Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
What kind of Device are you using? I am not sure if GPM (Google Play Music) is going to be shut down for good, or maybe striped down to a bare bones music player,
To my surprise, Google Play Music shut down completely today. Can't even play MP3s on my device!

So what is Google's default sound player in Android? I've got a BB Keyone ... and although BB OS had a great MP3 player, I don't think there's anything that came with the Keyone.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
To my surprise, Google Play Music shut down completely today. Can't even play MP3s on my device!

So what is Google's default sound player in Android? I've got a BB Keyone ... and although BB OS had a great MP3 player, I don't think there's anything that came with the Keyone.
Sorry I have been away/busy for the last few days, haven't really had a chance to play with my phone, but I noticed there was a Google Play Music update like a few days ago, perhaps this final update could have caused this, or maybe a server side push? who knows.

I was able to transfer my library over to YouTube music like a few months ago, but I also want to download a copy offline to a DVD disc so I can play it offline when i have parties and stuff by popping it into my DVD player and for archival purposes incase anything happens with my online cloud.

But as far as I know, what brand phone do you have? cus if I am not mistaken Most android phones have their OWN music file player that comes from the manufacturer AS WELL as the Google Play music app, for example, if you have a Samsung, you should have the Samsung Music player App, if you have LG, I believe it comes with its own app as well for media files. Not sure why a Android would only come with googles music player, what brand is it? perhaps you can download a standalone music player app from the OEM makers app store, or the google play app store, or a suitable third party app?

·
Super Moderator
18,861 Posts
Most android phones have their OWN music file player that comes from the manufacturer AS WELL as the Google Play music app, for example, if you have a Samsung, you should have the Samsung Music player App, if you have LG, I believe it comes with its own app as well for media files.
I got my LG phone a little over a year ago. It runs Android One, which is pure Google Android. It has the standard Android UI and Google apps - no bloatware from the manufacturer. It also gets the monthly security updates and new versions of Android in a timely manner since it doesn't have to wait for the manufacture to customize the UI.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Most android phones have their OWN music file player that comes from the manufacturer AS WELL as the Google Play music app, for example, if you have a Samsung, you should have the Samsung Music player App, if you have LG, I believe it comes with its own app as well for media files.
I'll have to check, but I believe my Pixel 2 came with a stand alone music player app, but I wasn't thrilled with it. It might have been my Nexus 5 though. As mentioned above, I have installed VLC.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I suggest everyone download "files by google" if it isn't installed already.

It came with my $98 Umidigi dual sim phone that I bought from Amazon over a year ago. It is stock android. I had to go into the "about" to find its real name.

Then I just installed it on my Z Play.

It has a built-in video and music player, access to sd card, downloads etc. A tool to cleanup storage space and a method to transfer files by creating a wifi hotspot between phones. One phone sends, the other receives to the same files app.

It plays midi files, mp3,m4a, wav etc.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Welp I finally did it, I uninstalled Google Play music, Thank goodness it was NOT one of those "system:" aps that you can't delete, only disable. So thankfully I completely uninstalled it. It came pre-loaded on my phone when I bought it, and I got my fair share of free music from it from the promotions and google survey credits but owning music has become obsolete, going to focus on streaming now and burn all my purchased/owned files from the google music store to DVD to keep indefinitely. might as well since I "own" the rights to listen to those

·
Super Moderator
18,861 Posts
@17671

How did you manage that? All I see is disable and delete updates, on both my Pixel 2 phone and Asus tablet.
Depends on the device. If the app was preloaded into ROM by the manufacturer, you can't uninstall it, since you can't reuse ROM. You can recover any space used by updates by deleting updates. Disabling the app will prevent it from showing up on the list of apps on your phone.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Tonite after the kids went to bed, I downloaded my Entire Google Play Music purchased music and burned it onto DVD for archival purposes. It was a little over 2.5 GB in size. Not bad eh? Fits just fine on a Blank DVD+R disc.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
your absolutely right, for really important stuff I like to make 2 or more copies on different mediums. for example my wedding video, its a DVD but its also stored digitally on hard drive

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yesterday was the VERY LAST DAY to download your purchased music from google play music or transfer it to YouTube Music. It actually pays off to be proactive instead of a procrastinator.
I did this months ago and I'm glad I did.

I often have discussions with work colleagues and friends and they tell me "why do u buy music when you can stream it on Spotify?" so this is when I tell them, "There was a time when Spotify DID NOT EXIST, How do u think people got their music before that time?" and then I hear the "Oh That's True" response.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
^^^^
I have some friends who think it's OK to download movies and TV shows. They don't seem to understand that if everyone did that, there wouldn't be anything for them to download, as no one would be paying to have it created. I don't and I don't have any music that I didn't acquire legitimately.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
What wrong with downloading stuff you've paid for? How was there even another option with Google Play being discontinued? (though I only used it for stuff I'd bought elsewhere).

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
^^^^
I wasn't referring to stuff I've paid for. I was speaking about those who download anything and everything, without paying for any of it.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts