Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Played this game with friends on the N64 for hours at a time, also one of the only games to date where I played and actually unlocked everything you could possibly unlock. So now my question is has anyone played the Wii version? If so is it the same game or what is a deal? Is it worth re-buying the game??? I am also curious about the online too.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't have it yet, but I plan to pick it up. The game gets good reviews (about 84% average) at some of the game ranking websites. If you read some of those reviews, it appears it is "based on" the movie and the original game but it has been updated to more modern story line and it sounds like it is quite a different game. So it is not just a re-make of the original with higher resolution or anything like that.

But I only know what I know from reading, not playing. Others may be able to comment better.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I got the game for Christmas (special edition with the gold Classic Controller Pro). I've only played the first 2 levels (the Dam and the Facility), but both were very well done and felt like the original, albeit with slightly remodified level designs. The basic objectives were the same, but they also give you better graphics, a movie "feel" and great voice-acting. You can use a lot of different controls, but I prefer the Gamecube controller.

Multiplayer-wise, it's fun both online and offline. I've played about an hour online, and the online system itself is decent. Lack of voice chat really hurts though. It would be nice for Nintendo to make a headset that you can plug into your controller, like the 360 does. One bad thing is that if the "host" disconnects, then everyone gets booted and it searches for a new room for you. Normally this would make sense, but in this case the "host" doesn't get to control anything anyway. I would like to see options like the host being able to pick the maps, the weapons, the options, who goes on what team, etc. But sadly, all of that is set in stone when you enter a room. Off-line play is very fun as well, as my friends and I have found out. We all noticed though that the game itself is very dark, making it hard to see, especially if your screen is chopped up into 4 smaller screens.

The gameplay itself, I would say is a mix between James Bond and Call Of Duty, if that makes sense. You can't jump, but you can vault over almost any jumpable surface. Nice recoil on the guns if you fire for too long too. There's quite a bit of realism in the game, which I like.

Overall I would recommend this game to people who loved the N64 version and are looking to recapture some old memories with offline multiplayer, or looking to make new ones with the story mode and the online play.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts