Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I think they are, looking at the Unblock-us forums. I have the same issue with a Dynex Blu-Ray, despite setting unblock-us on the device it always defaults to Canada. Now that my phone is set to not go through Unblock-Us I have no issues with Netflix.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Set it up in 10 minutes...would have been quicker but the Google Play store (Nexus7) and AppStore (iPad3) wouldnt give me the app in in Canada so I had to dust off a laptop and do it old school. Pretty seamless controlling Netflix with the Nexus7...but its the fourth device on my rig that can do the same thing!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The thing gets pretty warm to the touch after a while.

Overall I'm glad I bought was because I like the "toys" - but I'm having a hard time putting it to use. I have so many other Netflix devices and I do like to have actual devices with their own remote controls etc. And all of those don't have issues with unblock-us.

So for me, right now it's a "gadget".

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Off to pick up my 2nd Chromecast tomorrow, also noticed that you can now cast Netflix from a Chrome tab but it still pulls the content directly from Netflix so no luck with Unblock-Us working with it.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
^ Curious as to what you're using yours for brownstar? For Netflix I'm still using the Roku's and ATV. I'm not really using my Chromecast at all right now.

But I think what I'll do is pick up a couple more for the other TVs in the house when I'm next in the US. Then "trim the cord" and take off $56+TAX per month off of my BEV subscription. And instead buy TV shows through the Google Play store and use the Google Play casting to the Chromecast.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
... also noticed that you can now cast Netflix from a Chrome tab but it still pulls the content directly from Netflix so no luck with Unblock-Us working with it.
Got mine working through unblock-us. Solution was actually pretty simple.

For the "less-familiar with the situation" folks, here's a simplified explanation of the issue with Chromecast & unblock-us and the solution:

THE PROBLEM:
  • unblock-us relies on using their DNS servers.
  • DNS servers are usually specified in the device itself or by your router.
  • The Chromecast always uses the Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) and we can't change that
THE SOLUTION:
  • Have your router redirect requests to the Google DNS servers to the unblock-us DNS servers
HOW TO IMPLEMENT:
  • This is going to depend on your specific router. If you just have a cheapo router you may be out of luck. But most good ones allow you to connect to them via telnet or ssh. From there they're basically trimmed down linux machines.
  • Linux uses "iptables" commands to handle it's internal firewall.
  • All we need to do is add some custom rules to the internal linux firewall:
iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -s 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 -d 8.8.8.8 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 208.122.23.22
iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -s 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 -d 8.8.4.4 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 208.122.23.23
What these commands are basically saying is: anything from my internal network (192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0) if it's going to Google's servers (IP address 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and if the port is 53 (which is for DNS) then instead route to the unblock-us DNS servers (208.122.23.22 and 208.122.23.23).

I'm using the Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight router with the Merlin-WRT firmware so for me adding these two commands to a startup script was really easy. If you're using any other DD-WRT firmware (which works on a huge variety of routers) then it should also be pretty easy for you.

I added these two lines in my router and then plugged in my Chromecast. Voila it worked fine for US Netflix content. Tested it casting Netflix from both a Chrome tab and the Android App. Both worked. Watched the final episode of S2 of Wilfred which is US only. (Shocker season ending again!)

Not sure that the PQ was as good through the Chomecast but it's only one show I've watched. And my AVR was getting DD+ where I think through the ATV it reported just DD.

Anyway, that's how to get this device or any other similar device that doesn't take its DNS settings from your router to work with unblock-us.

P.S. If you assign your Chromecast a static IP in your router's DHCP table then you could use that in those commands instead of your entire subnet.

P.S.S. I got this solution from an XDA thread.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yeah I saw that thread, I cannot get that level of access to my router as is Telus. If I can be bothered I'll set up my own router and not use the Telus one.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Kind of crappy that they force you to use their own DNS settings. I know they are fast, but still! Makes me wonder if they force that upon chromebooks etc.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I've also had issues with Google Chrome and Netflix roaming with a PC. It appears that Google is very proactive in enforcing geoblocking on their products. Don't know on which other services they enforce it but some people here seem to have had success. I would guess that connecting the Chromecast to a router proxy from day one may make a difference.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Its the same as a Roku, you cannot change the DNS on the product...........there are ways around it but its complex at present. For what its worth, I've never had any issues with Chrome and Netflix, when using Unblock-Us or not.

SO far I really like the Chromecast, it does what its supposed to really well. I've got two and use them regularly to watch Netflix, You Tube, BBC iPlayer and the other on demand services available from UK TV channels. I've also played videos from Comedy Central, Food Network & Discovery (all US) with no problem. The Chrome tab casting works really well, just wish you could do it from an Android device rather than PC.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
...It appears that Google is very proactive in enforcing geoblocking on their products.
No, it's not about geoblocking. It's about them being able to record more information about what sites/services are being accessed. It's all about harvesting that data that they would otherwise not have.

...I would guess that connecting the Chromecast to a router proxy from day one may make a difference.
Why would that be? If the DNS servers are hardcoded in, and not taken from the DHCP server then why would using a router proxy on day one make any difference. It's hardcoded in for the reasons I stated above. You can work around that with your router using the method I posted the details on earlier.

Its the same as a Roku, you cannot change the DNS on the product...........there are ways around it but its complex at present.
It's not the same as the Roku. With the Roku you can't manually set the DNS servers on the device itself but it does take the DNS settings given to it from the DHCP server. The Chromecast is different as it's not doing that. It's not taking the DHCP given settings: it's using Google's only. It's not at all complex to work around it on the Roku: just change the DNS settings on your router DHCP, reboot the Roku, and that's all. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've been playing around with this thing all weekend. If anyone hasn't tried Plex Media Server with it yet I strongly suggest you do. I wanted to stream HD MKV to Chromecast but regular Chrome casting support sucks so I tried Plex, installed in minutes, scans your drives and creates a beautiful list of your media, and then you can simply stream all of your media via chrome with it. Within about 10 minutes I was streaming MKVs upstairs.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Bummer though that Google Play doesn't have TV content for Canada. Was going to buy my TV shows on Google Play and then watch on the Chromecast. But it looks like Google Play is movies only in Canada. So I guess for TV shows in Canada our only choice is iTunes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If anyone hasn't tried Plex Media Server with it yet I strongly suggest you do ..... you can simply stream all of your media via chrome with it.
Thanks for pointing that out, I always use Plex Media Center on my HTPC and had forgotten that you can watch videos in the browser based Media Manager.

This is a great alternative until native support for Chromecast is added to Plex, which is seeming more and more likely.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
So it's been out for over two months now (seems longer than that) and not much has developed. I still run into all sorts of little bugs like most times the phone will act as a remote control automatically even with the screen locked but other times it will loose track and you need to relaunch the [netflix] app.

Only a "preview SDK" has been released and hence there's no new apps or functionality. The excitement definitely seems to have died down as these seem readily available at most Best Buy stores now.

Google better do something with this thing in the next 1-2 months (i.e. fix bugs, release SDK, and new capabilities/apps) or it will be going the way of their GoogleTV.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Converting to CAD and adding HST brings you to over $40 so a little over $50 doesn't sound too bad since you have to include shipping.

81 - 100 of 279 Posts