Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
So really, Global National isn't that far behind.
CBC leads the pack when it comes to the technical side of news. Most of their coverage is either HD or WS SD, including feeds from London and Washington. I think that 16:9 SD is acceptable for field news coverage and represents good use of existing equipment to provide upgraded coverage. WS SD is also a good solution for smaller stations that can't economically transition to HD at this time.

OMNI 1 & 2 were the first stations in Toronto to produce news in widescreen format. CityTV was next followed by CBC and CTV. Global is the last commercial station in the market still producing news in 4:3 SD. The transition period from OMNI to Global covers a period of 6 to 7 years. To agree that Global National isn't that far behind requires a stretch. That said, Global has not been in any position financially to fund their transition to HD.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Global BC to debut new set next Tuesday!

.. we are still doing a few more tweaks on the new set… will be ready to go next Tuesday…
Enjoy the sunshine!
-Wesla
That's Wesla Wong's response to a question on her website regarding when Global BC would be debuting their new set...they obviously had some technical difficulties. Maybe something to do with green screen backgrounds? Anyways, Global BC will debut their new set next Tuesday...at long last. No word yet on when the field cams will be going HD though...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Wesla is not really a reliable source when it comes to these types of updates. She is just the "meteorologist". A more reliable source would be someone from engineering department.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Back in Studio 2 today. New Set launch. Never got into the Virtual sets at all,

so I am not liking this one at all. Can't even see into the news room anymore.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
The HD picture of the Noon News Hour on Bell only looks marginally better than the SD version. How does the HD version look OTA in Vancouver?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Just an FYI peeps... Every global studio in the country will be the same.

The HD parts I must say are very clear but Global still has not figured out how to do the whole HD thing properly yet! For example when you see the HD newscast they have to have everything so far away inorder to fit properly in SD view, as a result in HD we see huge gaps of space with one of the anchors standing next to a fake tv that you can hardly read the data that is displayed because they are so far away from the camera to begin with...

Is this how HD news production works? It seems like Global has to work so hard to make sure everything fits into an SD version but when people are watching HD they cannot see much! Isn't there a wayaround it?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Even the news anchors are having a hard time getting used to the new set. The other day on the Noon News, Squire, their sports director, was complaining that he had to get rid of all his green ties due to the virtual green screen background.
What's with the red comfy couches? Frankly, we don't care for them and my wife and I would like their set to look like a proper newsroom rather than somebody's family room.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Really? Thanks for the info. I don't think they've been used so prominently as they have been lately since they started using their new set.
BTW. I hate the new pop-up news headlines at the bottom of the screen. The crawler that ran across the screen worked really well and could be easily read IMHO. With this new system you notice three or four words at the end of an item and you have to wait until the the headline comes around again, when the cycle repeats, to find out what actually happened.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have seen them used during the 1995 set/era around the time of "Money Talks", and also on the "pets set" ie. "Noon News" special guests, etc

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Yeah, same same in Edmonton, what gives? About 6 weeks ago they said soon on the news broadcast but still no go. Before that it was September 20th IIRC.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Global Toronto News Now HD

Sometimes I watch CTV at 11, sometimes Global - depends on what's in the lead-in segment. Was surprised tonight when I tuned to Global and saw the 11PM news in HD. The studio was HD and they had widescreen cameras in the field...

41 - 60 of 98 Posts