They are earlier, less capable antennas based on the original Hoverman patents, which have expired.

The GH antenna diagrams are copyrighted, and the designs have been released under the GPLv3 license.

Only antennas made according to the GH diagrams and designs can be called Gray-Hovermans, GHs, SBGHs, or DBGHs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
True.

I need a antenna that has high gain for CH.17. Based upon what I've read about the GH and commercial antennas probably the only chance I have at getting a gain that is comparable on a commercially produced antenna is to stack two. Perhaps stacking two 4221 HD's might work. I have a 91XG which works well but it does not have the best gain for the lower UHF channels. In essence, a commercial grade antenna is not the best choice for this application which entails obtaining a weak Ch. 17.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
The GH's look nice in NEC but in real life may not perform as well as the simulations. I too was looking to improve my lower UHF and built the SBGH curved mesh model. It didn't really outperform my 91XG. I also tried a CM4228HD and it was as good or better than my giant SBGH.

I would try stacking two 4221HDs.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Bear in mind peano that you are in an extreme deepest fringe area so not many antennas would be right for your situation... ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^Not sure anyone custom builds these anymore. I can't find a manufacturer at present that does. I doubt I have the right tools or the know how to build such a device either.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I don't know anyone either (except us crazy DYI'ers :) )

These yagis are popular with Ham Radio operators. There might be someone out there that does custom builds and can scale it for the UHF tv frequency. Maybe checking with your local HAM radio club will give you some leads.

Keep in mind this will be a single channel yagi and you'll need to use either an A/B switch or some sort of combiner to combine this antenna with you other regular tv antenna to get all the other channels.

Here is a thread devoted to using and making these yagis-

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=96013

Unfortunately looks like the photos and images have disappeared in this thread.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
GH - Comercial Production Runs -or- Heathkits

Idea: Find a commercial antenna manufacturer. Work together with them to develop "manufacturable" antennas based on the GH designs - for manufacture - for a limited production run.

Digital Home (together with any willing DH members) purchase the entire production run - available for sale to members or others "at cost".

(We leave a limited number of antennas with the manufacturer as samples, for their testing and evaluation - and as demonstrator models - not for sale. In return, the manufacturer will test these antennas and publish all test results for public viewing - to show the performance and capabilities of these designs)

Digital Home - ie. designers and developers of these GH designs - remain in complete control of the production and distribution of these antennas - at cost - not for profit.

When there is more demand for the manufactured antennas, Digital Home authorizes another production run.

But Digital Home remains in control of distribution and sale "at cost".

Alternately...

Digital Home and members find a plastics manufacturer to build standardized plastics frames (plastic designs and molds are developed) so that these antennas can be easily assembled from standard, and widely available metal elements.

Do a production run of those plastic frames and support components. Purchase the entire production run.

The person building the antenna sources their own metal "elements".

With these plastic frames, assemble a bunch of antennas - and/or make available the plastics in a "KIT" so others can assemble their own antennas. All "at cost".

(GH "Heath kits" with plastic support frames and pieces and instructions. The assembler sources and bends their own metal for the elements).

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
GH - Comercial Production Runs -or- Heathkits

I would be happy with a set of plans and list of low cost mail order sources for materials and parts. There is a very nice set of plans and parts list here. Unfortunately, the parts list does not "scale" well for Canadians since many of the parts are either unavailable or cost significantly more here. (I also think that the design could be simplified a bit to use fewer fittings and reduce cost but that is a minor quibble. It's still a whole lot better than some other plans I've seen.) Cost and sourcing is a big issue since prices for some items can vary by as much as 50% within Canada can be close to double or triple prices in the US.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I also think that the design could be simplified a bit to use fewer fittings and reduce cost but that is a minor quibble.
Yep, using slanted stub holders, you can eliminate 4 tees on the above plans. (thats about $1 - $1.20 savings around here)
For Canadians, aluminum rod seems to be cheaper and easier to get than thicker gauge solid copper wire, so use that instead. The connection fittings with aluminum should then be aluminum or zinc plated to minimize galvanic corrosion.

The Antenna Craft G1483 (not to be confused with the old Radio Shack Hoverman type model) suffers from using only 4 pairs of colinear reflector pairs, so its performance is almost like a GH4. By strapping on a 30" X 40" split screen mesh reflector on it, its performance can be brought up to almost the level of the GH6. Considering its $21 plus shipping price, this isnt a bad alternative for someone who doesnt want to do much building.
One benefit to the G1483 is that its lighter than what any of us can build (for outdoors).

1 - 20 of 63 Posts