Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Good news.

I too have been using it since it launched in the US. I guess the only advantage we have now is that we're locked into the $7.99/month price.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
It looks like Google is taking on Apple in a big way. Unfortunately, I couldn't get Google Play Music to play anything. In typical fashion, Google either wants information or money to provide access to their services. The information they want is my entire music collection. Can't say I'm 100% comfortable adding that to the vast amount of information they already have. The other option is to sign up for 'All Access' without even being provided the cost or terms of the service. I feel like I'm being asked to put on a blindfold and be led into an unknown room by a stranger. If Google were more forthcoming I would be inclined to try it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
How did you miss the price? It says $9.99/month when you click All Access.

Also, you don't have to upload your music collection. That's only if you wanto stream it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm very happy that Google Play Music is finally available in Canada. I've been subscribing to Rdio for a while now but am giving Google's All-Access service a try for the 30-day free period. At the end of the month, I'll have to decide between Google and Rdio.

So far, Google has the edge in that it's cheaper than Rdio (if you get in during the $7.99/month window) and it integrates nicely with my existing music collection which Rdio doesn't do.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$7.99/month not $9.99 for me.........and yes you don't have to upload your music and if you don't sign up to All Access you can buy individual albums and tracks. The best part of Google Music is storing all you music in the cloud and being able to access it anywhere at any time. My iPod classic has been gathering dust since I got Google Music when it launched.

Streaming music on Play as I type.............Hall & Oats - The Singles, cheesy but awesome, figured I'd sign up to the 30 day free trial.

·
Registered
617 Posts
$7.99/month not $9.99 for me.........
I just noticed that my subsricption price has now changed from $7.99 (US) to $8.77 (Cdn) - which is equal to the current exchange rate.

Where are you guys seeing the $7.99/month intro offer? I only see the free month.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the confirmation email "You have signed up for a subscription to Google Play Music All Access. Your subscription includes 30 days for free. You will be automatically subscribed for $7.99/month unless you cancel by Jun 4, 2014"

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I don't know much about this service.

I download several songs via iTunes per month and stream various free internet music stations. (Many of them listed in iTunes streaming radio section).

What's Google Play Music's advantage here?

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
For 8 (or, if you sign up after the deadline, 10) dollars per month, you can stream as much music as you want. You can search for individual artists/albums/songs or listen to algorithm-crafted "radio" streams. You can also pin music for offline listening on mobile devices. The biggest advantage over iTunes is that it has wider platform support: Android, iOS, and web browsers.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I'm not seeing the value in this, at least for me. I sync my (DRM free) iTunes music to my BlackBerry with no problems and there are various streaming radio apps that I can use too.

The only advantage here seems to be customizable streaming playlists but if I like a song enough to want it in a playlist, I'm just going to pay the $1.xx that iTunes wants for it and I can listen to it indefinitely on whatever device I want.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
TorontoColin said:
For 8 (or, if you sign up after the deadline, 10) dollars per month, you can stream as much music as you want.
So, if I sign up before the deadline, I get the service for $7.99 forever? Or is the $7.99 just a intro price and soon even the early sign-ups pay $9.99 (as the CBC article seems to imply).

I see they have Sonos support, so this may be very compelling. Do you know how many concurrent streams they allow? That is, if I'm streaming music in my car, can someone at home be using it via Sonos?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can also upload all of your CD's/DRM free music, without paying the subscription, so that you can access them anywhere. Think of the streaming radio service as similar to Rdio & Spotify rather than say Songza or Pandora.

If you are on iOS its not going to add much, but for Android users its a good addition to the Play Store in Canada.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And you should be, I've been using Play Music since it came out and the cloud storage of my music is fantastic. I can listen to my tunes on the way to work via my phone and then switch to my desktop and continue exactly where I left off.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
I'm not seeing the value in this, at least for me. I sync my (DRM free) iTunes music to my BlackBerry with no problems and there are various streaming radio apps that I can use too.

The only advantage here seems to be customizable streaming playlists but if I like a song enough to want it in a playlist, I'm just going to pay the $1.xx that iTunes wants for it and I can listen to it indefinitely on whatever device I want.
I added 28 albums to my library today alone. I wouldn't have bought them because it would have cost more than I consider worthwhile. I also hate buying individual songs - I like to listen to albums as a whole work.

However, if you don't use an Android or iOS device, then the value is substantially lower. With this service, I can pull up almost any song I want at any moment. If it didn't work on my phone, I don't think I'd want it.

So, if I sign up before the deadline, I get the service for $7.99 forever? Or is the $7.99 just a intro price and soon even the early sign-ups pay $9.99 (as the CBC article seems to imply).
As I understand it, if you sign up before the deadline you get 30 days free and then it's 7.99 forever (or at least indefinitely).

I see they have Sonos support, so this may be very compelling. Do you know how many concurrent streams they allow? That is, if I'm streaming music in my car, can someone at home be using it via Sonos?
No guarantees, but I just tried playing on my phone and tablet simultaneously and it seemed to work just fine.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
How did you miss the price? It says $9.99/month when you click All Access.
That's just it. I didn't want to click on "Try All Access Now" to start a trial without knowing the terms first. Google already has my personal info and credit card number from previous Play Store purchases. Would I be signed up and locked into a term contract as soon as I click on the button? I didn't know and neither does anyone else from the info on that page.

For most of my listening, Rdio is a better deal. It's $4.99/mo for internet only listening (no portable devices.) I don't normally listen to portable devices so it's not a big deal. Unfortunately, Rdio seems to think that any device running Android is a portable device, even if it's a non-portable media player of wi-fi only tablet. I will check out Google Play Music to see how the music selection and user interface compare.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Questions:

1) With respect to streaming your local music, is it a case of Google matching what is in their library? For example, I might have five different bootlegs of the same song (all tagged appropriately), not released through record labels. How does Google Music handle that?

2) For those of you using Spotify, how does the UI compare to Spotify's client software. I also have an account at Rdio and it's functionality/UI is pretty poor compared to Spotify's. Is Google Play Music similar?

3) How are the music discovery features compared to other services?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I've been messing around with Google Play Music for a few hours, and it's actually really good. I think I'm going to be dropping my $9.99 Rdio subscription in favor of this Play Music service.

Edit: the Sonos integration is fantastic.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Can someone confirm if you can cache radio stations for offline playback? I'm a bit confused on whether (or how) this works

Sent using radio waves of some sort

1 - 20 of 83 Posts