Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ottawa......

Gang.....

Does anyone have TSReader that can get the Ottawa transmitter?

We thought we had that one set, but I'm getting intermittant reports WMC is still a problem there.

Thanks!

Dan

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
navwizard, I'm told that the difficulty in getting TSReader dumps for Ottawa is that so few people can actually receive this station due to it's low power.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
CIII-Ottawa feedback as requested

navwizard,

I am a regular follower of all of the Ottawa region threads.
The reports about WMC you are still getting could be many different things.
1- The signal we receive in Ottawa is really low, lots of us within the official coverage area just aren't getting a lock on channel 6, even when using a big VHF antenna pointed at the tower and low noise preamp in the attic like me.
2- For those that do receive the signal, sometimes they will lose a recording because the software will lose the signal for a couple of seconds, thus stopping the recording. This is happening to MythTV users too as far as I could read our local threads. We know channel 6 is sensitive to impulse noise from man-made things, power lines, ... so using channel 6 might be what makes their setup less reliable.
3- I have reported a TSID mismatch on CIII with help from OTAJuncqui in the past. He had to do it for me because I cannot lock channel 6. Then I analyzed it and found the mismatch. You have since corrected it as far as people that can lock on the signal have reported back.

It should be noted that this very forum and Trip's website have been posting detailed concerns around low power usage in the VHF Low band which is what Global is doing in Ottawa. I believe there is a section aptly called "VHF Nightmares" on Trip's website about it. I have personally yet to wake up from that nightmare.

I hope these notes will help you address some of the issues we have in Ottawa, I wish you all the best going forward, thank you very much for being here and listening to the users feedback.

·
Registered
334 Posts
OTAJuncqui sent me TSReader from CIII-6 this morning. Outside of the fact that it was riddled with errors due to poor signal, the TSIDs do match. However, all the EIT data says "DTV Program."

Does anyone at all receive CIII-6 cleanly? That signal is really in need of a massive power increase, if not a move to UHF entirely.

- Trip

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Gang.....

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure something hadn't reset and caused the TSIDs to go out.

We know the power is not very high, and we're looking at what if anything our options are there.

Guide data is coming. We have all the gear, but it's taken longer than expected to do a contract with the people supplying the data.

Thanks!

Dan

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
navwizard, it is good to hear that Global is evaluating there options here in Ottawa. I don't know if you have any say in this at all, but here are my thoughts:

Changing channels would be your best option. VHF-LO is problematic, especially in urban areas (it may not be so bad for rural transmitters where roof top antennas are more common and impulse noise is lower). The two most obvious candidates are channel 12 (your unused transitional allocation that is still available) and CKXT's unused post transition allocation of channel 33. For 12 you could probably share CJOH's channel 13 antenna and for channel 33, you could probably share CIVO/CFGS/CHOT (channels 30/34/40 respectively). Both these options would also give you better elevation.

If changing channels isn't an option for some reason, switching from a directional to a non directional broadcast (with the same or more max ERP) would help a lot. Those with the biggest problems seem to in line with the 10 dB nulls. Industry Canada's DTV Post-Transition Allotment Plan doesn't indicate that you need to be directional post transition (the nulls were to protect CBMT, which has moved to 21 and CJOH-TV-6, which is still on air, but no longer eligible for protection).

Myself, even though I am in one of the nulls and am using an attic mount (shown to be problematic), I was able to obtain one of the last 5Y6S cut channel Yagi antennas for channel 6, which has 7.5 dBd gain (which is very good for VHF-LO). With this I am able to receive CIII-DT-6 about 99% of the time (though I get more pixelation on it than any other channel, and I occasionally get the dropout that flavoie mentioned). As a result, I would consider myself an exception rather than the rule for someone in my situation.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
CKMI Quebec City problems

So for whatever reason, the SD sub-channels on Global's three Quebec stations are visible to viewers, causing headaches for those who own certain kinds of tuners.
Over on the French OTA forum, at least one person in Quebec City is reporting their TV is no longer able to tune the HD version of CKMI-DT (20.1).
Additionally, all three channels in Quebec are showing the SD channel as 15.2, no matter what the main HD channel number is. That is also throwing some tuners for a loop.
This is additionally confusing in Quebec City, where Channel 15 is occupied by Télé-Québec.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Something new in Ottawa, TSReader shows 6.1 CIII-HD main channel with TSID 17196 and 41.2 CIII-SD subchannel with TSID 17321. The TSID and subchannel are obviously from CIII Toronto channel 41.
==
Program Association Table
PAT Version Number: 6
Transport Stream ID: 17195 (0x432b)

PMT PID 48 (0x0030) - Program 1 CIII-HD EIT Link
PMT PID 64 (0x0040) - Program 2 CIII-SD EIT Link
Program Map Table(s)
Program Number: 1 CIII-HD
PCR PID: 0x0031

Stream Type: 0x02 MPEG-2 Video PID 49 (0x0031)
MPEG Video: Bitrate 24.000 Mbps Resolution 1920 x 1080i
MPEG Video: Framerate 29.97 fps Aspect Ratio 16:9 Chroma Format 4:2:0

Stream Type: 0x81 AC-3 Audio PID 52 (0x0034)
AC3: Bitrate 384 Kbps Sample Rate 48 KHz
AC3: Mode complete main Coding 3/2 5 L, C, R, SL, SR
Descriptor: ISO639 Language Descriptor
Language: eng
Audio type: undefined
Descriptor: ATSC AC-3 audio Descriptor
ATSC AC3 Descriptor

Stream Type: 0x81 AC-3 Audio PID 53 (0x0035)
AC3: Bitrate 192 Kbps Sample Rate 48 KHz
AC3: Mode complete main Coding 2/0 L, R
ATSC AC3 Descriptor
Program Number: 2 CIII-SD
PCR PID: 0x0041

Stream Type: 0x02 MPEG-2 Video PID 65 (0x0041)
MPEG Video: Bitrate 15.000 Mbps Resolution 704 x 480i
MPEG Video: Framerate 29.97 fps Aspect Ratio 4:3 Chroma Format 4:2:0

Stream Type: 0x81 AC-3 Audio PID 68 (0x0044)
ATSC AC3 Descriptor

Stream Type: 0x81 AC-3 Audio PID 69 (0x0045)
ATSC AC3 Descriptor
Terrestrial Virtual Channel Table
Channel 1
Service Name: CIII-HD
TSID: 17195 (0x432b)
Channel Number: 6.1
Carrier Frequency: 0
Modulation Mode: ATSC (8 VSB)
Source ID: 1
Descriptor: ATSC Service Location Descriptor
Service Location Descriptor:
PCR PID 0x0031
Stream Type 0x02 (MPEG-2 Video) ESPID = 0x0031 Language =
Stream Type 0x81 (AC-3 Audio) ESPID = 0x0034 Language = eng
Stream Type 0x81 (AC-3 Audio) ESPID = 0x0035 Language = eng
Channel 2
Service Name: CIII-SD
TSID: 17321 (0x43a9)
Channel Number: 41.2
Carrier Frequency: 0
Modulation Mode: ATSC (8 VSB)
Source ID: 2
Descriptor: ATSC Service Location Descriptor
Service Location Descriptor:
PCR PID 0x0041
Stream Type 0x02 (MPEG-2 Video) ESPID = 0x0041 Language =
Stream Type 0x81 (AC-3 Audio) ESPID = 0x0044 Language = eng
Stream Type 0x81 (AC-3 Audio) ESPID = 0x0045 Language = eng

·
Registered
104 Posts
Channel 29 Oil Springs (Global)

Just got an email back from the VP of Tech at Shaw (Global) she tells me that 29 will be transitioned before the end of this year. She would let me know me know when, it got approved.

141 - 156 of 156 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.