Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Google claims 480M installed base, and today Apple claims 400M installed base.

Are we to believe that 1 in 8 humans on the face of the Earth have iOS or Android smartphones? It just sounds too massive to me...

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
Well, there are some who have two phones, which adds to the numbers.

Don't underestimate the smartphone penetration in India/China. There are a lot of people there and cellphones (and now smartphones) are huge there compared to North America.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Asia is very big on personal phones and has been for some time. The number of owners there easily outnumber NA. Then there is Europe and Australia and the rest of the world. Those markets often go against NA trends as well. The non-NA world is more likely to adopt cheaper, Asian developed technologies rather than the expensive, NA produced stuff purchased here.

I am surprised that Apple is standing up as well as it is against Android. History, and common sense, says that most people will purchase a cheaper product. iPhones make sense for rich kids and highly paid professionals but they are a small minority in most of the world.

Are we to believe that 1 in 8 humans on the face of the Earth have iOS or Android smartphones?
There are many more PCs in the world than that. Analysts (and myself) expect that the number of smart phones will rise rapidly as many people adopt them instead of standard cellphones. For the average person, a smartphone and tablet will take the place of a cellphone and PC. Who wants to lug around a laptop or be tied to a desk?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I suppose, but I do travel extensively around the world and it still seems high to me. For example I was in China this spring and feature phones still seem to vastly outnumber smartphones, even in in the most industrialised areas such as Hangzhou and PuDong.

At any rate, I'm not complaining...clearly we're at the dawn of the post-PC era with robust and fierce competition which means innovation and competition for all :D

·
Super Moderator
4,004 Posts
I would assume that the 480/400M numbers are actually just devices sold. If you have owned an iPod Touch, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S, iPad, and "new iPad", which seems like a reasonable upgrade schedule for the serious (but not insane) Apple user, you would then account for 6 iOS devices, while you're probably using 3 of those at most.

I've personally owned 5 Android devices now, though I only use two.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Many of those upgraded devices would be passed on to family, traded in or sold. (Why would someone use more than 1 or 2 smartphones?) A percentage would no longer be used due to obsolescence, failure or damage.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Regardless, think about the fact that Google pays Microsoft $5-$6 per activation on licensing deals. That's getting upwards of $7M per day! Microsoft is earning a heck of a lot more from Google activations than from Windows Phone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts