Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 450 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
The only market I think Global should really have a local affiliate (that it doesn't have one in) is Ottawa. All others are small and would most likely loose money, so it wouldn't be economically feasible for them to open shop in a small city like London.
There is no reason a market the size of London should not be able to support second and third television stations. The population of London and all the surrounding counties is about 980,000 - more than each of the entire provinces of Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia, and a lot more than the population of Newfoundland and Labrador. And yet local television in those three provinces is a lot more abundant than in the London area.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
As argilo said in the Track The Daily Status of Canada's DTV Stations During the Transition forum, Canwest Global's application for a post-transitional Digital Television transmitter for CIII-DT-6 in Ottawa has now been published on the CRTC's website. After looking it over, here are some things I noticed.

• They will remain on channel 6.
  • The EHAAT has increased (from 257.3 m to 261.3 n) due to a recalculation of HAATs, not a change in antenna height. The ERP has been reduced from the value in IC's post transition plan (from 3.5 kW to 3.3 kW) as a result however. :(
  • They will "flash cut" at the end of Transition.
  • They share an antenna with two FM radio stations (CHUO-FM and CILV-FM).
  • The existing 2-bay, 4-panel with Circular polarization (likely due to being shared with FM stations) will be used.
  • The shape of the analog and digital contours are surprisingly different considering the same antenna is used.
  • There will supposedly be a 2% increase in population when comparing the NLBC to Analog B contours to try and better match the Digital Urban and Analog A contour populations.
I have serious doubts as to how realistic these contours are in actual practice. On top of all my usual concerns about using VHF-LO, they are doing an apples and oranges comparison by changing the HAAT used without actually changing the antenna height.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
"Flash cut at the end of transition" means they will flash cut on August 31, 2011.
Exactly. To make things especially clear they say, "Since the proposed operation will not operate during Transition, no analysis is required relative to Transition DTV allotments." Now I can't imagine they would have any effect on any Transition DTV allotments, but that is beside the point.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Wow it's an awfully long time. It's amazing how some networks are digital now. Congrats to those networks who took the initiative to get on with it.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Exactly. To make things especially clear they say, "Since the proposed operation will not operate during Transition, no analysis is required relative to Transition DTV allotments." Now I can't imagine they would have any effect on any Transition DTV allotments, but that is beside the point.
If they were going to operate during the transition period, then, should the application exceed the parameters in the transitional allotment plan, they have to analyse the effect on both analog stations and digital transitional stations. (Channel 6 is their post-transtional allotment. The trnsitional allotment for Global in Ottawa was channel 12.)
A station can elect to transition to digital only BEFORE August 31 2011, but in that case, they would have to analyse the impact of operating on a post-transitional allotment before the transition. For example, the impact of channel 6 DTV Ottawa on channel 6 analog in Montreal may be different than the (already analyzed) impact of DTV channel 6 Ottawa on the post-transitional channel 6 DTV allotment in Montreal.

I'm not saying they would have had an impact, but by virtue of the fact that it was not in the either the pre- or post-transtional allotment plans, the applicant would be responsible for the analysis. (Just because you already know the answer does not mean you don't have to prove it.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
CHAN

CHAN-TV will stay on UHF, post August 31, 2011. CRTC has approved application to increase ERP to 40 KW.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-738.htm

The new transmitter would operate on channel 22 with an average effective radiated power (ERP) of 22,000 watts (maximum ERP of 40,000 watts with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 656 metres).

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-738 approves Global BC's (CHAN-TV) post-transitional digital transmitter on channel 22.

One thing that I don't get though is in response to an intervention by ZoomerMedia Limited that this transmitter would interfere with their planned digital rebroadcasting transmitter CHNU-DT-1 Victoria, Canwest "argued that its own use of channel 8 would result in significanlty reduced coverage compared to the use of channel 22," yet Canwest plans on using channel 6 (which is even worse than channel 8) for Global Toronto (CIII-TV) repeaters in both Paris and Ottawa.

·
Registered
115 Posts
This just in from the CRTC - Global Halifax stays on channel 8 when digital, with pitiful ERP:

"The new transmitter will operate on channel 8 with an average effective radiated power (ERP) of 410 watts (maximum ERP of 1,000 watts with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 241 metres). The Commission notes that CIHF-DT will operate on a channel that is different than the one allotted in the Department of Industry’s (the Department’s) DTV Post-Transition Allotment Plan."

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
They're also approved for channel 15 in Montreal, from the new CBC/SRC UHF-low antenna on the Mount Royal candelabra tower.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Did I read that correctly? 410 watts in Halifax?! Wow....

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Did I read that correctly? 410 watts in Halifax?! Wow....
You did. I did a double take too when I read the CRTC web page today.

I visited Halifax last spring, and judging from the lay of the land, that ain't going to go far....

Might as well hook it into a dummy load....

These requests and decisions simply defy logic from my perspective.

Cameron

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
The low power allotments are all on VHF frequencies due to problems caused by co-channel assignments and tropo skip at those frequencies. IMHO, VHF should be turned over to other uses, like they did in some European countries. But then, I doubt they are as valuable to communications companies as the high UHF frequencies that were reassigned. Dropping VHF frequencies, instead of UHF frequencies, would be a lot better for broadcasters and consumers. As it is, consumers must deal with the cost and logistics of installing huge VHF antennas to pick up low powered VHF stations.

CIII in Paris is a problem at 100,000w. It's going to be almost useless at 4,000w. I see they now have transitional approval on channel 6 at a different antenna height. I'm guessing they are going to do some off-hours testing before they cut over full time. IMHO, it would be a lot better for everyone if they used a higher powered UHF channel, instead of 6, for post transitional broadcasting.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I understand the "logic" behind low ERP on VHF stations. I've followed the DTV transition in the US and what a disaster low ERP VHF was down there. Being so isolated, Halifax won't likely have many issues with co-channel interference, even during tropo. Nonetheless, such a low ERP will make the station a challenge at best outside of the city.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's a conspiracy going on here by the stations.

What's the best way to turn off viewers from antenna television? Make the ERP low on VHF, therefore viewers have difficulty getting the signal. And other things as well, such as a defective programming guide, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Many full powered analog stations in the US in the 7-13 range were 316kW ERP. Today in digital many are 30-40kW ERP. So, that 400W transmitter IS a joke. Maybe a 10 mile reliable coverage range.

61 - 80 of 450 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.