Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 450 Posts

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
It is interesting in both applications, Global is wanting to use a different channel than IC allocated them (channel 8 instead of 26 in Halifax and channel 15 instead of 51 in Montreal). In both cases it will result in an increase in coverage.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
It is interesting in both applications, Global is wanting to use a different channel than IC allocated them (channel 8 instead of 26 in Halifax and channel 15 instead of 51 in Montreal). In both cases it will result in an increase in coverage.
For the Montreal case, I believe it was the only way they could share the new CBC/SRC UHF antenna on Mount Royal. 36 would have worked (better, too, since it could go as high as 845kW, ISTR), had V stayed on the mountian on 35, but V will be statying 3-4 km away, and that is too close for adjacent channel broadcasting without being co-located.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That is actually very scary. It means that a bunch of applications have been approved without any public consultation. I was actually planning on intervening against Global's Ottawa repeater primarily because they will be remaining on channel 6, which has proven to be very problematic (the analog signal is very difficult to receive well and experience in the USA has shown that VHF-LO is even worse for DTV). Now it looks like that won't be possible. :mad:
Looks like Global Ottawa was approved according to the new streamlined procedures. Which obviously don't even get announced until approved. http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-690.htm

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
You never know. I know I am intending on filing a complaint. If they get enough of them, they might do something.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Is it too late to complain about CIII-TV-6 in Paris?
In Paris it is actually CIII-TV. CIII-TV-6 is in Ottawa. For Global Toronto, this bulletin only covers CIII-TV-6 and CIII-TV-22 (Stevenson/Windsor). That doesn't mean that CIII-TV's application hasn't been approved yet, only that it wasn't approved during the time period that this bulletin covers (1 May to 30 June 2010).

·
Registered
469 Posts
In Paris it is actually CIII-TV. CIII-TV-6 is in Ottawa. For Global Toronto, this bulletin only covers CIII-TV-6 and CIII-TV-22 (Stevenson/Windsor). That doesn't mean that CIII-TV's application hasn't been approved yet, only that it wasn't approved during the time period that this bulletin covers (1 May to 30 June 2010).
Yeah, so we should expect to see it come out in streamlined fashion? Its already AP on the list.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Post transition CIII-TV-41 in Toronto will cover a larger area so those in London might also be able to argue that CIII-TV could (should?) be moved further west to better serve them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Global's intentions, Shaw's intentions

Global's intentions were to upgrade 20 transmitters (in the "mandatory markets"), based on what they submitted to the CRTC last spring. However, Shaw has proposed to upgrade all 86 of the Global transmitters. The proposal is part of the public benefits package Shaw put forward related to the purchase of Canwest Global. The hearing is going on right now and we will likely know soon whether this will really happen.

It's interesting that Shaw says it believes "such conversion is strongly in the public interest and may, in the longer term, lead to innovative new applications, including signal multiplexing, that will further strengthen and enrich our domestic broadcasting system" !. First broadcaster that I know of to say anything like that...

·
Registered
469 Posts
It's interesting that Shaw says it believes "such conversion is strongly in the public interest and may, in the longer term, lead to innovative new applications, including signal multiplexing, that will further strengthen and enrich our domestic broadcasting system" !. First broadcaster that I know of to say anything like that...
Interesting indeed! The CBC doesn't even seem to care to that degree. In any case, if that is true then I'm quite impressed with their dedication to the conversion when everyone else seems to want to shut transmitters down.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
While I don't argue that Shaw sees opportunities in transitioning all of GlobalTV's transmitters, I also think there is a bit of a political game being played. As surprising as it sounds, the cable companies want OTA to survive the transition for a variety of reasons. Probably one of the biggest ones is the fear that they would loose market share to the DTH companies in a world without OTA. Even if they actually gain customers, a reduction in market share looks bad to their investors.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
At a CRTC hearing in Calgary today, Shaw said its purchase of Global Television includes a promise to spend $23 million to install DTV transmitters in smaller markets.
On a side note, Shaw also promises to introduce/revive local morning news in Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg, Toronto, Montreal and Halifax.
All this according to a report I just saw on the Early News on Global Calgary. Missed half of it — I'll watch again at 6 p.m. to see if I've missed any more interesting nuggets of information.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
CIII-TV staying on 6 in Paris is a very real problem for the London area, probably more so than in Ottawa. The current channel 6 signal is difficult to pick up at 100,000 watts. Even Rogers had difficulty getting a clean signal on 6 when they received it OTA for local distribution. London is a hot tropo area due to it's location midway between Detroit, Cleveland, Erie and Toronto. (Tropo is rampant in Summer months.) That doesn't even count sightly more distant markets such as Toledo and Pittsburgh which occasionally bounce in. At 4000 watts, CIII-TV is going to be almost impossible to receive and it will be subject interference from distant signals. There will be 4 unallocated post transition frequencies in London, 5 if you count the frequency vacated by SUN. 3 of those are UHF frequencies suitable for a station such as CIII-TV. Even CIII-TV's transitional frequency (channel 30 at 250,000 watts) would provide better coverage (probably better than it currently has.) I suspect that Global is doing the bare minimum for the digital transition to snub their noses at the CRTC and viewers alike. We can hope that Shaw does better.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Broadcasting on channel 6 (CIII Paris)is only an issue. If the broadcast power remains at 4kW. Now if CIII Paris broadcasts at 15 - 20 kW. Then the signal should be quite good.

Another point, if CIII was to use a UHF channel. Then the best RF to use would be channel 46 as there nothing using channel 46 for 250 km +. (Note: there maybe a random ch 46 LP somewheres).

Read ya l8r,
Al

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Broadcasting on channel 6 (CIII Paris)is only an issue. If the broadcast power remains at 4kW. Now if CIII Paris broadcasts at 15 - 20 kW. Then the signal should be quite good.
Maybe not. Channel 6 in Philadelphia has trouble in the suburbs at 30 kW.
Having full power FM stations clse by in London isn't going to help.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I have no issue receiving CIII Paris analog 6, and I'm about 20km away. The image is perfect--no interference. But this will definitely change for those with rabbit ears in the vicinity (or a low antenna mount).

21 - 40 of 450 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.