Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The Nexus 7 is now available on-line at the Google Play Store, $229 for the 16GB model, $269 for 32GB, with free ground shipping for a limited time only.

Even though the price of the 32GB model at the Google Play Store price is $10 less than the price at NCIX *and* I purchased NCIX's quick 30 day RMA, it still cost me less to purchase my Nexus 7 from NCIX than from the Google Play Store because I don't pay Quebec sales tax on orders originating from BC.

However, after 30 days, if my Nexus 7 breaks down, I have to contact Asus for service. If I had bought it from Google instead, the service would be handled by Google.

I mention this because my Nexus 4 phone has just experienced the "Red Light of Death" and is now completely unresponsive. So I'm about to experience firsthand how easy (apparently) it is to get a product serviced (i.e. replaced, most likely with new) by Google.

Asus' support is a big question mark. I once had a bit of trouble ordering a replacement power supply for a rackmount server, but that's an entirely different product category (industrial vs consumer). Plus, Asus may try to repair the unit instead of replacing it, or replace it with a refurbished unit.

So many question marks, and no reliable answers.

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
I have been buying ASUS products for many years right now. They have great products but unfortunately, the greatness stops there. Their customer support is not the best. Having said that, I still trust their products to keep buying from them.

I wonder how good Google is compared to ASUS?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I mention this because my Nexus 4 phone has just experienced the "Red Light of Death" and is now completely unresponsive. So I'm about to experience firsthand how easy (apparently) it is to get a product serviced (i.e. replaced, most likely with new) by Google.
My Nexus 7 developed a small dead spot on its screen, one very quick call to Google and I had a new Nexus 7 within 7 days at no cost to me. They simply held the cost of the replacement on my card (without drawing the funds) until they had received the old unit back.

Excellent service, no questions asked.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I wonder how good Google is compared to ASUS?
That should be how good is LG compared to ASUS. Google subcontracts out all of their manufacturing, at least for now. I don't know if they'll have Motorola make all of their phones and tablets in the future. Samsung used to make Nexus phones until they decided to go their own way, and very successfully too.

Anyway, the call has been placed on Sunday. Now I'm just waiting for the RMA confirmation and paperwork.

As for the Nexus 7, I'm now moving over to the OWNERS thread! :cool:

41 - 44 of 44 Posts