Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

141 - 160 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I got a Chromecast around Christmas. It works well with Youtube and Plex - but you have to buy a Plex subscription. I haven't yet played with my router to redirect calls to Google's 8.8.8.8 DNS to allow Netflix to work, but I guess I will have to do that eventually.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Mine came from Amazon.com shipped to my Sister in Law in Texas who brought it up at Christmas time. The other thing is that my Netflix account is a "US" account which is registered in the US and uses a Virtual credit card for US payment. Normally that doesn't matter with Netflix.

I haven't played with it too much, I will have to try it again.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The Netflix account should be irrelevant, the Chromecast will just default to the country it is in, I've used min ein the US and it just picks up Netflix US. The process to point it to Netflix US is pretty in depth and requires some scripts etc coded into the router software..............that was what it was a while back anyway, check on XDA

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
That's more in depth than most people can cope with, and for those of us with Telus routers I don't believe it is possible at all.

I have a spare CC that I am going to root and stick a custom ROM on it that allows you to change the DNS on the CC itself.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I agree that it isn't for the feint of heart but we are getting a bit sophisticated when we are trying to use devices that are not supported in our country and using Netflix's US service. I personally don't think that copying and pasting one or two lines into a router config page is that much harder than chaning a DNS entry, which is what you have to do for Unblockus.

With Telus can't you put your router in bridge mode? That's what you can do with Rogers - what they give you is a joi8nt router/cable mode but you shut off the router side. I can't believe that Telus doesn't let you manage your own LAN. I don't want to get OT here but if you Google Telus Modem bridge mode you will find some entries - hopefully that is your modem.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Great news that the SDK has been released, AllCast has been reinstated to the Play Store.........won't be long before more apps are released.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Now where's the international/Canadian rollout?? I'll bet on May which is around the time of Google IO and roughly one year since the initial announcement.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great news that the SDK has been released, AllCast has been reinstated to the Play Store.........won't be long before more apps are released.
I've installed AllCast but it won't run until Google updates my Google Play Services.

I wish I could get the update myself but apparently I must just sit back and wait patiently until they get around to sending it to me!

141 - 160 of 279 Posts