Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say goodbye to the Picasa and Blogger names: Google intends to retire several non-Google name brands and rename them as Google products, Mashable has learned.

The move is part of a larger effort to unify its brand for the public launch of Google+, the search giant's social initiative.

Blogger and Picasa aren't going away, of course -- they're two of Google's most popular products. Instead, according to two sources familiar with the matter, Google intends to rename Picasa "Google Photos" and Blogger will become "Google Blogs."

·
Registered
826 Posts
99% of marketing is brand recognition. Picasa is clever and unique. Google Photos is boring.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Name Recognition and Descriptor!

Yes Google Photos does sound boring, it no longer tells you what it is capable of producing! It sounds like a place you go to look at photo's only!

To have added Google to the Picasa moniker would have been a smarter move, as in Google Picasa, as it would have only added to the recognition of both who don't already know about them.

So is Pablo Picasso's name going to change to Pablo Googlasso!:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
I liked the Picasa name, but I think it might be a little too subtle. The Picasa service will be tied deeply into Google+, and I think Google wants to be clear about what it is, and that it is owned by them and not a third-party.

I don't really care about Blogger; both names are simplistic and descriptive as it is. I understand Google wanting symmetry across their brand names though.

YouTube, I've heard, is indefinitely safe, though it could one day become Google YouTube.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts