Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here using Google Photos?

Most of my online Google albums (photos, videos and auto awesome) now appear on Google Photos and the search function is a pretty slick trick. For example, I have taken pictures of some of my shade trees over the years to track the impact of the EAB and DED on them. Now I can pull them up in a few seconds. It certainly saves me time tagging my photos or organizing them into folders/collections.

Now for human tagging, I did this a lot in the past with Picasa but got lazy and tired of the re-scanning. Is anyone using the tagging in Google Photos online? Do you know if the existing EXIF tags are preserved? I'll be looking into it shortly.

My largest photo size is 16 MPixel so I should be able to upload without worry. The bulk of my video is either 720P 30FPS or 1080P 30FPS so no worries there. I do have a lot of 720P 120FPS video. I wonder if that counts towards my 15GB?

So what other interesting things can you do?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Is Google using some sort of image recognition to provide that service?

If so, it's a bit scary how that could be used for other purposes...

·
Super Moderator
11,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes they use facial recognition as well as object and place recognition. You can opt out of these. For sure it could be used to track you. They (Google) have easier ways of determining my location so scanning my photos would not be the most efficient when they could just look at my email or the location services running.

The place recognition is pretty cool. Long ago trips are being tagged with their location.

I also discovered some 15 year old panoramas I had forgotten I had taken. Google detected those and stitched them for me.

I really like the collages they make. I often take multiple photos of people and the 3-4 frame collages are great to print and frame.

The 'stories' is also neat. It will pull a bunch of videos and pictures from the same time and create a movie with music and special filters. It feels like I am watching a video from my own childhood.

They also take single photos and apply filters creating quite unique results.

I am certainly discovering more than I did when the 15000 photos and videos were just sitting on a drive.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I went the google photos route too a few weeks ago and love it. I had photos spread across 3 PCs, 2 android tablets, a blackberry, an Ipad, an Iphone, and a camcorder! Don't realize how many photos you have until you start to think back about all your sources. And when I consider the types of photos these were (ie children growing up) I am so glad to have them now all in one place. Took about a week to get through all devices and get stuff uploaded to the cloud.

The tagging of photos is very cool. You do need to change your location and use a VPN to enable facial recognition, but once you get that running the first time you no longer need to use VPN again. The types categorization is cool too. As a frequent concert-goer, love the fact that I can hit the "concerts" choice and all my shows pop up from over the year. Geolocation is also more sophisticated as google not only uses GPS tagging, but also can recognize elements in pictures and associate them with locations (eg Golden Gate Bridge, Statue of Liberty, etc). I have a bunch of photos from Japan taken with an old digital camera that it somehow was able to label with specific precincts.

Only problem I have found is it doesn't really allow for manual tagging of photos if you want them tagged, or if google gets its tagging wrong. For example, some dates on mine are wrong. And with kids growing up it gets a little mixed up with infant / toddler / child / young adult facial recognition. Would be good to remove, merge, combine, etc some of these tags.

Overall love it and notwithstanding privacy would highly recommend to others.

·
Super Moderator
11,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice.

I put in a feature request today with Google. That is expanded search parameters. I suggested searches by EXIF data. I also suggested they add a way to find photos uploaded as ORIGINAL versus ones with HIGH RES. Right now you can't.

I do have some wrong dates as well and you can edit that in Picasa. But unless Picasa gets Google Photo syncing I think I will wait until it is added. I love Picasa but man it was confusing to use. What with Picasa uploading to Web Albums, Drop Box albums, Google+ and Google Drive ... all hosting variations of my pictures.

As for tagging I think Google Photo Albums will fill that requirement. One picture can reside in multiple albums.

·
Super Moderator
11,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I discovered that you can search your photos by camera model. You might have to play with the string a bit but my Nexus 7 tablet uses #nexus7. One of my other cameras is #CanonPowerShotSX200IS. So look at the EXIF data and remove any spaces.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I am finding that this app is stirring up quite a bit of debate on privacy. Lots of people quesy at the prospect of uploading images to a cloud where they are scanned and tagged by face, location, date, elemements, etc. One of my acquintances is the privacy officer of a large health organization and he cringes at the thought of what can be done with the information. For me it's a risk I am willing to take. Bigger risk is not having digital pics / vids in an offsite secure location and lost on multiple devices.

Anyone catch the new user license for Windows 10 and the fact that Microsoft reserves the right to access your personal iser files on your hard drive in certain instances? Seems like privacy is really being tested to the limits more and more y these big tech companies...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts