Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont see it posted here, but another good voip option is Google Voice. It's free all thru 2011. All you need is a Gmail account and you download the app into the browser. It works great, and voice quality is superb. There is a way to get your own phone number but I haven't tried that yet. It's definitely worth trying out. Works over a 3G Connection too. Nothing beats FREE.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Google Voice is not available in your country.

Thanks for visiting Google Voice. We're not yet open for users outside the US, but are planning to expand our service to additional countries in the future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I thought I read 'google voice', i'll give it another look and see if I don't see 'google chat' there instead; ah yes, there it is clear as day.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been using Google Voice for months now and I'm in Canada, but just for outgoing calls only. Maybe getting a DID is not possible here yet thru Google.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've also been using google voice, for about a year now in Canada. But since I uprgraded to the latest firefox version 4, I get an error about downloading the plug in. I've gone through the steps at least ten times but I always get the same message that the plug is not installed:confused:. It still works on my wife's pc so I'm still good to go, saving a few bucks:).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Those of you interested in Google Voice might also be interested in knowing that Asterisk 1.8 now has the capability of interacting with GV directly. For over a month now, I have been using GV from a Plain Old Telephone connected to my PAP2T which has been programmed to go through an Asterisk server I cobbled together on a Seagate Dockstar. The PAP2T and Asterisk server combined takes maybe 10W to run. This setup has thus far worked flawlessly. Essentially, I'm using GV for 100% of my outbound calls. My main problem is that some people don't recognize my GV number yet.

Here's a pointer to some information on how to get started:

http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,1647,4063#msg-4063

FWIW, I knew absolutely nothing about Asterisk when I decided to give it a try, but had Asterisk compiled and I got GV up and running on it in the course of one evening.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Has anyone successfully got their own number in Google voice or google call in Canada and are they the same thing?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am now using GV+IPKall+SipSorcery to make calls to Canada and US for free. The GV number is a US one and you can get it by setting a US proxy. I also have a Canadian DID at voip.ms forwarded to SipSorcery SIP URI so that I can receive calls to it as well as to the GV number at the ATA. By editing dial plan in SipSorcery, my calls will be routed to voip.ms or GV automatically depending on the number I dialed. SipSorcery is now providing free account again.

·
Registered
153 Posts
QUOTE:I've also been using google voice, for about a year now in Canada. But since I uprgraded to the latest firefox version 4, I get an error about downloading the plug in. I've gone through the steps at least ten times but I always get the same message that the plug is not installed. It still works on my wife's pc so I'm still good to go, saving a few bucks.

I found a workaround and have been using google voice again for the past few months although at times it does drop calls, mostly at the start of the call:(.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts