Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Im currently on a fido contract which will be expiring soon. I want to buy a Nexus S phone. Rogers/fido offers that phone which they say is unlocked. Since Fido's and Rogers pricing sucks, I might switch to mobilicity in a couple months. If I buy a Rogers/fido nexus s, will it work with mobilicity's 3G network ? I've read that a mobilicity phone or a used craigslist phone won't get 3G through fido.

Basically, is there a nexus s version that will give me compatibility with both networks ? I want to buy the phone outright, which will give me better bargaining power through fido. I'm going to tell them to match mobilicity's pricing or im gonna switch providers.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
If you're going to switch providers, then do so before buying new hardware; especially if your new provider supports a different set of frequencies. This is the case for all the new companies (Mobilicity, Wind, etc).

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
There are two versions of the Nexus S. One that works with 3G on Bell/Rogers/Telus and their flanker brands, and one that works with 3G on Wind/Mobilicity/Videotron. There is no version that will do both.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. That is the answer I needed. With my fido dollars I can get the nexus for dirt cheap. Maybe I can convince them to reduce my rates now that my contract is almost up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts