Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, the title isn't a typo. :)

Had an irritating experience with my Samsung Galaxy S III yesterday.

The Samsung "Store" app had an update.

I thought, OK, no problem.

In the updating process, the Samsung "Store" app noticed I had a few apps from Google that were "Older" and automatically updated them, without any notifications to me. My first clue was Eset A/V scanning those folders AFTER the updating process and a popup from Google saying that it wanted to check those updated apps for malicious activity... Thought that's what Eset was for, but I digress....

Every app that got updated had it's icon vanish from the various home screens they were on, and I had to replace them from the Applications menu...

So... now I wonder, when will Google come along and re-install those apps that Samsung updated?

This nonsense is reaching a ridiculous level.

Cameron

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've never had the Samsung Store update apps installed from Google Play, it has only ever updated apps installed from the Samsung Store. Very weird.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Maps With Me and Runtastic, both I originally got from Google Play Store, both "Free" versions.

The Runtastic one I use a lot, and now the whole interface is different, most stuff now needs to be accessed via the menu, before I could just swipe it to access what I wanted.... Grrrrr....

Those are the ones I use frequently. There were a couple of others that I rarely used, and thus hadn't moved their icons to my multiple home screens.

Maybe I should have been a tad clearer, they weren't Google's own apps, but sourced from their store...

Cameron

·
Registered
991 Posts
Are you sure it was the Samsung Store that triggered the "update" of the apps?
Maybe you just connected to Wi-Fi and both PlayStore and Samsung Store were updating...

What happens when you uninstall the app (e.g. Runtastic) and install again from PlayStore?
Does the interface return to the old one?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Interestingly the one on the Samsung Apps store is newer than the Google Play. I disabled the Samsung App store so it cannot push anything, its a 'soft' way to get rid of apps on unrooted phones.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both apps are newer on the Samsung store.

After Samsung got through with the updates, neither app showed up as belonging to the the Google play store. The only updating going on was Samsung's Play store originally, then that triggered the updating. In the notification area, updates were shown as belonging to the Samsung store.

A sad change is going on in the Google store, and that is there seems to not be file sizes or version numbers being displayed lately for updates. Thus it is getting harder to tell just what the heck is really going on.

Great way to drive people away from Android...

Not smart...

Cameron

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This morning the Samsung store grabbed another one: Flipboard.

Here's whats really bizarre:

Google Store: Flipboard
Most recent - March 27 2014. 4.69MB v2.2.9

Samsung Apps: Flipboard
Most Recent - April 28 2014. 4.99MB v2.2.6

If I try to disable Samsung store, it throws up all kinds of warnings about deleting accounts on the phone, deleting content etc.

The nonsense continues.....

Not impressed....

Cameron

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I think its referring to deleting samsung accounts. .. not google accounts.

Sent front android
www.rcottawa.com

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yep, I disabled the Samsung store on my old S3 and never had any issues, in fact I even disabled Flipboard as I didn't want to use it.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Flipboard loop continues...

Update via Google Play...
Samsung comes along and updates it...
Google throws a tantrum and notifies of an update needed...

And around it goes...

Sent a support message to Flipbloard support explaining the situation earlier this morning.

It will be interesting the kind of response I get... The message did get received as the autoresponder returned a confirmation message....

This should be interesting....

Cameron

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Have you disabled the Samsung store? It's a pointless app and disabling will more than likely fix your issue. If I remember rightly Flipboard is a bloatware app in the S3 so it may well be defaulting to the Samsung store version, so disabling the Samsung store should theoretically solve your problem.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So far so good: Disabled both Flipboard and the Samsung Apps as well as Samsung In-App purchase app.

No negatives so far...

Has anyone disabled Google+?

If the comments in the Google Play Store are at all accurate, it appears that the latest update to Google+ backs up ALL pictures to the Google+ cloud (whatever you want to call it) even overriding all phone and app settings regarding data usage being turned off and set to wifi only.... And battery usage seems to take off too...

Any problems doing this?

I'm not updating Google+ until this is fixed, or disabling it if possible.

Comments welcome....

Cameron

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Its not Google+, its Google Photos and you can very easily set it to backup on wifi only or not at all, you can even tell it to only back up when charging. Personally I like it automatically uploading my photos to cloud storage.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:

Focusing on just the Samsung Store app, I tried to re-enable it so it could update the stuff It knew about and I can axe it when it's done...

Result: it crashed and locked up... So I disabled it and did a phone restart...

Everything returned to normal.... :)

Cameron

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Samsung Store strikes again

Today around 10:30am the Samsung store updated itself.
Then it did the old trick of scanning the phone and finding Shazam, it updated it to something called "Shazam for Samsung". 93 tags vaporized. Poof! Gone! Nada! Ziltch! Reading through the Google play store, seems I'm not alone in this mess.

I had the Google play store on manual update, and that's worked out very well, so Shazam with it's 93 tags were always there to review. I uninstalled Shazam for Samsung. It's history now.

The previous advice of disabling the Samsung App Store no longer works. It re-enables itself automatically, and updates itself automatically. I've given up trying to disable this "virus".

Next phone will NOT be a Samsung because of this store nonsense.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Yeah, it's dated, but otherwise, everything else works so well. Need a few new battery packs though. Those are lasting about 2 years before all the capacity is used up.

Cameron

1 - 16 of 16 Posts