Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Being that it is slated for an international release, I am not surprised Canadian Netflix does work. Besides with such a small, cheap device, travelers will be taking it with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Love My Chromecast

Bought my Chromecast 3 weeks ago at Best Buy across the border. Included 3 months free Netflix, which worked in Canada and I am using. Wife (iphone), kids (ipods) and me (Nexus and iphone) can all choose Netfilx shows or Youtube and instantly cast to the TV while still using the device. I also use Teamviewer on my Nexus to virtually connect to my desktop PC (20 feet away in my office), where I open Plex or any media file and cast to my TV - no stutter (set at 480 instead of 720 or higher). Key is good Router. Have casted Hulu, movies, and football video streams (in browser) to TV without any issue. Along with set-top OTA antenna that gets CTV/CBC/GLobal, I am now ready to "cut the cord" and will call my provider tomorrow. Love it!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Included 3 months free Netflix, which worked in Canada and I am using.
Can you please confirm for me that you used your BestBuy Chromecast code with Netflix CANADA? I have a Chromecast with Netflix code as well but haven't activated it yet. I only subscribe to Canadian services. Will Netflix Canada give me 3 months free?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Netflix is Netflix is Netflix.........it shouldn't make a difference.

Also, Chromecast's back in stock at BB in the US, just placed my order

·
Registered
3 Posts
Netflix

Yes, I can confirm that the Netflix code (printed on the receipt from Best Buy) works. I never had Netflix prior to this, so it was a brand new subscription (I realized later that I should have done the free one month from Netflix then added the three months later).

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'm not going to pay $70 for it, got one on back order at Amazon.com, my credit card already works there and I'm off over the border next week and will see if I can pick one up.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Same here. Bestbuy still shows them as out of stock even online. Google shows shipping in 2-3 weeks but doesn't seem to want to take a Canadian credit card. So I ordered a couple on Amazon.com (which takes my Canadian credit card just fine) and now I'll just wait.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
When I placed the order on bb.com there was no option to change the country for the billing address to a Canadian one with a post code.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I lucked out - happend to stumble across one by accident when strolling in a Best Buy. They only had 1 left from a shipment they said they got last night.

Might cancel my Amazon order now as I have one to play with and if I want more I can order them in the future when they're back in stock and possibly available in Canada too.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Picked mine up from a BB in Burlington today, still got one of back order with Amazon and will probably keep the order as I can see me wanting to have 2 at least.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
It works well when showing people things on your laptop for example. Can display just a browser tab in chrome or the entire desktop. Not quite sure about Netflix yet - so far I'd rather use my Roku.

I think the way to think of it is like this: the Roku, AppleTV, etc are devices. They have remote controls, interfaces, updates, etc. This isn't really a device, in that way. You can't really control it directly. Instead it's just secondary screen for the devices you already have.

41 - 60 of 279 Posts