Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Back in the day when the digital music revelation began, people who had iPhones bought their music on iTunes, android was still in its infancy so Blackberry was the competition. I remember having an iPod and an iTunes account, though I never purchased any music from apple. I had my own music collection which I ripped from my CDs onto itunes then loaded it into my iPod. This is how I got songs to play in my car. Few years later I got my first Android Phone, and then Android Tablet. I only started buying digital music on Google Play Store when all the news about Music Stores sales declining and some stores even closing.

·
Super Moderator
11,260 Posts
I remember a time when listening to GPM curated streaming "moods" it would go for hours between ads. Now it is one song - one ad. When I used to have friends over I would switch to my GPM Library so at least we didn't have to listen to the annoyingly repetitive ads.

Most of you folks probably already know this but GPM had and YTM has offline listening. I usually create playlists for running or road trips. I then download the playlist to my device. This assumes you have a gig or two for storage.

I have had my music collection for years. I started out on a Zune (sadly) then used iTunes to listen and manage my music before I even owned an iPhone. Then I moved it over to GPM.

I might be wrong but something similar happened with iTunes a few years back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I remember the days when I compiled my music library, selecting each track. I had to find out the names of many songs through long searches; there was no shazam yet. Sometimes I even downloaded movie clips, converted mkv to mp4, and then to mp3. Of course, there is no point in bothering so much now. It's more convenient to buy a Spotify subscription and have all the music of the world in your pocket. There are even Japanese artists in this service that I couldn't find anywhere. I like how our music industry and technology, in general, are developing. Everything is done for the convenience of a person.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I remember the only way to get a (cheap) copy of the song, was listening to the radio, getting ready to press record on the tape cassette player when something good came on. Lots of rewind and try again ...

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I remember those good 'ol days. Yes times have certainly changed. Google Play Music was a great service at the time it existed. I'll be honest I only used it to purchase songs and play back my purchased music because this pre-dated Spotify and YouTube Music and this is what we did before those services existed. I never used it for the streams or curated playlists though I can only imagine if this was something that you enjoyed then that is great!

Google Play Music served a purpose back in the day and now that times have changed and the industry has moved away from purchased music and moved towards needing an internet connection and streaming your favourite song over your headphones or thru your car headset. This is the new norm and we must now accept it.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts