Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
It is a device when using Netflix & You Tube as its pulling the content directly from those providers but you control it with you phone or tablet. I've only played with it for a short while and its pretty good for casting tabs but it goes a little bit wobbly when using Netflix, especially when my phone/tablet are going through Unblock-Us, it doesn't seem to like it. However casting Netflix in Chrome (with Unblock-Us setup on the PC) works really well.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
No, it's an issue with casting full screen vs just a single browser tab. With their demo video on their chromecast webpage it only gets the sound when casting the tab.

When plugged into my AVR, my AVR doesn't seem to pick up on it and send the signal through to the TV even though my computer can find it.

When plugged into the TV directly I'm getting delays (choppy-ness) when watching their promo video through the chrome browser tab. Netflix plays but has a huge audio delay (looping issue). Youtube seems better but keeps giving me a "your chromecast is taking an abnormally long time to respond" error.

So this thing seems like an interesting idea but also seems really beta-ish at this point.

Hopefully it will improve in time. At least it was only $35. :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I noticed a slight audio lag with Netflix but when I tried it on my PS3 it too was having the same issue, this has since disappeared. I'm not sure what your issue is but I can play a video in Chrome, cast it and then make if full screen with no lag.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I still only get sound when casting Netflix, YouTube, and a chrome browser tab. When I vast my entire Windows 8 desktop the sound goes back to the PC speakers.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
^ brownstar, no I haven't done a factory reset on it but I did some searching and I found lots of other reports that screen casting doesn't support audio. Only tab casting which is exactly what I reported.

...I'm not sure what your issue is but I can play a video in Chrome, cast it and then make if full screen with no lag.
Yes, sure that works fine for me too - with audio. But if I'm screen casting instead then there's no sound. Regardless of whether I play the video in a Chrome browser or in Windows Media Player. The audio goes back to the computer speakers.

Anyway it looks like that's a known limitation so I'm sure if you tried playing your video when screen casting instead of in a tab you'd experience the same thing. Thanks for the suggestions though. But at this point I'll just sit back and wait for Google to "fix it" :)

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Yes, "screen casting" is what I've been saying all along.

In the chrome browser rather than choosing the "share this tab" option you can take the pull down arrow and instead cast your entire desktop. Everything is mirrored including your start menu, desktop, any apps, etc. That's a "beta" feature and that's what I've been pointing out does not cast audio.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Ah yes, found it now..........it does say experimental, hopefully they can sort the audio out as it would be a great way to us non Canadian Netflix on the Chromecast.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Are you able to use yours when plugged into an HDMI port on your AV receiver??? I plugged mine in using the HDMI port where I usually have my Roku and the TV reports "no signal". Strange... that should work.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
No, I don't have any spare so plugged it direct into the TV and use an optical out to the AVR. I'll try it when I get a chance.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Picked up a couple today...they don't do anything I can't already do with a Samsung Smart TV and AppleTV, but they'll make good gifts for friends that are still getting into streaming.

I do like the fact that it supports HDMI-CEC which for reasons which I just can't understand is not yet supported on AppleTV.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Agreed - there would be more of a wow factor if we didn't have AirPlay.

As for my AVR hookup - tried it again tonight and now it is working through the AVR. Don't know why it didn't want to work last night yet tonight it does.

I see a little bit of overscan but that might be my TV setting.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Are you able to use yours when plugged into an HDMI port on your AV receiver???
Mine works 100% when plugged into my Yamaha RXA-1000 receiver. Prefer to run it this way rather than through the TV.

Agree with the comment on doing what a smart TV does -- totally agree. But the market for these are generally folks who don't have smart TV's. I bought mine just to try out, and with the $21 Netflix credit the cost was a drop in the bucket.

I actually find my Samsung smart TV's way superior to this, especially with the new "screen mirroring" functionality that allows me to stream ANY content from my Samsung Galaxy's directly to the TV's. This works on any and every android app available... not just youtube and netflix. Love running MAME to the big TV's. :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
One thing the crime cat does that you can't do with phones and maybe smart TV's is cast ask video due to the players used on some websites. I like that I can stream anything from a chrome tab to the chromecast, there are some on demand video that just won't play on my phone or tablet.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
This thing is kind of flaky: I'm watching a movie on the ATV3 which is excellent super-HD pic and DD sound. I decide to try the chromecast instead so I stop the ATV. Open up the netflix app on my phone and cast. I get the red netflix screen and the loading counter for a bit and then "this title cannot be streamed.... select another title" or something like that. I try another title I was watching yesterday on my Roku. Plays fine on the phone, then try to cast it and I get some "session timed out" error instead. In the end I go back to watching the movie on the ATV.

This thing has potential but it's not there yet. Let's just hope Google pays more attention to it than they have the GoogleTV!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Have you got Unblock-Us or similar DNS service set on your phone? I'm was having similar issues with Netflix until I set my phone to not use Unblock-Us. You need to have the controlling device on the same Netflix region as the Chromecast.

I've been using my Chromecast a lot and have not had many issues with streaming or quality. I encountered bufffering tonight when casting from Chrome but my laptop was buffering as well so it was the website rather than the Chromecast.

I do agree its not yet 100% but that is pretty much Google's approach to development. Get it to 85-90% and develop it in the market place with real consumers.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Yes I'm behind unblock-us but at the router level so it should put everything including the Chromecast on the same plane and hence I wouldn't have thought that would be an issue. Unless Google is doing more robust location verification I guess.

61 - 80 of 279 Posts