Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Global (CHAN) news is now widescreen and partially HD. The cameras are HD but the on screen graphics are still SD.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
You sure it isn't 16x9 480i? I recently got fooled by WGRZ (NBC) in Buffalo doing that...sneaky buggers. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You sure it isn't 16x9 480i? I recently got fooled by WGRZ (NBC) in Buffalo doing that...sneaky buggers. ;)
The indoor cameras are HD (not sure if it's 1080i or 720p) but the on screen graphics (lower thirds, etc) and most (all?) of the news footages are 480i.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Global (CHAN) news is now widescreen

I tend to agree with Jase88. My feeling is that Global is now 16:9 480i.

A good way to tell if a transmission is HD is to look at the hair of the news anchor. If in HD, the individual strands can be seen - check out CBC The National. I don't see individual strands of hair on Global news, more like the hair has been air brushed.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The indoor cameras are HD (not sure if it's 1080i or 720p) ...
With a full HD screen the difference between 720 and 1080 is very apparent. 720 foresakes crisp picture sharpness for double the effective framerate. Take ABC and Fox as an example, who have unfortunately - most would argue - chosen to broadcast in 720p. Except for fast-moving scenes (mostly sports) the 720p format delivers an overall inferior picture. As far as I know the CRTC encourages the use of 1080i. Hopefully all Canadian broadcasters (like the majority of US broadcasters) will choose this format for HD material.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Fake HD

I don't think Global BC's HD is really HD at the moment. As people before me have said, their graphics are SD and most of their news segments are SD as well. When the camera is on the anchor, it still doesn't seem HD to me. Looks below 720p but whatever. Also, their studio is a fake green screen. I hate green screen. I still believe CTV BC is the only full HD channel in all of BC. Their programs are HD, PSIP is working fine and most other programs including the newscast are HD. Their HD studio is awesome and so is their newscast. 'nuff said. :D

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
I briefly caught a glimpse of Global National news at 5:30pm, and noted that it's now in 16x9. OP: Is this the news program that you're referring to? Or local CHAN/BC news programming?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Full HD 1080i

All Studio Cameras are 16x9 1080i. National uses all Orad Virtual sets. Global BC is Virtaul behind desk and at both Traffic and Weather positions. Set behind red couch is real.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts