Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
101 - 120 of 279 Posts
I'll be in the US soon, so I'm considering picking one of these up. $35 isn't much. But it sounds like it doesn't do much just yet. You need a higher end tv (with HDMI) to get anything out of it. Hmmm...

You need a higher end tv (with HDMI) to get anything out of it. Hmmm...
What do you mean by that? Doesn't every TV sold in about the last 9 years have HDMI? I have two TVs without HDMI, one of them I bought in early 2002, the other in mid 2003. Every TV I has bought since then, including very cheap TVs, have HDMI.

i was one of the lucky ones that got a chromecast ordered (off amazon.ca)before they took down the page.. or i should say my order is placed and it hasn't been cancelled.. $35, plus shipping and tax came out to $47 ..

What do you mean by that? Doesn't every TV sold in about the last 9 years have HDMI? I have two TVs without HDMI, one of them I bought in early 2002, the other in mid 2003. Every TV I has bought since then, including very cheap TVs, have HDMI.
I have two CRT tv's in the house, with no HDMI. They're tv's in rooms that would be perfect for a $35 solution. I may pick one up anyway though.

In which case I sure hope that TV show purchases on the Play Store are soon to follow.

But I doubt either are related to their event on the 24th , I think both the Chromecast and Canadian TV show purchases week just one day appear.

I got my Chromecast yesterday and got it all setup.. as far as i can tell all you get to do is shoot you-tube videos to your tv.. not much else for content, unless im missing something. Anyone else ???

Chromecast is now available on the Canadian play store so it stands to reason the device will be sold in Canada very soon, maybe on or after the 24th.
timing is everything - a friend brought me one back from the states last week but when I went to set it up the Canadian Google Play store told me that the app wasn't available in my country ... a couple of days later & now it is! :D

will be setting it up tonite.

Chromecast is now available on the Canadian play store so it stands to reason the device will be sold in Canada very soon, maybe on or after the 24th.
Getting a little off topic here but earlier I was able to see the Chromecast and TV shows in the (Canadian) Play store.

Tonight though the only thing available on Google Play are Android Apps. Devices, Books, Movies, and TV are all gone. For all of those I now get a message such as:

Sorry! Movies on Google Play is not available in your country yet.
We're working to bring the content you love to more countries as quickly as possible.
Please check back again soon.

Just using Movies as an example. Would be a major set back to loose Movies for the Chromecast. Hopefully this is just temporary as they transition to offering us the Chromecast and TV shows.

Crappy tab casting

Forgive me if this has been asked before - I just received my Chromecast here in Canada yesterday. I had no problem setting it up and using it on our two Android tablets, streaming from Youtube, Netflix and Play Movies. The Chromecast and the tablets are connected to my LAN via a Dlink 505 extender which is in turn connected to my router (a Sagemcom Fast284). My ISP is Bell Fibe 50/50.

Then I went to my Windows 7 PC, which is wired through 500AV Powerline Ethernet to the Sagemcom.

I installed the Chromecast extension, and tried to 'cast a tab with video in it (Vimeo, for example).

As soon as I click the Cast button in Chrome, the video on the Windows PC starts to stutter and freeze, and the Cast button turns red, with the message that the network performance and/or my computer's performance is insufficient (I have a dual-core 2.8 GHz CPU).

Is there any way of improving my tab casting experience, aside from buying a 4 GHz Quad-core CPU?

Thanks for any advice.

You can modify the streaming quality, right click on the Chromecast extension icon and select options. I find that the Extreme setting causes issues, but set 720p works fine as long as my laptop is on mains power but if its on battery it can still cause some stuttering. You may also have issues with your laptop being connected via powerline adaptor, you have multiple steps in your network setup which could be causing performance drops. Try it on pure wifi.

101 - 120 of 279 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.