Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Various media outlets are reporting an invitation to a Logitech/GoogleTV media event next Wednesday in New York. That's a week ahead of the Sony launch event.

I just wonder:

1. If it will support Netflix?
  2. If it will be available in Canada?
If it's yes to both of those, they can swipe my credit card right now.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sounds like the Logitech Revue launch that initial leaks had pegged for 9/29

If this box is anything like their Squeezebox (audio) devices (of which I have 6), I'll be dumping my WDTV Live's in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, like Hulu, AppleTV, Netflix and others, I expect the functionality to be crippled in Canada as the distribution rights owners squabble over the spoils :(

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The latest screenshots show Netflix so that's a pretty good indicator that it will be included. The big question is still whether it will be US only or will we get it up here (although less content just like apple).

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New website launched today:

http://www.google.com/tv/

Looks really cool and the blog does confirm Netflix so it looks like that's granted. But there's also a lot of reports that the initial launch will be US only so we're SOL up here once again!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
USD $299 for the Logitech Revue and not available in Canada. At 3 times the price point than Apple and added complexities of additional components and lots of apps - I think they've missed the mark.

They say Apple is a design company and Google is an Engineering company and even though this is officially a Logitech product and not a Google product, I think that's pretty accurate. There's something to be said about Apple's simplicity and how they can get people used to the concept and technology with a very simple device with limited options and over time expand it (after all it's iOS).

Too bad - I was hoping to buy one of these. Given today's announcement, that doesn't look likely. Time for me to get an AppleTV I guess.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Got the email from Amazon last night; they've opened pre-ordering of the Logitech Revue, which includes a wireless keyboard for $299

I'm a big fan of products that provide freedom from walled-gardens and other constraints. I already have a suite of Squeezeboxes and a Nexus One, so this could be a synergistic addition.

Agree the price is a tad rich, but I'll watch the early reviews before pulling the trigger (already got burned on WD, and avoided it on PopBox).

·
Banned
434 Posts
i like how it integrates with the dish dvr (over hdmi not shitty ir). everything else is really just the same as an htpc. no multi-room makes it inferior to media center.

·
Registered
846 Posts
One thing that may justify the higher price is the Logitech remote that is built into the unit.

I do agree it has a lot of similarities to a HTPC with less function at the moment, but think with the Android Market it really could take off. If someone can port VLC to the iPad it wouldn't be to hard to add it here, XMBC or MyMovies could be easily ported too.

·
Registered
569 Posts
^but I'd like to see that keyboard (sold in isolation for $99) be an option, not forced upon users that might not need it.

The box can be controlled by an app on my Nexus One, plus I'd expect it integrates well with their Harmony remotes.

Heck, they could probably throw in an IR remote and still get the price down to $199 i.e. comparable to a Boxee Box, also available next month.

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
Sony announces Google TVs and Blu-ray player

Sony has launched their line of Google TV enabled sets and a Google TV Blu-ray player based on the Intel Atom system-on-a-chip design.

Common Specs:
• Google TV built-in
• Seamlessly search across your television & Internet for content
• Surf the web while watching TV using Dual View
• Upgradeable Google TV platform
• Download apps from Android Market (*coming in early 2011)
• Superior processing power with Intel Inside
• Easy-to-use RF QWERTY keypad remote with integrated optical mouse
• Link to select mobile phones (coming this fall)
• Built-in Wi-Fi

Sony Internet TV Blu-ray Disc Player NSZ-GT1
Available in October for about $399.99
• Blu-ray Disc playback capability
• One HDMI input, one HDMI output and four USB inputs

Sony Internet TV NSX-46GT1
Available in October for $1,399.99
• 46-inch Full HD 1080p display with Edge LED backlight
• Four HDMI inputs and four USB inputs

Sony Internet TV NSX-24GT1
Available in October for about $599.99
• 24-inch Full HD 1080p display with CCFL backlight
• Four HDMI inputs and four USB inputs

Sony Internet TV easily connects to select HD DVR devices from Dish Network to include previously recorded content in the search results and control DVR functionality from the set’s user interface.
They are currently on pre-sale at Sony Style and BestBuy.com. They will be available for purchase at Sony Style on October 16 and at Best Buy shortly after.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
In a way I'm glad this isn't launching yet in Canada. I really want one, but there's still a lot I'd like to see play out here. For example:

- How will cable/satellite/IPTV providers react?
- Will any new hardware partners jump on board?
- How will software updates work? Will they be a mess like Android on phones?
- What kind of media formats can it play back?
- What kind of content will be available in Canada?

I'd like to get it even though I use Windows Media Center right now. I'm hoping it will be able to search and play back the recorded TV files on my HTPC, but I don't know if it will support .wtv files.

I'm excited by the potential Android integration though. More so than Apple or Microsoft, Google strikes me as a company that loves synergy. If they can find a way to match the integration of it's services with one another and into Android I'd be more than willing to buy one.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I was curious and went digging on the Logitech web site about their Revue. I found a web page listing the set-top boxes that work with Revue. It does include the Motorola DCX3200, DCX3400 and DCT6412.

No mention of my DCT6416 but I assume that if a 6412 works a 6416 would work.

However the "more information" link explained the bad news. It said that certain of the supported Motorola boxes limit the number of downstream HDCP devices to 2 or fewer. That is some of the Motorola set-top boxes will not support an AVR receiver between the Revue and the TV. The suggested work around is to ask your cable company to replace your set-top box with one with a higher limit higher or have the Revue output its video directly to the TV with a HDMI cable and the sound from the Revue to the AV Receiver with a SPDIF optical cable. Not pretty.

I know there were problems with the early Shaw Motorola HDPVR models as they wouldn't work through a AV receiver unit with HDMI connections but, if my memory is correct, that may have been a similar problem that we could face if the Prevue ever comes to Canada.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Some networks blocking shows on Google TV

Here we go again, as the content owners squabble over the rights...

(CNET) -- Google TV has the network television industry's attention.
Certain television shows on the Web sites of broadcast networks CBS and ABC are currently being blocked when Google TV users try to access those sites.
The Wall Street Journal also reported that NBC confirmed it was blocking streams to Google TV users, although CNET was able to view shows on NBC.com using Google TV. (CBS.com is published by CBS Interactive, which also publishes CNET.)

The decision to block the programs only seems to affect full-length episodes available on the Web sites of those companies, and it began in earnest this week, according to a source familiar with the situation.

More at: http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/10/22/networks.blocking.google.tv.cnet/index.html?hpt=T2

The more I read, the more I'm thinking about taking a pass on acquiring the Revue or Sony equivalent.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Well we won't see Google TV here until some time next year anyway. By then I'm sure the situation will have settled with content providers, and I'm also a little skeptical that most of our Canadian networks are with it enough to even attempt to block Google TV.

The more I think about it, what really excites me about Google TV is it's open source nature. My initial fear was that it wouldn't really be compatible with my HTPC setup, and I continue to think it will have issues. But the beauty of it is, there will be amateur users out there working to fix it.

There are three primary functions of an HTPC with regard to TV. The first is playback of recorded TV, which is really easy as long as Google TV supports the recorded TV format your HTPC uses. As long as it can see files and can read the information tagged in them, it can search and playback your recorded TV.

The second is recording TV. This is a little trickier. It will require someone to open up the API for the HTPC software and set up remote recording. The hardest part will probably be setting up your Google TV to recognize a guide containing a mix of sources and tuners.

The third part is live TV playback. This can easily be accomplished with HDMI passthrough and IR blasters, even with extenders.

While it would be nice to see Google do all this for us, that seems unlikely, particularly the second function. However, I have faith in the open source community that they can do this, if they want to. Sadly, all of it seems much more likely on Sage or Myth than Media Center, which I use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was wondering if I bought Google TV in the USA now.......just to use whatever features are available in Canada......when it does become available will it just be a firmware update or would I be shooting myself in the foot........I can't wait to get my hands on one

1 - 20 of 36 Posts