Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got home and fist thing I did was boot up my comp and had NO INTERNET.

So, I rebooted the modem thingy and internet came back on.

Haven't had to do this in many months...so I knew "something" was up.

Anyways, no big deal, until I turned on my TV/PVR.

Getting pixelation and sound dropouts on every channel happening about every 10-30 seconds (some channels more often than others).

Called up tech support and spent about 40 minutes on the phone answering questions...guy was having all kinds of issues with the computer in front of him...had to restate my info about 6 times...

Nonetheless, he says he sees no issues on his end and said he would forward the issue to NETWORK SUPPORT and gave me a case number. He said that they will look into the issue within 48 hours and I should call back Monday if the issue isn't resolved.

Hours later, still having the issue...and it is pretty bad.

Went to page 5 of the software thing and seeing all kinds of errors in the categories:

Uncor Blks / Corr Bytes (think that is what they are)...

S/N: is 35-38 dB...fluctuating often and the and the LEVEL: is anywhere from 5 dbmV to 10dbmV.

Also getting stuff coming up in the Errs Avg/Inst: category...usually like 12-24/whatever.

Anything else I can do? I tried rebooting my box and also disconnecting/tightening cables.

I am in a building and have had issues in the past with many techs in...then they cleared up and today are back bigtime!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Did you do a hard reboot on your PVR? It worked for your modem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I said, I tried rebooting and reconnecting all cables.

Even tried a direct cable from the wall to my box.

Do not have the same problems in the bedroom where there is no cable box.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Power interruptions, especially brief ones, can sometimes leave digital equipment in an unstable state. Rebooting or cycling the power (unplugging for a minute) usually fixes that. Using a UPS can eliminate or reduce these types of issues and can also help prevent equipment damage due to power fluctuations.

Another possible cause can be line problems due to heavy rains or freeze/thaw cycles at this time of year. That can usually be determined by checking signal strength and S/N ratio on the modem and receivers. Call Rogers fix these types of problems.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys,

As I said, all my data is above, etc...

I called Rogers and they said they will forward the issue to the NETWORK SUPPORT division to check on it...but they said not to expect anything for 48 hours and also said to call back on Monday if the issues persist...

Is this acceptable?

Problem is only digital - not analog as direct connection to TV produces no issues, just connection to box.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Sounds like line or line equipment problems are affecting the higher frequencies used for digital TV.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Like Scary Bob said, it actually sounds like a line problem (coming into your building).

If you hear back from the network techs, try to find out if there are any similar complaints from others in your building.

The Rogers techs can diagnose this remotely as Scary Bob said by checking signal strength and S/N ratio on the modem and receivers. If these are outside of their normal parameters, the techs can then isolate where the problem is and determine where to look to fix the problem.

I had similar problems in the past with digital channels pixelating (or not even coming up on screen) despite no issues with the analog channels.

After confirming the signal strength, the techs were able to see that there was a problem at the fibre node near our building and then fixed it.

Have patience. It will get fixed.

M

1 - 8 of 8 Posts