·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
451 Posts
Agreed!

(PS - better this than "Google Maps now has the ability to control your vehicle remotely via a satellite link".

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I have been waiting for this for a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG (see the large number of O's) time.

Keep on trucking Google!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow that is a long time jvincent ;)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Do they simply grab the information from weather.com and overlay it onto corresponding locations on the map?

What would be really cool is if Google maps has access to individual weather stations and the data is dynamically updated on the map in realtime!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Do they simply grab the information from weather.com and overlay it onto corresponding locations on the map?

What would be really cool is if Google maps has access to individual weather stations and the data is dynamically updated on the map in realtime!
Well, of course. Isn't Google really Skynet or Encom's Master Control Program, at the end of the day? :eek:

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I assume that Google will have live weather and do a much better job of presenting it than any of the other weather apps out there.

Go Google!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Google should add a "real estate" layer for maps, and crush Realtors and their horrible realtor.ca site.

Connect buyers to sellers and sell ads for lawyers and other professionals that can help you with your paperwork.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think that should have a historical feature where you can see maps from the past for a location. Not sure how usefull that is but I always like to see old maps of places I live/work to see what was there 50/100 years ago. It would be neat to be able to scroll through time and see what roads were moved built etc.

·
Super Moderator
11,284 Posts
Clarknova you will be happy to know that that exists in Google Earth (just click on the clock icon on the tool bar). Whoa I just saw you wanted to go back 50 to 100 years. This is only for satellite imagery so maybe 10 to 20 years depending on scale.

However, on the topic of weather in Google Maps I am not as excited as everyone else. Whilst checking the weather for a trip east today it is showing this nonsensical data.

Eastern Ontario

PS: A weather layer has existed in Google Earth for a long time.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
On historic maps:

Mcgill (not sure if it is the Montreal University), has historical maps (pre 1900) of much of southern ontario, in high resolution maps. Mostly it is township maps, not much town/city detail.

There are also survey maps done by the Canadian government. Those are available for sale on paper, but may also be online, but are kind of hard to find. You might find them at public libraries.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
On historic maps:

Mcgill (not sure if it is the Montreal University), has historical maps (pre 1900) of much of southern ontario, in high resolution maps. Mostly it is township maps, not much town/city detail.
Indeed they do. It is McGill in Montreal.

It's a great resource, that I use frequently!

http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/SearchMapframes.php

Not sure about Google weather - there's a tool out there using private local stations overlain on Google maps, that is very useful for seeing how the temperatures vary on a local area, at Weather Underground. http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
What a disappointment. I was hoping for real time weather information overlaid on the satellite map. That would indicate nearby thunder storms and other imminent weather events.

·
Banned
310 Posts
ClarkNova,

Move to Regina SK if you want historical Google maps. I'm sure the satellite imagery is at least 5 years old considering the buildings missing in the photos.

·
Registered
370 Posts
What a disappointment. I was hoping for real time weather information overlaid on the satellite map. That would indicate nearby thunder storms and other imminent weather events.
This site is pretty close to what you're looking for I think.

http://weatherspark.com/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts