Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week on the official company blog, Google announced that it is testing a new publishing platform called "Knol", which stands for a unit of knowledge.

It's being compared to Wikipedia but the difference between Knol and a Wiki is Knol's strong focus on authors. While a Wiki page is a collaboration of many authors, a Knol is owned and maintained by one person.

At the heart, Google says knol is just a web page where authors can create topics, and link to articles and content but layered onto the Knol page are various community tools so readers will be able to submit comments, questions, edits, additional content, and so on.

Anyone will be able to rate a knol or write a review of it. Knols will also include references and links to additional information. At the discretion of the author, a knol may include ads.

Knol is not currently open to the public and for now is by invitation only.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
now live for everyone.

·
Registered
184 Posts
It sounds like it will be very complementary to Wikipedia. One of Wikipedia's problems is that over time, internet references can become lost as hosting sites change or move on or for any number of reasons. With authors placing their content on Knol, I would foresee many links in Wikipedia articles referring to this content. Effectively, Knol is a repository for original research, whereas Wikipedia is an assimilation of knowledge on every subject imaginable based on original research.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Won't it take super long for enough articles to be written, to make this a place to go to for info? Maybe if I was actually writing a term paper, it would be worth it for a search. But generally, when I want to know what something is, it's quicker to Google it and click on the wikipedia entry.

I guess if there's a Knol entry, it will show up first on a Google search?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts