1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
136 Posts
They should be forced to carry the other Canadian news networks in HD before given approval for anything else. The only HD news channel currently is CNN.

·
Registered
371 Posts
^^

CBC News Network, HLN, SUN News, CTV News Channel, CP24, RDI are all in HD or have an HD feed.

Beside, providers will mostly make us pay extra to get Global News anyway.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
BC One: A big dissapointment

I really don't know why they didn't do this in the first place instead of launching BC Global 1 HD (Ch.216) which basically repeats Global BCTV Ch.211.
I traded in my old Motorola set-top box to get Ch.216 HD as it broadcasts in the MPEG 4 format. I find that we rarely view this channel as they show nothing different than what we have already seen on Ch.211 HD. I know a lot of people can't get 216 HD as they have the older MPEG 2 boxes.
I'm waiting to see if their National News Channel will broadcast in MPEG 4. It could be a big mistake if most of their potential audience can't receive it due to having MPEG 2 boxes.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Will Shaw Cable or Satellite be able to even carry Global News1. Will they have enough non owned stations to offer it. What is the ratio of non-owned to owned/related digital channels these days.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Dr.Dave, I agree. I wonder if this is going to affect their bottom line if a good percentage of their potential audience can't receive MPEG 4 channels?

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
I wonder if this is going to affect their bottom line if a good percentage of their potential audience can't receive MPEG 4 channels?
If Shaw Media gets the CRTC to approve Global News 1 as a Category C national news channel, they can force every provider in Canada to carry it in their news theme or similar package.

·
Registered
309 Posts
^ I agree. The news channels are doing now what the music channels did a few years ago. Look at CNN HN for example. It used to be a channel that you could turn to to get a quick fix of news. Now it is filled with Forensic Files on the weekend and the likes of Nancy Grace on the weekdays.

As with the Music Channels, that is happening for a reason. And I suspect it is exactly what bigoranget says: lack of viewers for straight news.

As usual, Shaw comes to the party too late and/or their management totally fails (as they did when they decided to forgo cell phones and stick with landlines).

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
jaxon9032 "As usual, Shaw comes to the party too late and/or their management totally fails (as they did when they decided to forgo cell phones and stick with landlines)."

I think they really dropped the ball when they didn't get into the cellphone business. IMHO:If they had, there would be a bit more competition between the various wireless companies.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
They don't need anyone watching it if they can get into the news bundle with all the other news channels. People will be paying them in order to get the news channel they actually want.

If we get true a-la-carte instead? Then yeah, this thing is dead on arrival.

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
Official Press Release

GLOBAL NEWS PUTS LOCAL VIEWERS FIRST WITH INNOVATIVE SUBMISSION FOR NEW NATIONAL NEWS SERVICE

Toronto, September 22, 2014 – Shaw Media is pleased to announce that it has formally submitted an application to the CRTC for a new national, English-language specialty programming service, Global News 1. This innovative, all-Canadian channel would incorporate separate local news feeds covering as many as 28 different communities, greatly expanding and diversifying the amount of news and information programming in the Canadian broadcasting system.

“As a leading network and content-experience company, we’re excited about the ability of Global News 1 to meet the changing needs of consumers,” said Troy Reeb, Senior Vice President, News and Station Operations, Shaw Media. “Canadians have made clear the vital importance they place on local news at the same time as they are increasingly turning to 24/7 sources. Global News 1 will connect Canadians not just to the stories that shape their neighborhoods, but that tie the country together.”

Global News 1 will feature a national newsfeed bookended by local news segments tailored specifically for each of the markets it serves. Using next-generation technology, the service will be framed by a continuous data feed of hyper-local headlines and community events. With the ability to cover live, breaking news at the local, regional or national level, Global News 1 will be like no other service on the dial.

If approved, Global News 1 will feature distinct local feeds in all 12 markets where Global currently operates conventional television stations. It would also add local newsrooms to eight more communities where there is either no local television news or limited competition. These include Fort McMurray and Red Deer, AB; Sault Ste. Marie, Niagara, Mississauga and Ottawa, ON; Quebec City, QC and Charlottetown, PE. Shaw Media is also proposing to open the channel to eight small-market, independent broadcasters who would have the opportunity to add their own local content to the service and retain all local advertising in their markets.

At a time when conventional television stations are facing significant economic challenges, Global News 1 offers an innovative solution for the long-term sustainability of local programming, along with greater access to a diverse range of national voices. There is currently no specialty news service in this country that provides such a unique offering to Canadians.
Source: http://www.shawmedia.ca/Media/PressReleaseDetail.aspx?pressReleaseId=6442459895

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
So does this mean if it gets approved by the CRTC that all providers must carry it, but only subs from your provider those that want to sub to it can? So in other words your provider must carry it but you have the option too sub to it or not?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Anyone know how this impacts on St. John's, NL? I expect that CJON is going to be one of the eight smaller market independents that will feed content into Global News 1?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts