Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case people do not know, Google Play music used to be the defacto way of listening to music early on in the Android era. Way back in the day, we actually used to purchase music on Google Play's Music Store, yes just like iPod and iPhone users used to purchase songs on the iTunes store too. A lot of us have libraries of purchased music from over the years, including the free songs/albums which used to exist for a limited time.

YouTube Music is now the replacement for Google Play music, there's a ton of nag screens to try YTM every time you open the regular YouTube app, so if u haven't heard of it yet, then I dunno what rock you been hiding under. Anyways to make a long story short, Google offers the ability to transfer your purchased music to YouTube, its been said you have a limited time to do such because once GPM (Google Play Music) is decommissioned you wont be able to, or at least they say that.

I transferred all my purchased libraries over like last month, and when I go into my YouTube Music account, I see them all. What I want to do now is download the actual MP3 files download them off the cloud and burn them to a DVD Data Disc for archival purposes encase anything happens to my account. Yes accounts get tampered with too.

So far I like YouTube Music, however I don't think I will be purchasing any songs. I don't even know if you can do that on that app, never bothered to try. Going forward I have been using a Spotify for my music Fix, and Google Podcasts to hear some very popular Conventional Radio Station Shows on the go or off line, and love it!

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So its official. Google has officially remove the ability to Purchase music from the Google Play app store. There has been a huge decline in people "owning" music, and the shift has been focused more on people paying a monthly subscription fee to "listen" to their favourite music, anytime they want, as long as they have a device connected to the internet, and as long as they are willing to incur data charges as well as roaming charges to listen to their favourite songs, even when they travel to another country, unless they downloaded it ahead of time and are playing it offline.

When I first joined Android, I bought a lot of music from the google play music store, but back then, there was no such thing as spotify, it was the only way to listen to your favourite songs. I have a best friend who would buy an apple iTunes gift card monthly and do the same thing on his apple iTunes account, every month he would buy like an album and a few misc songs. he now completely transitioned to streaming his favourite songs on Tidal and Apple Music. heck he even streams the songs he already bought/purchased from iTunes cus its too much of a hassle for him to play it and takes up too much memory on his phones hard drive / storage

Next on the docket, google will decommission the play music app. I have already transferred my purchased music over to youtube music, by the way, Even though I have a few hundred purchased songs from google play music, not one cent of money came out of my pocket to pay for that and I did not do anything illegal or circumvent anything to obtain that music unlawfully. Back in the day google had many giveaways and would literally give away an entire album for Free to entice people to use their service. They also had free song singles every now and then too. I found a lot of them all on my own by just stumbling on it so I only downloaded the free stuff that I actually wanted/listened to. The rest of my music I actually used my account balance to buy, but that also did not come out of my pocket. I would answer google rewards surveys often and get free money in my play account, and use that money to buy songs, sometimes i would see songs on sale for a really cheap price and it was something i enjoyed, why the heck not.

Anyways im going to eventually burn a DVD disc with all my purchased music and archive that somewhere in my house so i have a permanent copy, and yes i will listen to it once and a while from youtube musics cloud.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
I mostly stream as well. I find that it's great to listen to new music without having to spend $10+ for each new disk. To listen to the variety of new music I now listen to every month would cost hundreds of dollars. I wouldn't do that but it means that a lot of artists get played that would not have with the purchase model.

There are a few issues I have with streaming compared to owning. One is that there are a number of artists, albums and songs missing. That's slowly getting better but I keep noticing songs that are unplayable in playlists and other songs or artists that I played some time ago are now unavailable. Another is that not all services are available on all platforms. I appears that music services keep dropping support for older hardware in favour of new hardware. I have an internet radio that is slowly losing reliability and functionality due to weak or discontinued support for music streaming services. I can easily play the music I own by ripping it to disk and using a media server but that is very limiting now that a lot of music cannot be easily purchased.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes true not every artist nor song is available on streaming platforms, and some times they may get pulled. One other con for streaming platforms is DJ's. I am friends with several DJ's and they do not use streaming platforms, they must "Own" all of their music, and streaming platform you do not actually own it and can not play back the music file outside of the app it has been delivered to you with. My DJ friends own tons and tons of music, especially from back in the day on Vinal, and a lot of it on CD from the early 2000's, but as of lately its all Digital music files. Some of my DJ friends convert / rip their old CDs to digital files, and I have even helped out with the process.

Even though Google Play music store has shut down, I know some other legit sources still exist that DJ's still use to buy music digitally. so as long as there is a need for them, it will be made available

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
A lot of new music appears to be available for purchase on vinyl or CD. Even small, independent artists often do a run of vinyl for promotion purposes. The big loss for me is the back catalog. I noticed some time ago that it disappeared from Amazon. Don't know if the titles are available from other than second hand stores. I did a quick internet search for the stores that were on Amazon and nothing turned up. A lot of the prices were so low that I suspect the record companies had deleted them all for clearance.

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
FWIW, I own copies of all the music I listen too. Most of it came from CDs I ripped, though I have also bought some online. All I use Google Play Music for is as a player app. As long as I have something to play the MP3s on my phone & tablet, that's all I need.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I became a Teenager, I started buying Audio CD's and got my first Disc man. I have a nice collection of Audio CD's but not too extensive as I was never one to splurge, I grew up in a family that was not well off, we did not have money to splurge, but we did the best we could and when I started working is when I was able to buy the things I wanted including CD's and such. I have converted many of my CD's to digital MP3 format and have them archived somewhere, but by all means I have not had any interest in listening to my old music library at this time. maybe when I get older and have more free time I would definitely upload them to the cloud using YouTube music's upload feature.

I find that having a Personal Library or collection of music is nice, but very time consuming for someone like me to spend time to Rip, categorize, sort thru, and upload to the cloud, etc. Maybe if I was in my 20's I would have more free time to do these wonderful things, but as we get older, we want simplicity. A lot of people prefer simple things and would happily pay more for it, even if they didn't have the money which is another problem with society but i will not get into that discussion, lets save that for another rainy day.

All in All, I am glad Google finally decommissioned the Play music store they have NOT decommissioned the play music APP at this time, but im guessing some time in November or December of 2020 they will. They probably are giving people time to migrate their library of purchased music over to YouTube music, which is another app I already use but will never pay for its streaming services.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I keep getting the warning when opening it on my phone - but I've only used it to play content on my device - never to stream. Is the app itself going away?

Alternatively, I've never found a decent music playing app for my device that isn't ad-free (Google Play Music is annoying, as it has this bizarre tendency to just start playing what I was last listening to, with no warning).

Last app I liked was the default music player on the BB10 OS.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What kind of Device are you using? I am not sure if GPM (Google Play Music) is going to be shut down for good, or maybe striped down to a bare bones music player,

Most phones I have owned have come with a Pre-Loaded music player made by the handset manufacturer, in addition to the google Play music app. So my Samsung comes with Samsung Music, as well as GPM. My old LG came with an LG version of their music player app as well as GPM.

To be quite honest and frank with you, I have never ever used Samsungs or LGs music player, I have never put mp3 content that I personally own onto my phone to play back. I just never had the time to do such.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Android - I didn't know it was on iPhone! Good for listening to audio dramas. Annoying as heck though when it decides to jump back to the start of the track ... or start playing for no reason at all, when you haven't even opened the app.

·
Super Moderator
17,015 Posts
I've never found a decent music playing app for my device that isn't ad-free
  • Plays most codecs with no codec packs needed - MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3...
  • Runs on all platforms - Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix, iOS, Android ...
  • Completely Free - no spyware, no ads and no user tracking.
I don't use it for music, but it works very well for MP4 videos on my devices and on Windows.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
VLC works fine for music. The issue with a lot of audio and video apps is that they will only play music stored on the phone. That's fine if the phone has lots of storage space or can use a memory card. Other options that will also play from a server on a LAN are MediaMonky (free or paid versions) that can act as its own network media server. Another is Plex (free server, paid app.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Google keeps breaking things.
They blocked HD from my WDTV Live player because they couldn't show ads.
They changed the api for maps so my DOD dashcam player no longer showed the route.
They screwed up Google Earth so I have to use an older version.

So you look for a workaround.

For videos - firefox extension downloads them in seconds.
Found another player for gps route.
Earlier downloader let you choose to save as mp3 or or video. Google broke it.
New downloader saves mp4 but VLC plays it on PC and on Android phone. Or VLC will convert it to mp3. It plays as mp4 or as audio.

I disabled Google music and Google movies.

In FE file explorer it has its own player. Or I can choose VLC if I use Moto's file manager.

Or I can use VLC alone which will also connect to my home network over wifi to my shared folders for music and videos.

·
Registered
41 Posts
To be clear - I was referring to youtube in the above post.

I don't use the app - I use a browser.

There are 2 hour concerts or individual songs.

How about 2 straight hours of Pink Floyd? Or Dire Straits - or??

·
Super Moderator
17,015 Posts
VLC works fine for music. The issue with a lot of audio and video apps is that they will only play music stored on the phone.
VLC also supports streaming from a network server, although I've never used that feature.

·
Super Moderator
17,015 Posts
I just plugged a flash drive into my Bell Home Hub 3000 modem and VLC was able to play videos across the network to my Android phone.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
VLC also supports streaming from a network server
Now that you mention it I'm not surprised. It does a lot of things but sometimes needs a little work to find the right URL and port. I set up a desktop shortcut to launch VLC and stream video from my security camera. That should be possible for a lot of devices and software.

I used VLC to stream audio from an instance of MediaMonkey with the DNLA server enabled. It was a little obscure and the interface was a little crude but it certainly works. How To Stream Plex Media to VLC. The procedure should be similar for other UPnP/DLNA servers.

·
Super Moderator
17,015 Posts
VLC network access is very simple on Android - just press Browse and the local and network storage locations show up. I didn't have to configure any settings on the Home Hub 3000. I had never used it for media before. I just plugged in a flash backup with some videos, tapped on the Home Hub icon on my phone, and I had a list of files to play. I chose that instead of my Windows PC since I didn't have file sharing enabled. Some sources may be more difficult and the VLC PC interface isn't nearly as elegant, but I was surprised at how easy it was in this case.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
That's good to hear. One of the issues I have with Android is finding apps that access Samba shares easily. File and media sharing shouldn't be that difficult to implement. I defaulted to using streaming services years ago due to the difficulties accessing the local network on Android. I've yet to find an app that makes sharing and managing files between Android and a PC as easy as it is between PCs. It's possible, just not as easy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts