Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They will be debuting a new set to compliment there new HD format! Anyone watching there newscasts now will notice they are on a temporary virtual set while the new set is under construction.

Global National returns back to BC in September also, so it will more than likely go HD along with Global BC!

It will be exciting to see the end result and HD finally!

·
Registered
725 Posts
With CTV Vancouver recently lowers its OTA broadcast bitrate from 17Mbps to 13.8Mbps, Global BC remains the highest bitrate (18Mbps) local HD station. With Global News going HD, I might as well jump ship.:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't think many people care any more about global news going hd.

I am pretty irritated by their actions on that front. They were ready 2 years ago to go hd with local news and held all off because they decided not to launch local hd until national news was ready to go hd from Ottawa.
If you ask me, this was a pure badly managed stuff.
I am so unhappy with global for this, I can't stand their management.
In last 2 years I completely slowly cooled off from BCTV that I was always very found of.
In 2 years new technologies come and go, and they stay hd ready idle, waiting for a corporate ok.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Global News Calgary is also on a temporary set at the moment … no doubt for the same reason. Although this one is not a green screen — the set objects are real and are recycled from elements of their old set.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
CTV beat them by a year to HD News. So I now get my news from CTV. Don't see any reason to change that. Sorry Global; you snooze, you lose.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not based on what I was told.
This was like over 2 years ago or something. I don't think there were any financial issues halting things back then.
What I was told was that all HD was installed and ready to go with studio HD camaras and all, but needed to wait for Global National show to also get HD ready first (not allowing a local news to go HD first) and then also needed to wait for their Bell fiber to be upgraded to link Ottawa to Vancouver for this.
I may be wrong, but to me sounds logical how they ran that network to bancrupcy.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
It is a combination of both. The main control centre for global has been digital for some time and in use. The main delay has been their reluctance to go digital over the air until forced to do it (or not) as the change-over deadline approaches.

·
Registered
82 Posts
With Kevin Newman leaving on Friday and with Global National returning to Vancouver on the 23rd. Will it be going HD then or in September with CHAN's local newscast?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would imagine not, I think they will use the same set as Global BC... As long as the new set has real TVs and not completely gree nscreen I will be happy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, for those of you expecting a real set, you'll be disappointed. It will be "a mix of real and virtual elements". In this video, you can see some of the plans for the set as well as a construction update...the set looks pretty fake, IMO. I'll be sticking with CTV Vancouver for my HD news...

·
Registered
725 Posts
The HD cameras are surprisingly small. Even with todays' technology, I would think under studio lighting condition big glass is still needed for good quality pictures.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On the air with HD news on Sept. 20, eh? Wonder if that date is valid across the network.
Yep...Global National, as well as local news in Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto and of course Vancouver are all launching in HD on Sept. 20 with an updated graphics pack as well. Look on Global National's Facebook page and you'll find a video with Dawna Friesen giving you a tour of the new set.

·
Registered
11 Posts
is the background music staying the same or changing?
To be honest, I have no idea but I don't see Global changing their news theme any time soon...from what I'm hearing, the new graphics pack won't vary much from the one that Global TV stations are using now...a different opening sequence and lower thirds are guaranteed though.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts