Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in the Google Nest Video Doorbell since I am striving to keep my Smart products as much as possible under one brand if possible. I certainly enjoy the Google brand so the Google Nest brand makes smart sense to me. When you have a Google Nest product like a Google Nets Video Door bell or a Google Nest Thermostat do they need to create their OWN account on the Nest Server or can you use your Google credentials within their app?

This may not mean anything important to the rest of you but to a few certain people, this means a lot. I am one of those guys who don't just blindly put my info on any server out there I am striving to minimize my digital footprint as much as possible, I am very happy with Google so does nest products use Googles credentials or do they need their own login

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
My experience, though not with Nest, is that all Google devices require a Google/Gmail account. It doesn't need to be the same account and there are tradeoffs. Using the same account on everything leads to better integration. Using separate accounts could potentially increase security and privacy but may render some features unusable or more difficult to use. I use the same Gmail account on all Google devices but I limit the account to just that. I use different accounts for general email, financial services and other types of devices. That protects other services and devices in the event that an account gets hacked.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have experience with Nest/Google. I have their cameras (older Dropcam and Nestcam), Nest Protect (fire alarm), Nest Hubs, Lenovo Smart Display and Clock, Nest Mini, Google Mini, had a Nest thermostat (now an Ecobee) they ALL use the same main Google account (a Gmail type email or a register Gmail domain). it works OK.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have all my Google stuff on a single email. I used a different one for Play Music as kids made their own playlists and I didn't need them in my email. Old grandfathered plan at $7.99 CAD/month. I wish I still had it, rolled in to YouTube music and the app is very lacking compared to Play Music. Especially in the car.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it appears the older nest products (Pre-google acquisition) are designed to connect to the Nest app / Nest account to set up the devices. After that, you can "migrate" your nest account into your google account and then your google home will see the devices. The newer google products are designed for the Google Home app and you can discover them and configure them right in the google home app.

So even though you can migrate your nest account over to google, the way it works is google still treats the original nest products / nest account as a linked account and not fully integrated into googles eco system. only the newer nest products are fully integrated, not that it matters to people, often people will not be interested in how it works behind the scenes.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is what I am trying to avoid. I could buy the older google nest hello doorbell its on sale, they're trying to rid of the inventory, then have to open a nest account and migrate it over to my google account
or
I can fork over a little extra and get the google nest 2nd gen which is designed for the google home eco system
I probably would prefer to get the 2nd gen as it would be more easier to integrate into my existing google ecosystem with less steps.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Had my thermostat and lock before the Home app became a thing. Registered the 2 with my main gmail and then Home with the same. The lock and thermo just moved over and was added to the home app if memory serves. I don't mind the nest app, on my home screen on the phone and it's quicker to navigate to lock or unlock the door.

@Digmor Crusher As far as having the mothership listening, it's a choice. I don't care if someone knows when I turn on my heat or lock my door or turn on a lamp. Unless you're on this website using Tor, you have also told another mothership where you are and what you're doing ;)

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
I don't care if someone knows when I turn on my heat or lock my door or turn on a lamp.
How about if an organized crime group harvests the same data and uses it to find out when the door is accidentally left unlocked or analyzes the data to find out when you are away. They could also hack the account and use it to unlock doors or just mess with you. It has happened with a number of devices that had poor security. I've run across devices, such as security cameras, that completely stop working when the internet is lost, putting occupants at risk. The whole "cloud" thing is a scam to accumulate personal data for profit and obtain money from subscriptions. Cloud accounts and data accumulation are unnecessary for most devices and a standalone option should be mandatory for all devices unless it is opted into for necessary functions that require outside communications.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Google is already too much like Big Brother. It wants to make it impossible not to be tracked and I often see changes to their products toward that goal. They do want to make it impossible for others to track people and make a big deal of it but that's just to protect their own business plan. I purchased a Nest product a few months ago. That it required a Google account and internet connection to function was bad enough. Then I found out that some of the most important functions would be disabled after 30 days unless a $10/month subscription was purchased. I couldn't return it fast enough. The replacement seemed better since an account and subscription were optional. When Rogers had their internet outage some time ago, it completely stopped working, even on the LAN it was connected to, even though it does not use the internet for local functions.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is why its a must to do your homework and research when buying a doorbell camera instead of just buying the cheapest one you see. Lot of people will simply go and look for a quick sale and buy the cheapest one, but to their surprise they may need to pay monthly fees to unlock the useful features you want it to do.

While its true the more expensive ones may have more standard features, this is not always the case.

Also most people should be aware by now we live in the digital age. If they want a fancy off the shelf consumer products like video doorbells or thermostats or surveillance cameras or smoke alarms that are simple to install and use, be prepared to give up some level of your personal data or privacy. There are also options out there which are less intrusive at collecting or using our personal information, however those probably have a more complex installation and setup and are not so do it yourself friendly

I am okay with using google devices and with some of my personal and private information being used by google. I accept this when I use their products. I also accept that if some other company were to acquire them I would also be okay with them handling my personal info as well. This is the same thing as people who bought nest products and are okay with google purchasing the company and now being in control of the data they hold

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
If they want a fancy off the shelf consumer products like video doorbells or thermostats or surveillance cameras or smoke alarms that are simple to install and use, be prepared to give up some level of your personal data or privacy.
I don't agree that needs to be true. We have smoke alarms and CO detectors that have all the features we need. They are linked by RF so an alarm in one room sounds an alarm on the others. They were plug and play with no cloud accounts or internet connection. I can see why some people might want an app to track them everywhere they go but it's not necessary. The same goes for doorbells and thermostats and many other, similar products.

The problem is that hi-tech companies have sold a lot of people on getting cheaper devices that are financed by using and selling their personal information and the data they generate. What they don't realize is that there may be a high price to pay down the road for divulging all that information. Things like doxing, canceling, stalking, identity theft and just general lack of privacy are becoming a big issue. A bad tweet made today that may be in bad taste can get someone fired, harassed, ruin their career or potentially jailed in a few years when attitudes and laws toward that subject change. Apps and devices that track health or health care are getting people in legal trouble in some states.

What's even worse is that hostile states or countries are stealing and compiling personal information for use against foreign citizens or countries. We've already seen what misinformation and disinformation spread by hostile countries can do on social media. That's just what we see. There is a lot more going on behind the scenes.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am all about protecting ones privacy and I go out of my way to do it, I often do a yearly analysis of my Digital Footprint and try to minimize it as best as possible. The answer we are looking for is Education. No one wants to come forward and educate the general public about the risks of their privacy, but we get bombarded with advertisements about smart this, smart that.

In order not to deviate from the topic, When you buy a product from a company like Nest or Fitbit you have no idea if down the road they will be acquired by another company such as Alphabet (Google) who will be in control of the products and the consumer data. We know smart products aren't going away, so just make a wise chose when purchasing, stick to reputable brands., and if possible, find alternate ways of paying for your subscriptions like with gift cards instead of divulging your credit card.

I think I am going to purchase the Google Nest Doorbell cam 2nd generation for either Black Friday or Boxing Day. I am aware of the privacy concerns, but I also have a need to protect my home and property. There have been an outrageous number of car thefts and break-ins in the GTA. Simply doing nothing about it is not a good answer anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts