·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now we have Rogers Media, Shaw Media and I wonder how long before CTV becomes part of Bell Media!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
The re-branding process will be interesting. As I said in another thread I look forward to seeing improvement in the product line, if you will. Accomplish things that Canwest could not. Shaw Media will be powerful and I wonder if they'll draw Corus into the picture eventually. That might draw regulator attention though.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It makes sense that the Canwest digital channels be folded in with the existing Corus channels. It would be far more efficient to operate all the digital channels under one company.

The question is then "would the Global Network be spun off as a separate company?"

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
I just don't understand why they are shutting down the head office in Winnipeg. Could they not put it to use? Seems like a waste to me. Oh well, can't wait to see what Shaw Media does.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Probably because all management operations of the broadcast channels will be moved to Shaw's head offices. There's no point in spending a ton of money maintaining two head offices and paying double the necessary salaries.

It's a legitimate business decision.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Sure and they can probably make a ton of money selling that sky rise if they wanted to or perhaps they'll just rename it. Actually i'm not really sure who owns it now that I think of it, only that Canwest's name is on it and it's their head office.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Did not take long to start changing things......the new credit at the end of the Global newscasts now says........Global Television a division of Shaw Media. Would expect new promos before too long.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I just don't understand why they are shutting down the head office in Winnipeg. Could they not put it to use? Seems like a waste to me. Oh well, can't wait to see what Shaw Media does.
I think they probably want to shed the stink of the previous management team and send a clear message that it's a new day. Plus, in Calgary, at least they can promote an image of a world class (albeit smaller) city with a reasonable airport.

My big concern is that all the major Canadian media outlets are now controlled by traditional BDUs. This does not bode well for OTA at all.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Yet Shaw has stated they are upgrading all the Global OTA's and will be providing free satellite equipment to anyone affected, why do you still worry about the future of OTA?

On a side note, Winnipeg will very soon have a new airport, much better than whatever it is Calgary has. Winnipeg may not be a world class city in your eyes but we are at the center of this country and at the center of North America for that matter.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yet Shaw has stated they are upgrading all the Global OTA's and will be providing free satellite equipment to anyone affected, why do you still worry about the future of OTA?
As discussed in other threads, Global's upgrading of OTA transmitter is typically so they qualify for simulcasting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My impression was the CRTC would let transmitters that shut down in non-mandatory markets keep their simsub rights. Is that not the case?

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I wonder if they'll draw Corus into the picture eventually.
In their application they specifically said they plan to keep them separate since Corus is only partially owned by Shaw. To do the merge, they would have to either buy the rest of Corus or give away part of GlobalTV.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Shaw Communications and Corus are separate limited companies. Corus is NOT subsiduary of Shaw.

Both companies are controlled by the Shaw family (having ownership of ~ 10% of the total shares) by owning all the Class A shares.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Longer term, my guess is Shaw will split Canwest into two companies and sell the digital specialty channels to Corus and make the Global Network a separate company (Shaw Media).

By doing this, Shaw will hive off the profitable stuff to Corus and the money losing dog (Global TV) will take a loss. That way Shaw can goto the CRTC and say how conventional television is dying and needs further subsidies.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
This is good and bad news. Good because Shaw is smart enough to not run Shaw media into a black hole, like the Aspers did with Canwest. Bad due to concentration of ownership issues. Good because Shaw has committed to transitioning all stations to digital. Bad because Shaw does nothing without seeing a profit. That probably means cutbacks and FFC in the near future for Global TV.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
That probably means cutbacks and FFC in the near future for Global TV.
I am curious why you think it means FFC? While CanwestGlobal was in favour of FFC, Shaw has been strongly opposed to it.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That was before Shaw owned a network of conventional television stations.

On one hand FFC may hurt their cable and sat business but it definitely helps their network business.

I'm sure the bean counters at Shaw will tumble the numbers and then make a decision on what they support.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts