Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in my uTorrent / Preferences / Bandwidth / Global Upload Rate Limiting .. Maximum Upload Rate (kb/sec) (0 - unlimited) .. for some reason was 92 kb/sec .. and i never even knew about it... or don't remember setting it like that...

with my previous upload maximum from provider at 512 kbps .. i guess it didn't matter anyhow.. 512 kbps was pushing 50-55 kb/sec maximum upload in uTorrent anyhow..

but currently it's 1 mb ... my maximum upload (in uTorrent it's going generally 90-95 kb/sec the fastest)

So now that i noticed that setting there.. i changed 92/sec to 0 (unlimited) .. Applied changes..

and Right Away my upload went faster!!.. like something like 103-117 kb/sec instead of 90-95 kb/sec that it went before...

So is it OK to keep Upload setting there at 0 (unlimited) .. or not recommended .. or some other value maybe should be there.. ?

Thanks..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think that by default, bit torrent will use all of your available bandwidth. By applying a limit to your upload speed, you leave yourself a small amount of bandwidth for outgoing data (emails, http requests, etc...). Same thing on the download side. if I let my torrents have all of my bandwidth, web surfing becomes intolerably slow.

To answer your question, it depends what else you want to do with your network. If you need bandwidth for other tasks, then set the limit a little bit lower than your total upload maximum. If, when torrenting, you walk away from your computer and don't use it for anything else, then by all means - have at it with every bit available.

I've never used uTorrent, but some torrenting software can auto-set maximum upload rates based on the average top speeds detected. The auto-setting usually does leave you a little left over for other tasks (~10% ish?). That may explain why you found yours set to 92 kb/s.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK.. i ll keep it in mind.. thanks..

for now i set it at 0 .. and see how it goes "over all" / all over the net..
For now, as mentioned, utorrent upload is going faster..

If i see other things are lagging.. - i ll set it back to 92 kb/sec .. or at least temporarily until the needed task(s) will be done.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
You never want max upload - it will choke out download.
As a general rule, don't assign more than 80% of your max upstream speed to anything P2P (be that torrents, games, etc) or you'll notice degradation of downstream.

I find 50% is a happy medium to prevent choking of other programs or systems running.
Nothing worse than playing a P2P-powered game that chokes out someone's skype or VOIP :p

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply...

So far i downloaded bunch of files (via HTTP, right from the Browser) .. or / and with a "downloading" program .. - and didn't see any major issues with speed.

Everything arrived quite quickly :)

So far, i also, downloaded few files in uTorrent (not many though .. like 2 or 3 files) ..- and haven't noticed any major issues either...

i ll just keep it as it is for now ("0 - unlimited" as far as Uploading speed in uTorrent is concerned) and see how it goes ... - if i notice any slow down(s) or major issues.. - i can always "turn it down" :)

As to P2P-games etc - i just don't play them Period! :D
... and i DO NOT have VOIP (just have a home-phone, non VOIP one)
Ya.. i can imagine.. VOIP might work "problematically" in this particular case (same with something like IPTV aka "TV that comes via internet" .. i imagine it might be a problem there too)... but currently anyhow.. - i don't use 'em

Skype i hardly ever use.. - it's always OFF .. until if i ever NEED to use it..
When such time arrives (once in a blue moon) .. - i ll just "turn the uploading speed down" in uTorent ;-)

I ll just see how it goes here...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts