Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
How would audio for this work if you have an AVR and don't use your TVs speakers? Would this be able to send the audio over your TVs audio out and/or HDMI ARC?

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Assuming this works as advertised it makes it hard to pay $100s in premium for a smart TV when you can replicate that functionality for $35. I wonder if that worries the TV makers?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I'm not sure that you play hundreds of dollars "premium" for Smart TV functionality. Maybe $100, tops. Most of the increase in TV prices goes into better panel quality, or LED back lighting (as you move up the price chain).

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
now, if they could just squeeze Sage v.8 into that dongle someday.....and then attach it to one of the Google Internet Balloons.....

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
now, if they could just squeeze Sage v.8 into that dongle someday.....and then attach it to one of the Google Internet Balloons.....
But you still need the backend recording to get full value out of Sage which is a lot more complicated and expensive. Unless you could do cloud PVRing but that is a legal no-no, except possibly for OTA - see the Aereo lawsuits for more info on that.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
This is Google's answer to what can already be done in the Apple world with AirPlay, Microsoft world with Xbox and a tablet or PC with their smartglass app, and the PS3. (what is the name of their app?) So it appears they are just playing catch up, but at a fraction of the price! You do need an android device however to make the whole solution work whereas with the Xbox, PS3, and Apple TV, they can work independently and the "slinging" part is an optional feature.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
You need another device but not necessarily an Android device. An iOS deviceis also supported as are PCs, etc.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
A quick check on Best Buy shows a $400 price difference on a Samsnug 55" 120hz non smart & smart TV.
Samsung is fooling themselves if they think their smart features are worth an extra $400.00. Much better to have a replaceable solution like going from the Roku2 => 3 (world of difference) or Xbox360 => XboxOne AppleTV, PS3 to 4 etc etc.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I totally agree but when I have looked at the price differences they have been this amount or more. I have always advised folks not to pay up for the "smart" functionality since it becomes obsolete far faster than the TV. Far better to buy an ATV, Roku or Chromecast that you don't mind replacing in two years.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
There are reports the chrome mirroring stuff is not working as expected using Windows. Looks like there is more work to do yet before it is ready for prime time.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
What appears to be buggy is the mirroring of the browser screen which Google admits is just in beta. The core functionality of stuff like Netflix and Youtube seems fine from what I have read.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
Netflix, Youtube, and Google Play Movies all work just fine here in Canada.
I am surprised that Netflix Canada works since it uses different protocols and most US based devices do not work with the Canadian service. Many devices sold in Canada do have a Canadian version of the Netflix software but I wouldn't expect it with a Chromecast from the US. I also wouldn't expect it to work in Canada with US services since, as I said, Google Chrome is more restrictive than other browsers. I wouldn't, for example, expect it to work with US Netflix or any other US service that uses geoblocking, even with a proxy service.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The Netflix software is the same for Canada / US / UK, etc...

The changes you see based on your location are server based.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any Comments on Google new Device Chrome Cast

Hi all
Any update in this. Amazon.com is sold out and on the Google store it is OUT OF STOCK as well... There are a lot of Reviews on Amazon.... Any one here gave it a shot?????

21 - 40 of 279 Posts